Got me a new place to live

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
3400 square feet on 1.86 acres with a pool. Our mortgage? 1600.00. God's country.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:06 pm
Quote:
I can reunite with my beloved cat, Rocky!!! Yahoo!!!!

I take it he's a southpaw?

Is he a black cat? You know that old superstition that's it's bad luck if a black cat crosses your path? Well, I heard the other day that it's actually good luck if you own one!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
sublime1 wrote:
Sweet Home Chicago!

It seems like a mortgage would be cheaper, then again property values probably reflect that cost.

A one bedroom condo is from $200,000 to $250,000 in Chicago or more the closer to downtown you get. Are the property values similar or is the rent just astronomical?

Well, in Manhattan, all the way up to spanish harlem on the east side, and about up to Columbia University on the West, it is just astronomical. There are some better neighborhoods up higher that are cheaper, but they are out of that "sweet zone", which is Manhattan. I thought about trying to buy something (in fact, I have thought about that every since I first moved here seven years ago), but I just don't have enough money. I think there might be some exceptions, but these condos/co-ops all want 20 percent down, and even the cheapest studio nowadays is around $200,000. I'd say a nice one bedroom in Manhattan would be at least $300k.

Of course, if you go to an area that is still kind of a shithole, but near a nice area, like Spanish Harlem, there may be deals to be had. The only problem with that is you have to wait about ten years before your neighborhood moves beyond being a hellhole.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:
I can reunite with my beloved cat, Rocky!!! Yahoo!!!!

I take it he's a southpaw?

Is he a black cat? You know that old superstition that's it's bad luck if a black cat crosses your path? Well, I heard the other day that it's actually good luck if you own one!!

Why then, I should be in luck! He is a black cat! He was actually born sometime around Halloween too! That should be extra good luck, right?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
I have a friend who sells real estate in NYC. We did the town a few months ago, from Wall St. to Harlem, and she regaled another friend and I with the rental horror stories that abound throughout the city. Clear tnrough Harlem and probably beyond.
Chicago, when it comes to rental property, is stupid but NYC is just plain crazy. Hubby and I have got over 3000 sq. ft on 1/2 an acre and our mortgage is less than $1200.00. This is Heaven on Earth.

But Kicky, New York is a fabulous place. For those who find it worth the price of admission I say, have at it!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:30 pm
If I were to sell my property, Kicky, and the realtors have been after me relentlessly, I could pocket a cool 7 million.

And then I could afford an apartment next to you.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:34 pm
Quote:
He is a black cat! He was actually born sometime around Halloween too! That should be extra good luck, right?

Stands to reason! Give your little cat a hug for me! :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
eoe, you are so right. It's the best. I will slowly go broke just to stay here.

Gus, come on up! Actually, you could probably afford a nice two bedroom for that, and then we could be roommies!!!

I collect little shoes as a hobby. I hope this doesn't bother you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:37 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:
He is a black cat! He was actually born sometime around Halloween too! That should be extra good luck, right?

Stands to reason! Give your little cat a hug for me! :wink:

You got it. Wow, I'm getting really excited about this! Now, if I can just get lucky enough to not have to move in a blizzard, I'll be all set.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:37 pm
Kicky, the photos that you sent me are wonderful.

I love your new apartment:

http://www.armenialiberty.org/images/photo/barricade4.jpg

You've done marvelous things with the kitchen:

http://www.espa.org.uk/jpegs/residential/large/8-Old-Kitchen.jpg

The livingroom was featured in House & Garden:

http://www.hodip.com/house3/livingroom.JPG

The bathroom is number 1:

http://greggman.com/images/random/tiny-toilet.jpg

I'm sure Rocky will be really happy to be there and be back together with you:

http://www.meankitty.com/images/erikaspatches2.jpg

When's the house-warming?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
Thanks Reyn! That kitchen is awesome! It's almost as big as my whole apartment.

Housewarming? Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. Let me move in first, then I'll let you know.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
My X lives in NYC, have you seen her? Tell me have you seen her?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
What's she look like?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
kickycan wrote:
Thanks Reyn! That kitchen is awesome! It's almost as big as my whole apartment.

Housewarming? Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. Let me move in first, then I'll let you know.

Now that you mention it, it looks bigger than when I first looked at it. Must be one of those optical illusion things. The green is awesome! :wink:

Hey, we can always throw you one of those house-warming doos right here on good ole A2K. That way, you'll know we won't pee on the walls and generally wreck the place. Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
I wouldn't mind having a brownstone around Malcom X Blvd.
and 110 - 114th street. Most of this area gets restored now
and prices are still pretty reasonable. In 5 or 10 years time,
this will be a great area to live.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
I am quite excited about the prospect of having kickycan as a roommate. Perhaps Kicky and I could invite Jane over for a sandwich.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Calamity Jane, you are probably right. Like I mentioned earlier, there are a few areas like that. Spanish Harlem is another one.

Yes, Jane, Gus and I would love to make a sandwich with you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Reyn wrote:
Hey, we can always throw you one of those house-warming doos right here on good ole A2K. That way, you'll know we won't pee on the walls and generally wreck the place. Laughing

That would be very fun. Okay, in a couple weeks, after I've moved in, it's on!!!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm
This "alcove" thing reminds me of a funny old movie called "A Thousand Clowns." Jason Robards was this guy living with his 10 year old son, Nick, in a small apartment in NYC.

At one point, he gets a little annoyed with his son, so he yells, "Nick! Go to your alcove!!"

Hahahaha!! Welp.....it was funny in the movie....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
I can here the crickets chirping out there.....
0 Replies