No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:01 am
Goodness me!
I didn't think cats could get rabies. Can they? Confused
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
Certainly they can. It's recommended here by vets that any cat that goes outside have a rabies shot. we always decline, since our kitties are 100% indoors.

We do, however, get the other combo, which includes distemper, etc.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
That changed voice described in the article is highly typical of rabies in cats. Although it's not exactly pathognomonic, it's pretty much of a dead giveaway for the proper diagnosis. Also, nationwide, cats tend to be more at risk for rabies than dogs because they're much more likely to catch infected bats.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
CowDoc wrote:
Also, nationwide, cats tend to be more at risk for rabies than dogs because they're much more likely to catch infected bats.

Out of curiousity, do you have any stats on how frequent such outbreaks are?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Wow. I have heard some strange noises come from cats but I'm not sure I can quite grasp this one. I am so grateful they caught the cat and are now treating the bite victims.

I only pray that no other animal was bitten that no one knows about.

Cowdoc, what are some of the symptoms someone should look for?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:13 pm
First, Reyn - in areas of the U.S. where rabies is not endemic, bats tend to be the first line of infection, and cats are much more likely than dogs to be exposed from these critters. In my home state of Idaho - at least so far - the only domestic animals found to be infected have been cats, and all of them carried the bat strain. When you get to the northern plains, particularly North Dakota and eastern Montana, the primary carrier critter is the skunk, and everything winds up getting infected after that. By the way, skunks are the only species known to actually concentrate the virus in their saliva. Stay the hell away from them when your in a rabies-endemic area.
Now, momma - in any species, the cardinal sign of rabies infection is a change of behavior of any sort. The three forms commonly cited are: 1. Furious rabies - this is the classic old "hydrophobia", with the critter atacking everything in sight and foaming at the mouth.
2. "Dumb" rabies - a previously hyperactive animal may just sit and stare. Definitely, a calm or less active demeanor.
3. Atypical rabies - anything other form in which the disease happens to manifest itself.
Again, behavioral change is the consistent sign. The changed voice is generally consistent, but only in cats. Does that help?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:40 pm
Yes, it does, CowDoc. I really appreciate you answering that question for me. Thank you. :wink:

Have you ever had to treat many cases of rabies?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:42 pm
CowDoc wrote:
....bats tend to be the first line of infection.....

<edit>

When you get to the northern plains, particularly North Dakota and eastern Montana, the primary carrier critter is the skunk......

So why are animals like bats and skunks first in line to pick up the rabies?

And where the heck do they get it from?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:48 pm
Msolga, I'm surprised at you...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:56 pm
in eastern ontario there is usually a rabies warning issued every spring. many areas are baited with small meat portions that contain rabies vaccine. in our area foxes and skunks seem to be the main carriers. the wildlife service people try to erect barriers against spreading of rabies by using the rabies vaccine meat. they also set traps to catch animals and vaccinate them. since there seems to be a fairly wide-spread rabies problem in northern new york state and the animals don't seem to respect borders, it is a difficult problem to get under control. we are always pretty careful around animals - particularly when we see skunks and foxes around that don't run away when they see a human coming.
while there are now shots available if one should get bitten, the shots are not much fun. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
screaming cat
i forget to mention the racoons, of which we have plenty !
the ontario government has a website with plenty of information on
...RABIES AND RABIES CONTROL...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:12 am
Here's Reyn's link anew, not that it is necessary, since he gave it, but that I've still got it with my cursor..
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/5890364/detail.html
Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:42 am
I guess Hawaii is the only rabies free state. They maintain very strict laws on bringing pets in.
roger

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:45 am
@Sglass,
I will send you a dozen rattlesnake eggs. We'll claim they're food - till they hatch.
Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:55 am
@roger,
ok sounds like time to shake, rattle and roll. how big are the eggs?
roger

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:58 am
@Sglass,
Tip of the little finger, unless you have big hands. Just kind of bury them in warm sand somewhere.
Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:09 am
@roger,
I'm game.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 08:58 am
@ossobuco,
Laughing It always amazes me when I see something show up from the past.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
Sorry to be a grump, she says grumpily, but why do folks keep tagging something about pets as 'pets and garden'. Once in a while they are inter-related, but many times not. It's near impossible to remove that as a tag, and it precludes there being room for something else as a tag on the occasions when there are several interest groups that might find this online.