British VS American English

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
We generally just say cars . . . and if we're out of town, then we say we are going into town . . . there have been quite a few assertions made in this thread about what Americans do or don't say which are completely without foundation . . .

But Set, there are SO many weird things that you Yanks say......we just get confused.

Bill Bryson did a big analysis of this whole thing in one of his books. I shall have to dig it out and refresh my memory.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:45 pm
Could be "Bryson's dictionary of troublesome words".

'Set' has 126 different meanings as a verb, 58 as a noun, and 10 as a participial adjective.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
Who are these Yanks to whom you refer . . . you tryin' to jerk my chain, Bubba ? ! ? ! ?

Mon Vieux, je vais me raser . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
Voila
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
Hi, oak, long time no see. What you been up to lately?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:38 pm
hi CI ---------- lately I've been tripping the light fantastic, the emphasise beeing on "tripping."
A bit like taking a step in the dark & falling arse over elbow
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
Question:

The pronounciation of "whinge".

Does it rhyme with "singe"?
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Question:

The pronounciation of "whinge".

Does it rhyme with "singe"?

Yes.

How about "flat":

American - deflated tire
British - apartment
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:29 pm
Flat can also mean out of cash to Americans, as in flat broke, and it can mean a beverage which has lost it's fizz . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
A soft drink can also be flat.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
I see this thread hasn't gone "tits up" yet then!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
A "flat" can also be a tray of seedlings.

Mahealani--

Thank you. I feel much more worldly and sophisticated with that piece of information.
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:27 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Thank you. I feel much more worldly and sophisticated with that piece of information.

You're welcome. I find it very appropriate when my little cousin is vocally engaged in a major snit (which is often), I can say to her "Reeeeally, darling, what ARE you whinging about now?" It's particularly effective if one's chin and nose are slightly elevated and you carry the look of someone who has just had a sniff of something rather foul. The last time I said this to her, she announced "My Mom just tells me to shut up...I think I like your way better" and immediately did...shut up, that is. She is now saying it to her little brother. It's so nice to know one is teaching the young ones something useful, yes? Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:51 pm
Nothing is more satisfying than seeing civilized tactics increase and multiply. It beats messing about in boats.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:58 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Nothing is more satisfying than seeing civilized tactics increase and multiply. It beats messing about in boats.

ain't nuthin beats messing about in boats!

Or

Nothing is better than messing about in boats!
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:12 am
Ever read the satirical piece 'Declaration of Revocation' by John Cleese?

Same subject:

Quote:
The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour'; skipping the letter 'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part. Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters. You will end your love affair with the letter 'Z' (pronounced 'zed' not 'zee') and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise."
0 Replies