British VS American English

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
I think it was George Bernard Shaw who remarked that the British and Americans are two nations divided by a common language.

Many words, expressions, grammatical rules, orthographics, semantics, punctuation, and vernaculars are very different. We have all heard the "fag", "fanny" and "pants" jokes and hope we don't dwell too long on those.

I wanted to start a thread that will be very interesting. Please include as many unusually differences not only from the countries respectively, but also former colonies or territories or or foreign countries that have adapted into their own lexicon from either the US or Great Britain.

My first introduction to British English was while I lived in Lamu, Kenya for three years. I was a secondary (not high) school teacher for A-levels (as opposed to O-levels). The headmaster (principal), Mr (Mr.) Hussein, told me many of the students were very sharp (smart) and often appeared smart (sharp) in their new uniforms.

...Anyway, please contribute more fascinating incidences, anecdotes, or mysteries that you have had with our tongues. Have fun....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,664 • Replies: 55
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:08 am
It's not only the English language that has grammatical rules and expressions that varies. If you travel in the US between the south and Boston, you'll understand exactly what I mean. Many countries around the world has many different dialects and expressions not common in the whole country. Even China has Cantonese and Mandarin and within those major dialects, there are differences by regions. The language of many countries can vary a great deal between urban and rural areas.

Language is an interesting topic. When I travel to different countries, I try to learn the basics such as good morning, how much, thank you, and where's the toilet. Wink
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:44 am
Off the top of my head.......

Bill
Crisps
Chips
and Purse....I will think of more later, after a coffee.

Of course, sometimes a totally different word is used.....

e.g. Pavement = Sidewalk

I'll jot them down as I think of them and get back to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:46 am
Oh, in the UK we ask "where's the WC?"
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:29 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Oh, in the UK we ask "where's the WC?"

"Loo" is the usual term, C.I.

WC would still be recognised by us oldies, but it sort of went out of the common language about twenty years ago, I would imagine. If you asked a teenager what a WC was, they would probably think it was a rap singer.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:15 am
British VS American English?

Does this mean we have to attack chinese? Laughing Get it, British VS American, Im American so I attack......the wrong........nevermind. Confused
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:45 am
I just read the title post. I'm was born and raised in Southern California I don't even know if what I speak is English.

I'll make this thread a regular stop.

What is a;

bill=
crisp=
chips=
purse=
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:58 am
bill= A currency note in the USA, an invoice for services in the UK.
(you probably also use "bill" for invoice, but we never use "bill" for currency notes. It is a five dollar note, over here)
crisp= A crisp in the UK, is what you would call a chip.
chips= A chip in the UK, is what you would call a french fry.
purse= A purse in the USA, is called a handbag in the UK
Purse= A purse in the UK, is called a "coin purse"or wallet in the USA, I believe.

So, if you went into a food shop in the UK and asked for some chips, you would either walk out with an open bag full of steaming french fries, covered in salt and malt vinegar.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:11 am
A bill is also an invoice for services in the states. It has two meanings.

A coin purse in the States is just like a mini purse but they are absolete. A wallet is pretty much a folded peice of leather stiched together to hold 'bills' and credit cards and I.D. for men.

you don't have the same thing?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:34 am
Amigo wrote:
A coin purse in the States is just like a mini purse but they are absolete. A wallet is pretty much a folded peice of leather stiched together to hold 'bills' and credit cards and I.D. for men..

Amigo wrote:
I'm was born and raised in Southern California I don't even know if what I speak is English.

I was taken aback by your comment and I'm asking myself the very same question about you... :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:08 am
Amigo wrote:
A bill is also an invoice for services in the states. It has two meanings.

A coin purse in the States is just like a mini purse but they are absolete. A wallet is pretty much a folded peice of leather stiched together to hold 'bills' and credit cards and I.D. for men.

you don't have the same thing?

Yep, a wallet is just as you described, but is called a wallet, and never a purse.

A purse to us, is a coin purse to you.

A purse to you, is a handbag to us.

I can see this thread has the potential to get very confusing......
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:18 am
Why don't you just come out and say Ellpuss. The britts way of saying it makes more sence.

British Vs American English IT'S ON!

( Now if I only knew English)

Next thing you know you'll be asking us why we call a game where you can't kick the ball "football" and why we call a game you can't sock the ball "soccer"

P.S. To hell with the Metric system!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:21 am
Or the "World Series", when nobody else in the world plays it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:43 am
America must go through hell in the pubs.

We just assume we would win so we call it the world series. Laughing

"The world series" That must sound arrogant as hell.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:54 am
Even in American English, there are many differences in various parts of the country.

Soda, pop- a carbonated beverage, like Coca Cola

bag, sack- A paper recepticle

hoagie, grinder, hero sandwich, submarine sandwich, or "sub"- A sandwich made up of meats, cheeses and condiments, set in between a long roll that is split lengthwise.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:01 am
True that, true that.

That's So. Cal talk for "I agree"
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:11 am
How about boot and bonnet for trunk and hood?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:11 am
Actually, the Canadian teams have an opportunity to play in the World Series--although the players might be from any number of nations. There are a great many players from Central America and the Carribean islands. There's even a few native-born Japanese players now. Red Schoendinst--who was long a successful team manager--has the distinction of ending an inning by hitting into the only all-Cuban infield in the history of the Majors. That was the Washington Senators, and that was before Castro.

We sure as Hell don't want the Cubans or the Japanese playin' . . . they might win.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:23 am
Intrepid wrote:
How about boot and bonnet for trunk and hood?
Is this in Britain or canada?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:25 am
Setanta wrote:
Actually, the Canadian teams have an opportunity to play in the World Series--although the players might be from any number of nations. There are a great many players from Central America and the Carribean islands. There's even a few native-born Japanese players now. Red Schoendinst--who was long a successful team manager--has the distinction of ending an inning by hitting into the only all-Cuban infield in the history of the Majors. That was the Washington Senators, and that was before Castro.

We sure as Hell don't want the Cubans or the Japanese playin' . . . they might win.
Do you mean to tell me if we lat the World into the world series we might loss?
0 Replies