Stop the Invasion - National Protest Day

ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
cjhsa wrote:
How does opposing illegal immigration make one a racist? Do tell?

Of course it doesn't. But being a racist makes one oppose "illegal" immigration.

Rosa Parks was an illegal bus rider (that is she broke the law sitting on the bus).

Of course it was possible to oppose her illegal act without being racist. Martin Luther King started his movement with a protest against those who wanted to enforce the law.

... and this is why many people opposed the civil rights movement can claim they weren't racist.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
According to most Native Americans, most of us folks are illegals.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:57 pm
husker wrote:

Exactly
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:11 am
There's a huge difference between the law and somone's opinion. Native americans had no concept of land as property, so that argument is completely moot.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:13 am
ebrown_p wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
How does opposing illegal immigration make one a racist? Do tell?

Of course it doesn't. But being a racist makes one oppose "illegal" immigration.

Rosa Parks was an illegal bus rider (that is she broke the law sitting on the bus).

Of course it was possible to oppose her illegal act without being racist. Martin Luther King started his movement with a protest against those who wanted to enforce the law.

... and this is why many people opposed the civil rights movement can claim they weren't racist.

Rosa is a hero of mine. She had balls. I still say she's rolling in her grave though over that "funeral" they held in her honor.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:16 am
Just for the record, anyone who plays the race card in the argument against illegal aliens should themselves be sent across the border. Good luck on your return trip.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:02 am
Are you offering to buy me plane tickets CJ?!

I would really like to go to Monterrey.

Will you be sending tickets for my wife... she acknowledges the role of racism in the Anti-Immigrant world view as well.

Muchos Gracias!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
husker wrote:

Nonsense--that's a claim of tribal priority, simply that they got here first. It is pretty pathetic and hypocritical that Amerindian historical revisionists contend that treaties were invalid because the Amerindians had no sense of private real estate, and then claim that they had the land "stolen" from them. As is always the case with history, the situation is a hell of a lot more complex than that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
ebrown, you may not understand it, but you've lost your argument by claiming racism.

Set, you of course are right that the situation with native americans is more complex than has been discussed here. The fact they have far more rights under the law than I do, and the ability to ignore the law, is one of those complexities.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:23 am
Re: Stop the Invasion - National Protest Day
cjhsa wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/Gwen1/StopTheInvasion-646x412.jpg

Looks like a razzia to me ... I mean, the 'image language' of this poster reminds me more of a pogrom than anything else ... kinda eerie.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
For those who oppose the "invasion," here's the person that the Bush administration has nominated for your leader: Julie Myers.

"You're doing a heckuva job, Julie!"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:20 am
I don't see the Bush administration as giving a damn. Never heard of her.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:45 pm
Why haven't you show as much concern for the people of Iraq, CJ? Upon first seeing the title and the poster, it momentarily flashed thru my mind that you had somehow come to your senses.

There's a mighty big difference between people seeking a better life for themselves and not killing those around them and a country seeking to greedily position itself in oil by shocking and aweing the very souls they posture that they're trying to save.

Stop the Invasion indeed!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
JTT wrote:
Why haven't you show as much concern for the people of Iraq, CJ? Upon first seeing the title and the poster, it momentarily flashed thru my mind that you had somehow come to your senses.

There's a mighty big difference between people seeking a better life for themselves and not killing those around them and a country seeking to greedily position itself in oil by shocking and aweing the very souls they posture that they're trying to save.

Stop the Invasion indeed!

Falling for the propaganda I see.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:25 pm
I do feel for the real people of Iraq. The poor, timid souls afraid of their own shadows, not because of a shock and awe campaign, but from years of abuse and torture and the hands of their own leaders, tribal, national, or otherwise.

I have no sympathy for terrorists or those who wish to undermine democracy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:32 pm
Let's see if I follow cjhsa's logic:

Europeans couldn't have stolen Native Americans' land because the latter had no notion of property ownership. Even if this were true, what does it imply ethically?

It's OK to have sex with children because they have no notion of the age of consent?

[Full disclosure: I'm not Native American. I just hate smugness...]
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:42 pm
McGentrix wrote:

What a laugh, McG, coming from the likes of you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:46 pm
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

What a laugh, McG, coming from the likes of you.

I am glad I can lighten your mood. Doesn't change the facts though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:15 pm
D'artagnan wrote:

Europeans couldn't have stolen Native Americans' land because the latter had no notion of property ownership. Even if this were true, what does it imply ethically?

It's OK to have sex with children because they have no notion of the age of consent?

Only a true liberal could come up with that implication! Geesh.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

Only a true liberal could come up with that implication! Geesh.

Mebbe so. Why don't you explain your logic, then?
0 Replies