Has anyone noticed...

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:11 pm
To get 'em. (Puts 'em at the top, whereas the active threads stay there of their own accord...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
Deprovera was the one I was thinking of -- first result on Google!

http://www.google.com/search?q=deprovera&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

A lot of the period stuff on there too, might be the motherlode. (Something like 65,000 views...)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
This is interesting.

Can someone educate me please?

I often hear of ABUZZ, and take it that is was pre-A2K.

What was its history, when/why did it end?

Also, since y'all have been here quite a bit longer than me, can you tell me if the posting going on right now is the normal type/volume.

I was thinking it slowed down for the holidays, but, I don't know. Somehow lately, it does seem "different".

dlowan you're right, a lot of hard core christian stuff. I try to avoid it, but, well, sometimes I get sucked it. it just seems to go round and round in circles

Anyway, I really love A2K. What can individuals, like me, do to make it a better place?

Oh please don't tell me to repress my irrepressible irreverance!

see ya tomorra!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:52 pm
Abuzz was the discussion forum run by/ connected to the New York Times online for a while. It was heavily promoted in 2000, and attracted a lot of people who had never been involved in forums before (well, not sure how many, but I know dlowan's mentioned it was her first and it was my first and I have the impression it was the first for a lot of other people too). It existed before 2000, forget how long. (It started as a small site called Beehive based in Boston, then was bought by the NYT and grew.)

At first, there was a large and active paid moderating staff -- then the dotcom bubble burst, and the site wasn't making enough money, and after a few failed attempts to monetize they started laying off staff. In about April of 2001 (?) the last of the staff was laid off.

Chaos commenced, as the site continued but without moderation. There were a few volunteers who stuck around for a while, but it was too big of a site and too impossible to get everything, and then it REALLY went apeshit.

A lot of the first people here were people who knew each other from Abuzz; but since then it's grown to include a whole lot of people who were never at Abuzz (such as yourself).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
in the past 2 or so years that i have posted here, I would say that this is a normal post volume chai.

yeah, over the holidays things slowed down to a crawl.

I remember before the holidays, if i would sign on in the morning, there would have been close to 1000 new posts.
holiday time.. maybe 300?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:46 am
Chai Tea wrote:
...Anyway, I really love A2K. What can individuals, like me, do to make it a better place?

Oh please don't tell me to repress my irrepressible irreverance!

see ya tomorra!

Send a note to the Help Desk. I or my crack staff of hamsters (or is that hamsters on crack? I forget) will answer you, prolly by this weekend if the creek don't rise.

And you need not repress your irreverance although I suspect that's a tough sentence to say three times fast. Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
You have hamsters in your crack?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
No, the hamsters smoke crack. Pay attention!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Yes, we have crack-smoking hamsters on staff, which probably explains a lot right about now.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:19 am
How did they get the crack? Same way as the crack-smoking squirrels?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Has Gunga been on this thread, 'cause you've mentioned De-smoker-rats.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
Lol!! I don't even know what the **** they ARE!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:44 pm
jespah wrote:
Yes, we have crack-smoking hamsters on staff, which probably explains a lot right about now.

I take it you have now, as promised, implemented the health scheme they kidnapped Craven to get some months ago?
0 Replies