The race for great sex ends at 50

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:25 pm
Psychology Today Feb 2006-

Sex Shockers

Quote:
We can all recite the mantras of modern sex advice: Tell your partner what you want; focus on how your body feels; relax.
Since it is only natural , goes this idea, great sex is a matter of getting over your hangups, loving your partner and letting go.

Yet something doesnt add up , as the huge market for self help books and advice columnists proves. As a nation , we are not getting any. We carve sexual bliss-but all our relaxing and getting in touch isnt helping most of us. When standard advice doesnt work, you feel like a failure: Too uptight. Not " in your body"
worse, maybe your not in love...

While the 'relax and connect' isnt WRONG , its just a first step.

Many people dont really want great sex.
Good sex experiences can be emotionally overpowering-mindblowing, rather then warm and comforting. Lusty sex requires you to confront all kids of worries-getting too close to your partner that he or she overwhelms you , or being rejected at an intensley vulnerable moment. It may even put you in touch with your own mortality, reminding you that your partner wont always be around. Great sex requires inner reserves to tolerate the angst.

But- it gets better with age.
Even though young people get aroused more quickly, amazing sex is a specialty of people in thier 50's and 60's.
In youth , women struggle to be sexual but not 'cheap' ; men are easily threatened.
Midway through life, you have a stronger sense of self and are less self conscious and insecure.

Why was I born so young.... >sigh<
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,834 • Replies: 28
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:35 pm
A Freudian slip in Psychology Today?

Quote:
sex requires you to confront all kids of worries
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
heehee
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:48 pm
Re: The race for great sex ends at 50
shewolfnm wrote:
Psychology Today Feb 2006-

Sex Shockers

Quote:
We can all recite the mantras of modern sex advice: Tell your partner what you want; focus on how your body feels; relax.
Since it is only natural , goes this idea, great sex is a matter of getting over your hangups, loving your partner and letting go.

Yet something doesnt add up , as the huge market for self help books and advice columnists proves. As a nation , we are not getting any. We carve sexual bliss-but all our relaxing and getting in touch isnt helping most of us. When standard advice doesnt work, you feel like a failure: Too uptight. Not " in your body"
worse, maybe your not in love...While the 'relax and connect' isnt WRONG , its just a first step.

Many people dont really want great sex.
Good sex experiences can be emotionally overpowering-mindblowing, rather then warm and comforting. Lusty sex requires you to confront all kids of worries-getting too close to your partner that he or she overwhelms you , or being rejected at an intensley vulnerable moment. It may even put you in touch with your own mortality, reminding you that your partner wont always be around. Great sex requires inner reserves to tolerate the angst.

But- it gets better with age.at
Even though young people get aroused more quickly, amazing sex is a specialty of people in thier 50's and 60's.
In youth , women struggle to be sexual but not 'cheap' ; men are easily threatened.
Midway through life, you have a stronger sense of self and are less self conscious and insecure.

Why was I born so young.... >sigh<

Boomerang, not to worry about that "kid" / "kind" error, this text is riddled with errors.....

Obviously written by an underage semi-literate pimply-faced creepo ---- and I skipped correcting mere punctuation, hyphens and the like --- but if that infantile text really originates with the posted alleged source.....THEN... the source got problems......... BIG TIME....and not to do with sex!!!! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
It's gettin' better as far as I am concerned!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:00 pm
Why it's enough to make you forget your punctuation!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
Harrumph! 17 more days to go!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
I specially think it gets better for women....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:18 pm
Oh well, I thought it was a riot..

Only six more days LE?

lemme give ya my number.. hehe
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Oh well, I thought it was a riot..

Only six more days LE?

lemme give ya my number.. hehe

Six?......Gawd....she's making me older than I am. Where's me walking frame?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
dlowan wrote:
I specially think it gets better for women....

I see we have a rampant rabbit on our hands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
SOMEBODY'S gonna need a birthday thread soon!

21st, right?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
shewolf - where'd you find this article online? I can find other stuff, but not this article. Not that I'm interested, of course :wink:

~~~~~~

What I could find

Lust For The Long Haul

Quote:
Summary: The road to long-term passion starts with a surprise: intimacy requires soul-searching, not romancing. Love is an existential challenge, and the reward is a sex life that grows richer (and raunchier) with time.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:36 pm
dlowan wrote:
SOMEBODY'S gonna need a birthday thread soon!

21st, right?

Well, it's still the 3rd here Deb, so I make it the 20th.

Actually, I am quite looking forward to it, as all my old mates (who are also going through the half century barrier) are meeting me in our old local pub, and I am being driven home, so I doubt if I will remember much about it. I will make every effort to do some drunken posting when I get home.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:37 pm
LOL -- maybe the "Psychology Today" rag isn't to blame for this sophomoric text after all.

Where it originated is one of those mysteries best left unsolved!!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
shewolf - where'd you find this article online? I can find other stuff, but not this article. Not that I'm interested, of course :wink:

~~~~~~

its in the article Lust for the Long haul..
it is one of the outlines "bonus' " to the add. I found it first in the print magazine.. ( oh yeah.. i get it.. Embarrassed ) HA!
Its page 42 if you have the magazine, and just pieces of text from the main article, if you dont .

The article itself is interesting.
The part I found funny was the referrance to -men being intimidated-, and women - not wanting to be cheap-.. Confused
I guess, in a general setting, those 2 titles could apply... but.. err.. not for most people I know.

The pieces of highlighted text also come to a comical conclusion that literally makes you think that good sex ends at 50.
The title of this thread doesnt reflect the REAL title.. it was just what i got from that piece when I read it.

strange, good article, but.. funny..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
I always thought people knew that sex gets better.

But no one under 30 really believes it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
Ehbeth,
I'm starting to believe it. Razz

I am completely thrilled about it. Onward - to years and years of wonderful sex!

Happy Bday Lordy. I probably won't get around to saying it at the proper time, so there goes!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:33 pm
Of course we get better at sex the longer we do it.

This is NEWS?

Why didn't somebody just ASK me?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:35 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Actually, I am quite looking forward to it, as all my old mates (who are also going through the half century barrier)

So, you're going to be 50 this year Spanky?
0 Replies