Quantifying terror, how many will die stateside in a year?

padmasambava

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
Why is this lame thread still a "featured poll" here?

The poll is closed. Why isn't this question way down at the bottom?

Could it be this site is managed by a neo con?
Let's see this thread move downward, or we must conclude that this site is being mis or dis managed.

Panzade and Jugbo have left intelligent responses since I was last here. "John Kerry" should have been pulled from this site weeks ago if it lived up to its guidelines.

It doesn't.
0 Replies

BCP1

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
How many people would have voted that there would be 1000s die from terrorist attacts prior to 9/11?

Good thing that Bush didnt go in and do what he is doing now before all those people died in the world trade center.
0 Replies

jugbo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
BCP1 wrote:

Good thing that Bush didnt go in and do what he is doing now before all those people died in the world trade center.

Actually, I have the sickening feeling he had the Iraq Project planned before 9/11. No facts to support it ... just a gut feeling.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Shocked Question
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 04:08 am
jugbo wrote:
BCP1 wrote:

Actually, I have the sickening feeling he had the Iraq Project planned before 9/11. No facts to support it ... just a gut feeling.

the project for the new american century.

it's not just a sickening feeling...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 04:19 am
BCP1 wrote:
How many people would have voted that there would be 1000s die from terrorist attacts prior to 9/11?

hmmm. yeah. since everybody from clinton to clark to massoud and even his own daily briefing clued him that something was up, why didn't he get on the ball???
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Why is this dull thread still at the top of the list?

Hoping a fixed election all you Bush boosters?

How about a fixed insurrection? How would you enjoy that?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Why is this dull thread still at the top of the list?

Hoping for a fixed election all you Bush boosters?

How about a fixed insurrection? How would you enjoy that?
0 Replies

jdr56789

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
Terrorism
It all depends on how you define terrorism. According to the CDC, 35 Million Americans have died since 1973, 4000 per day since the mid-80's at the hands of pro-abortionists. 35,000,000 in 31 years. 1.3 million will die in 2004. The number is mind boggling. I had no idea there were that many abortions in the US. Another interesting fact is that between 8 and 9 out of 10 women seen leaving one abortion clinic in the city where I live are CRYING as they walk away. Those women are crying because they really know that they just took a human life. They are not crying over a mass of cells, they are crying for their babies.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
welcome to a2k jdr. At least we don't have to wonder what your position is.
And your equating abortions with domestic terrorism is a bit of a stretch.IMO
0 Replies

BCP1

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:46 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
BCP1 wrote:

hmmm. yeah. since everybody from clinton to clark to massoud and even his own daily briefing clued him that something was up, why didn't he get on the ball???

I can just imagine the liberals cry of foul play if Bush would have gone after Osama before 9/11. Would have been much worse than his going after Sadam, for the very same reasons.
0 Replies

jugbo

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
jdr, could you go through the logic process and explain to me how abortion is terrorism please. I know what abortion is, and I know what terrorism is, but I fail to make the connection.

I'm very interested in your argument.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:30 am
Something reminded me of this thread, causing me to re-browse it. Having done that, I can't resist the temptation to post a few remarks.

1) The correct answer to Craven's question was "zero". Nobody died of a terrorist attack in the continental US between the spring of 2003 and the spring of 2004.

2) While the median voter in this poll gave the correct answer ("0-10"), the average vote estimated the death toll at 373 victims, which turns out to be 373 too many.

3) Clary had commented in autumn 2004 that there might be an attack in London, and that her son was very nonchalant about the risk, given how many Londoners there were to attack. Indeed there was such an attack in July 2005, killing 56 people. And Clary's son was confirmed in his nonchalance: The risk of the average Londoner of being killed in that attack was about 1:142,000. And I trust he was not among them.

4) What reminded me of this thread is that I'm currently re-reading Allan Paulos' wonderful book Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its consequences (1988). Here is a paragraph from the introduction to this book, trying to convince the readers that innumeracy is a problem worth their attention:

Allan Paulos wrote:
If you don't have some feeling for probabilities, automobile accidents might seem like a relatively minor problem of local travel, whereas being killed by terrorists might seem to be a major risk when going overseas. As often observed, however, the 45,000 people killed annually on American roads are approximately equal in number to all American dead in the Vietnam War. On the other hand, the seventeen Americans killed by terrorists in 1985 were among the 28 million of us who traveled abroad that year -- that's one chance in 1.6 million of becoming a victim. Compare that with these annual rates in the United States: "one chance in 68,000 of choking to death, one chance in 75,000 of dying in a bicycle crash, one chance in 20,000 of drowning, one chance in 5,000 of dying in a car crash."

The point Paulos makes here is 17 years old, but it has aged well: Even after 9/11, Madrid, and London, terrorism remains petty cash in the currency of deadly risks. There is no reason at all to sacrifice our civil rights to the prevention of that risk. And don't get me started about sacrificing them to the unverifiable promise of preventing that risk There is no reason at all to do any of that, except electorates with large majorities of innumerate people, and governments who take advantage of their innumeracy.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:54 am
Terrorism represents an attack on the nation and its way of life.It expresses an intention which would aim,given capacity,to destroy the nation and its way of life and replace it with something else.

The number of deaths are neither here nor there.There's plenty more where they came from.

Once such an intention has been expressed it is necessary for anybody responsible to do something about it or risk losing the confidence of the population.Politicians are not in the business of doing any such thing.

It is odd how some posters bemoan the illiteracy and innumeracy of the population and thus imply that they themselves are made of higher grade material.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:40 am
spendius wrote:
It is odd how some posters bemoan the illiteracy and innumeracy of the population and thus imply that they themselves are made of higher grade material.

Well, so I'm an elitist pig. What else is new?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
What,with a woman boss?
0 Replies