Does Paradise Have a Price?

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
Quote:
REAL ESTATE

A million dollars per for mobile homes?
A secret suitor was offering to buy the entire trailer-park municipality of Briny Breezes in Palm Beach County for $500 million -- more than $1 million per mobile home.

By PETER WHORISKEY
Washington Post Service

BRINY BREEZES - The news traveled fast, as it usually does in this tiny trailer-park town.

A secret suitor was offering to buy the entire municipality for $500 million -- more than $1 million per mobile home. Over shuffleboard courts, pinochle tables and whittling benches, word of the fabulous price soon spread.

' `A million is a million' and 'Wow, a million dollars!' '' said Bob Kraft, 78, a retired high school English teacher from Detroit, recalling initial reactions to the proposal. ``That looks good to a lot of people.''

If the gargantuan sale goes through, the buyer is expected to wipe this unpretentious beach enclave off the map, obliterating one of the most conspicuous vestiges of the long-ago era when a Florida seaside paradise could be had cheap.

Hundreds or thousands of luxury condos would probably rise in its place, a prospect that has evoked an unexpected surge of nostalgia for this cluster of boxy aluminum homes that are just somewhat wider than rail cars. They sit just feet from one another.

''We used to be an embarrassment,'' said Tom Byrne, 67, a retired insurance sales manager from Long Island, who had just been boasting to neighbors of reeling in a bluefish. ``Now it turns out we're quaint.''

Trailers of one kind or another have been on the property since the 1930s, when a farmer allowed passing ''tin-can tourists'' to park on his beachfront acreage. But in recent decades, many Florida beaches have proved far too pricey for trailer parks, and some communities have forbidden them in fits of snob zoning.

''Briny,'' as it is known locally, was becoming increasingly noticeable as a throwback, particularly as the coast has become lined with ostentatious mansions and million-dollar condos. But with the specter of so much more development in this area north of Boca Raton -- even though it would be far more grandiose than a trailer park -- has come a sense that a way of Florida life is disappearing.

''It'd be like selling my hometown,'' said Mayor Jack Lee, 56, who grew up there. He opposes the sale. ``We're already living a millionaire's lifestyle -- even without the millions.''

''I don't want to live in a condo,'' said Polly Brady, a retired teacher from Massachusetts.

She and her husband, Tim, a retired vice principal, bought one of the most valuable trailers in town -- on a lot overlooking the beach -- for $150,000, three years ago.

''My kids thought I was crazy,'' Tim Brady said. ``People have preconceptions about trailer parks. But we love it.''

The identity of the bidder has not been disclosed by the residents who serve on the park's board.

Ken Doyle, president of the corporation that owns the town's 43 acres, would say only that ``we're quite sure it's a solid offer.''

The owners of the mobile homes all are shareholders in the corporation. In early December, it was announced that nearly three-quarters of the residents in this town of 488 homes had voted to appropriate $30,000 to pay lawyers to pursue the offer.

Earlier this year, 13 homes were for sale in Briny Breezes; since news of the proposal in October, there are none, Brady said.

The town has 1,100 feet of frontage on the Intracoastal Waterway and about 600 feet on the Atlantic Ocean, and it has long been attractive to developers. The bid is more than 10 times what Briny Breezes is assessed for by Palm Beach County. Many residents are loath to come out and say they want to sell.

''This is a wonderful place,'' said Bill Tolford, 81, a retired optometrist from Maine, over a Manhattan outside his beachfront home one night recently. He calculates his home would fetch $1.46 million in the deal.

``It's an overly fair price. I know how hard it is to accumulate a million dollars. When you can get it, take it.''

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,835 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:11 pm
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1899/clipboard14os.jpg

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/12/26/PH2005122600664.jpg
Keith Hatfield, a part-time resident of Briny Breezes, brings home a bunch of milk jugs he is making into luminarias to line his street for Christmas.

Photo Credit: By Nicholas R. Von Staden -- South Florida Sun-sentinel
Related Article: Fla. Trailer Town May Agree to Disappear, page A05
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
Oh gosh, I used to know someone who lived in Briney Breezes.

It really is strange.
It's tucked in between A1A and the Atlantic, I swear the width of the place is just a few dozen yards.

This guy that buys it it gonna make a killing.

In a way it's a shame though, the end of a way of life.
0 Replies

sxygrl52922

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:25 pm
My piece of paradise
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/kass_kahnelover/random/Michelle/florida-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/kass_kahnelover/random/Michelle/florida.jpg
So as you can see these are just two absolutely gorgeous pictures from this little paradise that i am actually going to in 4 days. Yes i am talking about Briney Breezes, and it is absolutely amazing there. I have been going there every year to visit my grandparents ever since i can remember. I got to meet one of my best friends down there whom i am still in contact with. I just cant believe that this place is going to be gone in a few years. Almost every school vacation i would come down here and just get to relax....even though teachers would give me homework. Well you might be wondering how old i am....i am only 17 but i am absolutely in love with this little pice of heaven and if you haven't seen it yet you should really see it soon. I would love to say oh my gosh a million dollars we're rich but i don't think there is any amount of money that could buy this place.
~michelle~
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:52 pm
where is Briney Breezes? florida?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:07 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
where is Briney Breezes? florida?

Since you can't scroll upwards, here's the map from above again

Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1899/clipboard14os.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:17 pm
Walter, my scroll bar was temporarily frozen Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
That's what I thought and why I reposted that pic again. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
It's happening all over the place here, Walter. We have one high rise, and it mars the quaintness. A1A is partially in danger of returning to the ocean as it is.
0 Replies