Canadian Election: Why should I care?!!

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
nimh wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
nimh wrote:
None of ya is gonna fess up what ya voted, are ya ... wheres the fun in that for those of us looking in from the outside ...

I voted not what I wanted to vote, but what I felt would be a more strategic vote for me in order not to have to live with me being partly responsible for an irresponsible government. Probably not the answer you wanted. Confused

So - you voted Liberal. :wink:

See my next post Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Aww, you went ahead and explained more! If I'd read all that I wouldnt even had bothered posting my guess anymore ... Razz
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:59 pm
i didn't vote ... and i didn't vote for ... either.
couldn't vote for ... and had "to teach ... a lesson " (they better listen up or else ! i can get awfully ornery !). hbg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:04 pm
So Hamburger voted for the NDP.

Am I good at this or what? ;-)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:18 pm
nimh : we'll elect you as an "honourary canadian ", whether you like it or not, with all the duties and privileges that entails !
perhaps you'd like a share in our tarsands ?

(yesterday, the alberta tarsands were featured on CBS"60 minutes". a/t american oil gurus alberta is no the number 2 oil supplier to the united states and they expect alberta to move into the number 1 position within the next 5-10 years.
they also showed a chinese delegation showing great interest in the tarsands - i understand they already have an interest in one of the companies - as do the japanese.
the american guru said, ' i thought the chinese weren't serious. we better watch what they are doing next; we'll have to secure supplies for the united states. they haven't hat a revolution or civil war in alberta in over a 100 years - should be a safe investment'.)
hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
Who would have believed that the Conservatives would pick up in Quebec and sweep the West. Thanks to the rest of the country, they will be a minority.

It seems that the NDP picked up the seat in my riding that has been Liberal forever.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Who would have believed that the Conservatives would pick up in Quebec and sweep the West. Thanks to the rest of the country, they will be a minority.

It seems that the NDP picked up the seat in my riding that has been Liberal forever.

Gosh, are conservative Canadians somehow prohibited from accessing A2K?

Who would have believed that the Conservatives would sweep the West?

You're kidding right?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:01 pm
hamburger wrote:
nimh : we'll elect you as an "honourary canadian ", whether you like it or not, with all the duties and privileges that entails !
perhaps you'd like a share in our tarsands ?

(yesterday, the alberta tarsands were featured on CBS"60 minutes". a/t american oil gurus alberta is no the number 2 oil supplier to the united states and they expect alberta to move into the number 1 position within the next 5-10 years.
they also showed a chinese delegation showing great interest in the tarsands - i understand they already have an interest in one of the companies - as do the japanese.
the american guru said, ' i thought the chinese weren't serious. we better watch what they are doing next; we'll have to secure supplies for the united states. they haven't hat a revolution or civil war in alberta in over a 100 years - should be a safe investment'.)
hbg

I saw that! Those 3-story trucks are amazing! Each carries a $10K payload (400 tons of oilsand I think they said) and the driver has to climb 14 steps just to reach the cab. Fascinating...as was the method they showed of extracting the oil.

T. Boone Pickens made the comment about the Chinese interest LOL. I liked the coverage they gave of how they restore the forests after the excavation process.

Imagine! Two trillion (yes...trillion with a T) barrels of oil up there.

<We'll be invading any day now> Very Happy
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:52 am
I wonder what would happen with a Minority Conservative Government. Will it be equally as ineffective as the Minority Liberal Government, which from what I've heard, wasn't really very liberal to begin with?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:03 am
It appears the people of Canada are taking a "test drive" by narrowly electing a Conservative to lead. Martin was in office for what - a couple of years? Will be interesting to see if Harper does any better...timewise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Almost exactly two years from winning leadership of the party to the call of yesterday's election.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1297441#1297441
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

You're kidding right?

Sorry, I don't follow what you are getting at.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I wonder what would happen with a Minority Conservative Government. Will it be equally as ineffective as the Minority Liberal Government, which from what I've heard, wasn't really very liberal to begin with?

Canadian Liberals are just to the right of center--Canada has always had a very plutocratic government, and it was no different with the Liberals. The Tories will need to form an alliance with either the Parti Québecois (also known as the Bloc Québecois, or the PQ or the BQj--but usually just as "the Bloc") or with the New Democrats. The Bloc seems to lie between the Liberals and the Tories, which means right of center, although the Québecois always have an emphasis on social services. The Bloc also respresents separatists, though, and that makes English-speaking Canajuns, especially in Ontario, suspicious. In 1995, there was a vote in Québec on separation, which was very close. The Federal government was then Liberal, and Chrétien's government used their nearly limitless power to pour millions into the province to fight separatism. The idea was to put the money into advertising, but the actual result was that the money got handed around to political cronies of Liberals in the province, and it became known as the sponsorship scandal, which is what brought down Paul Martin's Liberal government, through a no-confidence vote which lead to this election.

So you have a Tory ministry lead by Steven Harper, who is unpopular, who could make an alliance with the New Democratic Party (NDP) who increased their representation from 19 seats to 29; or with the Bloc, which has 51 seats (a loss of four seats) and which is lead by Gilles Duceppe, a very popular politician, even outside the province among English-speakers. A coalition with the NDP would be distasteful to Tories, because the NDP is a true left-wing party, and they would oppose many measures popular with Tories, and propose measures unpopular with Tories. A coalition with the Bloc puts a popular man (Duceppe) in the spotlight, which helps to balance the new PM's personal unpopularity, but it also might alienate true conservatives in English-speaking Canada (the kind who vote Tory even when they don't have a hope in Hell of forming a government).

Although as recently as a few weeks ago, i'd not have thought it, it seems to me more and more likely that Harper will form a coalition with the Bloc--primarily because Duceppe increased his popularity during the election campaign. Any way you look at it, this will be a shakey government. Paul Martin is stepping down from the leadership of the Liberals, so they need to find someone who can lead them effectively, and someone not tainted by the sponsorship scandal. If they do that, and they vigorously challenge the Tories, and political disaster which robs the Tories of Bloc support would spell the end of the government. Tory governments have tended to be short lived since the days of John MacDonald (end of the 19th century) except for the late 20s-early 30s and the 80s. Otherwise, Tory governments are usually short-lived, because they are almost always a minority, coalition government. In 1988, the Tories made an alliance with the Bloc, and the Tories hung on (sometimes just barely) for five years--so it could work.

The big gainers were the NDP, although it's a mixed blessing. They are unlikely to be invited into Harper's government. In 1988, Ed Broadbent lead 44 New Democrats to Ottawa, their biggest electoral success ever--and Mulrooney's Tories allied with the Bloc. It will be interesting to see how all of this falls out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
Intrepid wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

You're kidding right?

Sorry, I don't follow what you are getting at.

You need to understand that Finn sees the world as black and white, left and right, us and them. I doubt that he knows squat about Canadian politics or history, because he'd otherwise know that the west is the homeland of left-wing politics in Canada, and that apart from Diefenbaker, they have rarely produced notable Tories.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:54 am
Thanks for the the explanation to my question to Finn, Setanta. I thought as much, but it sounds better coming from you. :-) Oh, and I mean absolutely no offence with that.

My guess long before the election was that we would have a Conservative minority and they they would align with the Bloc. Actually, I hope this is not the case because of separtism. Then again, Mr. Harper will probably sell us out to Mr. Bush anyhow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:23 am
and this is where you can see <imnsho> the difference between an American and Canajun view of the political spectrum

Setanta wrote:
Canadian Liberals are just to the right of center--

<snip>

A coalition with the NDP would be distasteful to Tories, because the NDP is a true left-wing party, and they would oppose many measures popular with Tories, and propose measures unpopular with Tories.

From my angle, the Liberals are one of two big-business-connected Right wing parties in Canada. The NDP barely makes it as a standard-bearer for the Left - but they do make it over the dividing line between left and right <on a global political spectrum>.

Even the leader of the Green party is kinda right of centre.

Quote:
He began his schooling in French, attending Lakefield College (the very school Prince Andrew attended on his Canadian exchange) and Queen's University, where he studied English and political science.

Upon graduating, Jim set out to travel around the world. He sailed from England to Australia on a fleet of tall ships re-enacting the first voyage of British convicts to Australia.

Once back in Canada, Jim started working for the Financial Post, where he co-authored The 100 Best Companies to work for in Canada (a national best seller). His second book, The Learning Paradox, was nominated for the National Business Book Award in Canada, and is ranked as one of the top ten business books in all of North America. Following the recent success of Blindsided, Jim is writing a new book aptly named Going Green.

gack! he went to private school, lally-gagged, and then went to work for the Financial Post Shocked

http://www.greenparty.ca/jimharris.html~&MMN_position=122:13.html

The party itself seems more libertarian than anything <which I why I like it, as much as I like any group of politicians>.

~~~~~~~~

Now - as soon as someone proposes getting rid of the Senate, I'll probably have found someone to support.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Thanks for the the explanation to my question to Finn, Setanta. I thought as much, but it sounds better coming from you. :-) Oh, and I mean absolutely no offence with that.

My guess long before the election was that we would have a Conservative minority and they they would align with the Bloc. Actually, I hope this is not the case because of separtism. Then again, Mr. Harper will probably sell us out to Mr. Bush anyhow.

I always got the impression you supported the Tories. Oh well...

ehBeth wrote:
Now - as soon as someone proposes getting rid of the Senate, I'll probably have found someone to support.

Why?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I always got the impression you supported the Tories. Oh well...

At one time, I did
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:05 pm
when i got up this morning, i looked to the east ...
the sun still went up in the east and is now beginning to set in the west. so not everything is screwed up !

i think the election showed that, even though canada has the despised "first-past-the-post" election system (which, it is said, helps give a clear majority the rule) , there is enough of a split in the voters resulting in - what i would call - a three-way split : 1/3 conservative, 1/3 liberal. 1/3 the rest (ndp and the "bloc") and forcing the winner to be mindful of the competion ... or they'll get turfed. so the conservatives - and the liberals before them - can't get too cocky. i like it that way !

i'd compare the canadian electorate to a driver who his barrelling down the centre of the road, now swerving to the left, now swerving to the right and keeping one foot firmly on the accelarator ... and the other foot firmly on the brake pedal !
perhaps blaring the horn on occasion and even flashing the high-beam at other drivers !

get outta the way, here comes canada ... and don't forget : we've got the tarsands ! hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
It will be interesting to see what happens in Toronto since there is not a wisp of blue to be seen there.
0 Replies