Canadian Election: Why should I care?!!

flushd

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:40 pm
It's getting time to vote real soon here in Canada. Does anyone care?
I'm a Canadian and I am having a hard time caring! Yes, I will vote. Yes, I think it is important to take part. But the honest truth is - - I have joined the ranks of canucks who sit back chewing donuts, gabbering about the silly things, and engaging in quips between conversations about the weather.
I don't have a firm grasp of the real issues, and I have not paid enough attention to the platforms.
I'll be another slug checking off a box by pure caprice and emotion.

So.

Come one, come all....
Present your case, share your information, and talk about the issues here.
All views are welcome.
The only thing I ask is you have at least a little iota of interest and information......

Help this Canadian care about Canadian politics! Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,655 • Replies: 103
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:49 pm
You have 27 days to get it figured out. The alternatives are few and we will, once again, get what we deserve. Most likely, we will get exactly what we had before and the only difference is that we will have spent a lot of money to get there.

We have one party that are a bunch of crooks and liars. We have another party that would have us join GW Bush in his crazy war. Another that would destroy big business.

Doesn't give us much room for an intelligent decision.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:14 pm
The saying that the devil you know is preferred over the devil you don't know. With the known devil there are no big surprises in store while with the unknown devil you NEVER know...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:46 pm
Intrepid,
You summed up nicely the general vibes I have been getting from people. Most of us are shrugging our shoulders going "well, it all stinks, so why bother?!"

I admit I'm feeling a lot the same way.

Laughing Yup, the devil ya know or the devil ya don't know!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:02 am
You can see with US politics. GWB being the unknown devil. Big surprises: Iraq invasion, huge deficits, attempts at scrapping Social Security, wire taps, Patriot Act, etc.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:31 am
You know for once, instead of bashing each other, I would like the parties to have a major campaign in telling us exactly what their policies are.
I know they go around saying to people, hey we're going to cut taxes, or hey we're going to step up our fundings, but what I really want to know is how they're going to manage their budgets and why they think their plan is going to work.

As to the scandal that occured not so long ago, I think one may want to look at how to prevent it in the future.

Also, what on Earth is going on in Ottawa? Pointing fingers and indirect insults that is unbelievably palpable is what I saw... It seems that the role of the speaker may have become obsolete.

Actually I'm not a citizen yet, so maybe I shouldn't be saying any of this... Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
Interesting thoughts, flushd.

I've been quite surprised how much people are talking about this upcoming election. People were talking about it at pre-Christmas lunches, at the company Christmas party, at an industry event ... people who usually don't talk about politics at all.

I was surprised how many people I thought were Conservatives said they were going to vote Green.

Green? ok - so they don't like Stephen Harper, don't want to vote Liberal, don't like Jack Layton - and do like Jim Harris. I was, quite honestly, flummoxed. I don't expect the Greens to get anywhere, but at least they don't already have a dirty reputation.

McGentrix started a thread after the government went down. I've been posting poll results from nodice there. The last time I looked, there had barely been a move from the last election results. Guess I'd better look again.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:36 pm
I have no idea what the Green party is like.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:49 pm
I'm A Lumberjack and I'm Okay

Interesting article on the Canadian election.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Well, the one positive thing one can say about that article is that at least the National Review's agenda is not "hidden".

I doubt that kind of partisan fervor would persuade anyone who isn't already a Conservative anyway, though.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:14 pm
Ray wrote:
I have no idea what the Green party is like.

Wikipedia on the Green Party of Canada

They got 4,3% of the vote in 2004.

I found this interesting:

Quote:
The direction of the 2004 platform, while retaining similar ecological themes, shifted in other aspects from a radical-left to a centrist or even right-of-centre stance. An emphasis on a green tax shift which favoured reducing income and corporate taxes while increasing taxes on polluters and energy consumers created questions as to whether the Green Party was still on the left of the political spectrum, or was taking a more eco-capitalist approach.

However, [..] the centrist view was not new and had always been advocated by those in the party who measured their success by forcing other parties to adopt Green Party policies. This is currently occurring as the Liberal Party [..] has adopted much of the Green program, notably, accelerated Capital Cost Allowance deductions restricted to sustainable technology only, and, the adoption of ecological and social indicators and green procurement rules Greens have long advocated.

However, the "Green Party vision" on its website still sounds quite reliably left-wing, despite the intro:

Quote:
As the new kid on the block, we appreciate that many Canadians want to know more about the Green Party of Canada, who we are and what we stand for. It's difficult to stick old-fashioned political labels on us, because we're neither a party of the left nor a party of the right. For us, good ideas are simply good ideas. So, who is the Green Party?

We are socially responsible and inclusive. That means: health, not just health care, lessening financial obstacles for post-secondary students, affordable housing, working with Aboriginal communities to improve well-being and self-governance, properly funding arts and culture, supporting immigrant communities, and more.

We are environmentally sensitive and innovative. That means: promoting energy conservation, and the conservation of wildlife, habitats, and natural ecosystems, shifting to a green economy, building mass transit and transportation systems that make ecological and social sense, reducing greenhouse gases and achieving Kyoto targets and moving beyond. We believe that those who pollute should pay the full cost of remediation and any damages arising from their recklessness. [..]

We are conservationists and trusted guardians of Canada's natural wealth. From depleted fish stocks to contaminated water to clear-cutting old growth forests, poor management of ecosystems has resulted in the loss of species and jobs, as well as the disintegration and displacement of communities built around these ecosystems. [..]

We will reform the tax system [..]. We want to address Canada's fiscal imbalance and we reject red tape simply for the sake of red tape. We believe Canadian sovereignty and the interests of Canadian citizens must always take precedence in trade negotiations.

[..] We are democratically representative. That means: adopting a proportional representative electoral system, renewing our political institutions, restoring people's trust in government, and connecting with community groups and citizen-based movements that are giving us the progressive tools of a more accountable and participatory society.

From the conclusion:

Quote:
this election is about solutions. For Canadian aboriginals, providing economic solutions for the nearly one in two Canadian families who spend more than their pre-tax income, and hope for the nearly 4 million Canadians who don't have enough to eat or worry whether they will.

It's an election about 900 communities in Canada that are losing friends, family and neighbours to urban cities. It's about sustainability - economic and environmental. It's about new Canadians who still find doors slammed shut as they pursue their individual dreams in their new land. It's about a health care system that needs to look a lot less like 'Let's Make a Deal'.

It's an election about Canadian sovereignty - in the Arctic, in culture, in our social values and trade. It's an election about the very essence of Canada.

Canadians don't carry their pride on their sleeves, but in their hearts. [..] And it's time to restore and build upon our identity, our collective responsibilities and what it means to say proudly "I am Canadian".
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:40 pm
Yeah, I still haven't decided. The more I talk about it, learn, and listen: the more I dislike them all.
Ehbeth, there are a lot of people talking about it, but there are also a lot of people who don't bother to vote. It seems the older you get, the more likely you are to vote. Perhaps I should look at some 'statistics' for that. I personally see many young people not bothering to think or vote. Just - whatever.

I have heard some people championing the Green Party. A lot of people considering NDP as well. The rationale I keep hearing is "They haven't had a chance to screw up yet. They may do very well. What's the worse that could happen?"

Laughing And I'm thinking "Uh, ....."

Well, maybe I'm just a hard cookie, but I am a bit scared about this upcoming election. None of them are giving me any hope for what is truly important, and they all represent something I definetly do not want. blehhh. I need to start my own party.

CBC had a special where the parties were presented to 4 undecided voters in a speed-dating format. Haha, that was cool. Anyone else see it?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:45 pm
flushd wrote:
None of them are giving me any hope for what is truly important, and they all represent something I definetly do not want. blehhh.

What is truly important, to you, in a government?

(Sometimes its better to first just go back to basics...)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Well, the one positive thing one can say about that article is that at least the National Review's agenda is not "hidden".

I doubt that kind of partisan fervor would persuade anyone who isn't already a Conservative anyway, though.

I'm sure both the National Review and the author will be extremely pleased to know that you can find one positive thing to say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
Ever-body should vote New Democrat--it's the most effective way to throw a wrench in the works . . .
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
I thought this part was humorous Smile Made me laugh.

Quote:
Their latest television ad warned that the Tories intended to deploy the Canadian armed forces in urban areas, implying that they would be used not to help in Katrina-style emergencies but to impose martial law.

This invited a raucous response from, among others, the Canadian military: "Where would we get the soldiers? Where would we get the guns?" asked one officer, who asked not to be named [by Canada's National Post.]

"Haven't these guys been reading their own policies?" The ad was quickly withdrawn amid Liberal embarrassment. A Liberal flunkey remarked that "some idiot" had approved it. The Liberals' embarrassment deepened when it became known that the "idiot" in question was the prime minister, Paul Martin.

Thanks for sharing it, Finn.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
nimh wrote:

I'm sure both the National Review and the author will be extremely pleased to know that you can find one positive thing to say.

Yeah no they wont be too alarmed ... but if you post an article here then yeah, you're liable to get people saying what they think of it... duh.

Articles like that are a form of masturbation ... an opportunity to go "oh yeah, yeah, exactly, thats it!" at the reflection of your own opinions. Glee for the believers (see JW above).

Of course, perhaps the NRO should ask itself the question how come the "He'll turn our country into Bush-type America" threat proved so effective a campaign strategy last time in the first place. What exactly is it about Bush-era America that the mere hint of a politician turning the country into something similar was enough to scare the voters back into the arms of a burnt-out government?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
An observation is in order here, also: any references to articles in The National Post are immediately suspect.

The National Post is just to the right of Fox "News", and has been peddling right-wing drivel far longer than Fox.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
The Robber Baron Dishonorable Conrad Black once owned The National Post.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
You do not wanna get me started on Mr. Black.

<sneer>
0 Replies