Belly Button piercing...help!

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:25 pm
Hi, soz if this is in the wrong category...wasn't sure what else to put it in...

I'm interested in getting my belly button pierced but I have some questions/worries..

1) I'm 15 almost 16, do you think I'm old enough...

2) I'm a tad worried about the pain, loads of people say it doesn't hurt, then there's a couple that say it does.

3) Is it easily infected?

4)Bearing in mind I'm in England....How old do you have to be to get it done without your parents with u?

5) How much does it cost?

6) I'm worried about my figure, I'm not fat, but I haven't got a proper flat tummy...unless I stand up straight...but I generally slouch and my tummy goes all podgy... :wink: ....can I still pull off having my belly button pierced?

7)Has anyone got any tips on how exercises to do to tone my tummy up, quick?

8) I'm sure there's another one...and I'm sure I'll think of it later!!

I have my ears pierced..only recently though...7 weeks ago, it took me about 8 years to get the courage up to do that!! And it didn't even hurt that much...at all really....+ I was completely calm when I was in there! SHOCKING!! Surprised
Is getting ear lobes pierced anything to compare by?

Thanks guys, even if you can only answer one of my many questions please do!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,366 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
honey rose,

I had my belly button pierced about 9 years ago. I was 40 at the time. For me, I barely felt it. The guy that did it said that the older you are the less it seems to hurt. Don't know if that is the truth or not.

It cost me $45.00 to get it done. It was sore for a few weeks and then ok. But, for some reason, I can't wear a belly button anything anymore. If I put anything in there, it gets immediately infected. So, I can't do it anymore.

I did it on the spur of the moment and didn't do much thinking about it. I am glad to hear that you are thinking.

Personally, it hurt much more getting my ears pierced. Another problem I had was the danged ring would always catch on my jeans and pull! Ouch!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
Would I be better getting one of those curved bar things or a ring?

Also, if I got it pierced then decided I didn't want it, how long would my belly button take to heal?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
honey_rose,

I had the ring in mine. I never tried a curved bar so I can't help you there.

Well, I haven't worn a ring for about six months now. I can still put one in but do have to force it.

I don't know how long it will take to close. But, I would imagine the shorter time you actually have the piercing the shorter the healing time would be. If you decided to take it out while it was still in the initial healing process, I would imagine it would close a lot quicker.

Even if you do decide to take out the ring and let it close, it is hardly noticeable that you even have the piercing at all. At least on me.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
OK thanks v much!

If anyone else would like to post their experience, much appreciated...

How much is $45 in £s?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
it is easily infected.
If you do this a good thing to invest in are little alcohol wipes so you can keep the skin dry and clean. Also some small cotton balls to keep taped to the area to also help keep it dry.

I personally have not had it done , but know many people who have and these were the big tips / tricks they used to keep their belly safe.

Weight loss and weight gain dont effect the piercing.
Meaning, it wont 'stretch the hole' , or cause infection so dont worry about that.

And.. a round soft belly darling, is the sexiest part of a woman.
Wash board bellies .. nah... women are round , we are supposed to be soft in all the right places.
Dont worry about your body ;-) Mother nature made you astounding the way you are.. espically your soft belly. :-)

Glad to see you thinking this through instead of just going out and doing it.
I hope you enjoy it when you do get it!!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
Thankyou Shewolf, your comments made me smile, that's good advice to remember!!

I'd still like to have a flat tummy though, but I suppose that's typical teenager..or woman...soz if that sounds sexist...to look at the worst parts and to exaggerate bits you don't like!!

Is it really easy to catch the piercing on clothes?

I have to wear school uniform, with shirt ALWAYS tucked in, looking smart...!...plus I have quite a small waist and larger hips so my skirt sort of sits right near my belly button (This may not make sense...!) I was thinking maybe I'd be better waiting til next summer hols becoz then I'll start going to college after hols and get to wear my own choice of clothes...
But I wanna get it done while I'm more confident and hyped up about it!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
I had problems with it always catching on on jeans. It was just at the waistline of the jeans I wear and it drove me nuts.

You can always tape down the ring with a bandaid or something if it does get caught on your school uniform.

Shewolfnm always has great advice!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
Mmm, I'm just a bit worried that it won't 'suit' me and it apparently it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to heal if you take it out after it's completely healed.

I do wanna get it done though...eep decisions!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
1) I'm 15 almost 16, do you think I'm old enough... -- Don't know. Here (US), you have to be 18 without a parents concent. If you go to a reputable piercer (and you need to) to have it done.[/color]

2) Iamb a tad worried about the pain, loads of people say it doesn't hurt, then there's a couple that say it does. -- It pinched. Pinch the top part of your belly button skin really hard with your nails for a second. That's pretty much what it feels like. Then it burns a bit afterwards. Not bad.

3) Is it easily infected? - YES. It rubs against your shirt, the top of your pants, the sheets....everything. You need to keep it clean. Wash it 2 -3 times a day with sea salt and Bactine. It will ooze some gross stuff for a while but if it is green, you have an infection and it's best to see the piercer again.

4)Bearing in mind I'm in England....How old do you have to be to get it done without your parents with u? -- Again, it's 18 here. Don't know there.

5) How much does it cost? - I think I paid $40 or $45 for mine about 8 years ago.

6) I'm worried about my figure, I'm not fat, but I haven't got a proper flat tummy...unless I stand up straight...but I generally slouch and my tummy goes all podgy... ....can I still pull off having my belly button pierced? -- Sure. It's all about you anyway. Do you want to show off your piercing? Or is it just for you? If you want to show it off, are you comfortable with your stomach to wear shorter shirts to show it off?

7)Has anyone got any tips on how exercises to do to tone my tummy up, quick? - Nope. There are none. Diet and exercise. Can't focus losing weight in one part of the body. You can do sit ups to tone, but if theres a layer of fat over the muscle, it won't matter.

Is getting ear lobes pierced anything to compare by? - I thought it hurt more to have my ears pierced.

You need to think about this. Yes, it will grow shut but not like your ears. Mainly because when they pierce your navel, they use a hollow needle, which basically punches out a small circle of skin to allow for the ring. You will always have a small scar there. It may not completely grow shut. I was 20 when I got mine.

I was pierced with a bar and was told by the piercer that it was easier to heal with. I had no trouble and still wear bars to this day. They do tend to get hooked on things more easily than a ring because of the top part of the bar. I've caught it quite a few times and it hurts. At least until it heals. It took about 2-3 months to heal completely. I did it in the summer to allow for loose and light clothing. Winter clothes will rub and drag on it. Wait til spring. It will give you time to think about it.

I am considering taking mine out but it looks so weird without it, I can't make myself do it.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:12 pm
No matter how long I live, I will never understand why people want tattoos and piercings. I got all the scars and deformities I could ever use just from thirty years of getting beat up by critters. Self-infliction of such pain makes no sense to me at all!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
what makes no sense to some...is viewed differently by others

pain if painful only lasts a few seconds, keep the piercing clean and you wont have a problem, its simple logic.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 04:51 pm
Totally... can I just add, that there is NO fat...No fat...*Sits and rocks in corner* nooooo fat...nope none....actually I wouldn't have said there is any/much fat on my tum tum, I just don't do enough exercise...so I'm weak and my muscles are completely untoned....
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
I agree with CowDoc, putting pieces of metal through your skin should be for the ears only. Nose, mouth, tongue, belly button, is all gross. Un-attractive to da MAX. N yeah, swop the piercing for the exercise is the way to go.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
How is getting belly button pierced any different to getting ears pierced? Your still sticking a bit of metal into your body!
I was really against any kind of piercing especially earpiercing (Coz thats like the only thing I knew about) when I was little, coz I thought it was wrong making holes in your body on purpose. I now think if it suits you and stuff then its alright to get done. Your just decorating your body!
It's like wearing jewellry but a little more permanent...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:07 pm
The ones that freak me out are the lip rings and studs. Bleck.

But I've got no problem with people deciding to do what they wish with their bodies.

honey_rose_cr, I'd suggest that you at least discuss it with your parents. They might have some additional insights for you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:40 pm
I'm interested to hear if you get it done or not. It can look quite beautiful, and I don't think you need a flat tummy to do it. A nice pouch is pretty IMO.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:44 pm
Drewdad- My dad had his belly button pierced, IMO I don't think it looks good on a man...bit bizaar for a 30 odd year old, only in my opinion though! He just said, 'well as long as you keep it clean'...I think he was talking about belly button piercings.....my mum just said 'Alright, you're almost of an age to make those sort of decisions but it's fine with me.' so....I still want to speak to my dad face to face though...

My friend told me a similar thing last night actually, he said it looks better if there's a bit of skin and stuff for it to hold onto..then he told me I was actually quite hot....right.....got a little bit freaked out at that point...
...but I will let you know if I get it done, I'll prob wait til I'm 16 and until the summer hols, but I'll let u no...!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:46 am
Sounds like an intelligent decision, honey. Good to see you are thinking it through. Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 01:28 am
shewolfnm wrote:
it
And.. a round soft belly darling, is the sexiest part of a woman.
Wash board bellies .. nah... women are round , we are supposed to be soft in all the right places.
Dont worry about your body ;-) Mother nature made you astounding the way you are.. espically your soft belly. :-)
!!

At last. A woman who knows what she's talking about.
0 Replies