Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:30 am
@msolga,
HaHa. Meryl Streep is hilarious! Wonderful! Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:32 am
Crap. Flipped a coin yesterday to decide whether to see "Sherlock Holmes" or "Crazy Heart". Saw "Sherlock" -- pretty good fun. but, this morning I listened to TBone Burnett on Fresh Air/NPR and now, I HAVE to see Crazy Heart.

Joe(Mostly hear it.)Nation
Swimpy

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:28 pm
@Joe Nation,
I heard that interview, too. It sounds really good. Jeff Bridges can sing! Whoodathunk? (I miss him, too.)

I watched "Moon" the other night. It was pretty good even if a little predictable. The director is Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:17 am
Still catching up on films I wanted to see, but missed.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/custom/31/10009931.jpg

This one, Waltz With Bashir, was a particularly intriguing experience. I had never seen a film which dealt with such serious issues in animation form before. A documentary in animation form. The subject was the massacre of civilians in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in Lebanon in 1982. But the film was much more than a record of the event. It dealt with complex moral & ethical questions about the massacre in a very personal way .... through the eyes on an Israeli soldier who had "blocked out" all memory of the event & felt an urgent need, years after, to understand what had occurred & what it meant to him personally. A very moving viewing experience. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

Note: the Rotten Tomatoes link at the bottom of this post contains 4 different video clips from the film, which are of superior quality to this youtube clip:

Quote:
Synopsis: In reflecting upon his time spent in the Israeli army, filmmaker Ari Folman has produced WALTZ WITH BASHIR, a profoundly moving antiwar meditation that is equal parts personal memoir, history lesson, and animated fever dream. In 1982, Folman was a soldier during Israel's first invasion of Lebanon. This was a painful moment in history, when the newly elected president of Lebanon, Bashir Gemayel, was killed in an explosion. Furious, his party, the Christian Phalangists, retaliated by storming into the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps and massacring thousands of innocent victims. Over 20 years later, Folman is disturbed to realize that he has no memory of this incident even though he was there at the time. In order to remember, he tracks down several of his friends and soldiers who were there with him to find out what really happened. WALTZ WITH BASHIR is as difficult to categorize as it is to forget. It is a truly startling achievement, a film that can be classified as animation and documentary and history and fiction. It is all of those things at once, and it is also much more than that. Folman uses a combination of Flash animation, 3D, and classic animation to bring his film to visual life, but it is the beautifully haunting score by acclaimed German composer Max Richter that provides the film with its heart and soul. As WALTZ WITH BASHIR unfolds in dreamlike waves, Folman understands that guilt is a dangerous thing, and war is even worse.

Reviews & video trailers:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/waltz_with_bashir/
tsarstepan

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:40 am
@msolga,
What a great film with an extraordinary score as well.

Should have won it's respective Oscar [Best Foreign Language Film of the Year].
msolga

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:45 am
@tsarstepan,
I agree, great film, tsar.

Did it win any Oscar awards at all? (I do understand that Oscars are not necessarily an accurate indication of a film's worth. Wink )
tsarstepan

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:00 am
@msolga,
No. Only nominated for that one. Was ruled ineligible for best original score because some of the music used in the film was also used in another film scored by the composer.

It did win the best foreign language Golden Globe and a bunch of awards for the Israeli version of the Oscars.

It's biggest win was a surprise mention by the National Society of Film Critics Awards who named it the best film of 2008.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/awards

And was included in countless critic's top 10 lists.
msolga

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for that information, tsar.

That's pretty impressive. Though, as you say, it certainly deserved much more recognition.

And yes, the sound track was excellent ... perfectly matched to each episode of the film.
tsarstepan

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:57 am
@msolga,
I got it on amazon.com and have it on my iPod.
msolga

Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:11 am
@tsarstepan,
Obviously an important film for you, tsar.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:55 am
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/custom/48/1190648.jpg

I chose this film (on DVD, but released in 2009 in Oz) without having read any reviews or knowing any background information about it. It seemed a fairly safe choice for an evening's viewing with a friend who had (delicately) hinted that my usual choice of films was ... somewhat bleak & angsty for her taste. Neutral
So a film about a wedding seemed a fairly acceptable light "romantic" choice. Ha! It turned out to be about the prodigal daughter (Kym - ANNE HATHAWAY) of a dysfunctional family, returning home for the first time (after 10 years of rehab to recover from her drug habit) to attend her sister Rachel's (ROSEMARIE DeWITT) wedding. We discover that there's been a huge family tragedy for which Kym was responsible, the fallout from which is no where near settled. As well, there's all the drama & excitement of a multicultural marriage. For the most part, I found this quite an interesting film (as did my friend! Wink ). Anne Hathaway is convincing as Kym, a character who could hardly be described as "sympathetic" & the other performances are pretty convincing, too. For me, the film went right off the rails for a time when it focused (for far too long) on the wedding celebration - musical performances & the all those attending the wedding - while the main story was put on hold.

TRAILERS included in the link at the bottom of this post.

Quote:
Synopsis:Young fans of Anne Hathaway's previous roles in family films such as THE PRINCESS DIARIES and ELLA ENCHANTED probably wouldn't know what to make of her character in RACHEL GETTING MARRIED. Hathaway's Kym is a recovering drug addict who leaves rehab behind to attend the wedding of her sister, Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt, MAD MEN), but Kym's problems follow her home. Rachel cannot forgive or forget Kym's many drug-fuelled transgressions, and their father (Bill Irwin, LADY IN THE WATER) dotes on his returned daughter. As the wedding grows closer, the spotlight shifts from Rachel to Kym, much to the bride's irritation. The alternately hilarious and heartbreaking dialogue in RACHEL GETTING MARRIED adeptly walks the line between wit and reality, giving audiences a picture of a family that feels entirely authentic. Before directing this indie-feeling drama, director Jonathan Demme spent time doing a few documentaries, such as THE AGRONOMIST, and JIMMY CARTER: MAN FROM PLAINS. These films seem like a departure from his normal oeuvre--including THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS--but they work as a bridge to RACHEL GETTING MARRIED. Demme chose to shoot this film with handheld cameras, lending it a naturalistic feel, as though a cameraman is simply shooting the family videos of a fascinatingly flawed group of people. The cast certainly deserves praise for the film's authenticity as well. Much has been made of Hathaway's masterly shedding of her usual roles to play the damaged Kym, but credit should also go to the other members of the cast, particularly Irwin as the too devoted father and DeWitt as the overlooked sister. Stories about dysfunctional families are nothing new in the world of cinema, but RACHEL GETTING MARRIED stands out thanks to its talented cast and excellent script from Jenny Lumet, daughter of director Sidney Lumet (NETWORK).

Reviews & trailers:
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/rachel_getting_married/

tsarstepan

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
@msolga,
Despite the attention being paid to Anne Hathaway's Kym, the greatest performance came from Rosemarie DeWitt. An terrible omission made by the Academy for not giving her a supporting nomination.

All in all, a very difficult film to watch. One of the best ensemble casts of 2008.
msolga

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Interesting comments, tsar.

Apart from the "wedding celebration episode", which I saw as a too lengthy distraction from the story, it was actually quite involving, come to think of it!

(It was released here in 2009)

tsarstepan

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:32 pm
@msolga,
It's far from a flawless film like the dishwashing competition scene was kind of cloyingly annoying.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:50 pm
"Up in the Air" with Geo. Clooney in the lead role. I found it a very good movie, with good acting, and found it to be well-paced (Jason Reitman).
msolga

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:54 pm
@Ragman,
Could you tell us a bit more (if you have the time), Ragman?

Interested.
Ragman

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:31 pm
@msolga,
sure.

Clooney's character in the movie jets around the country as a corporate -guy that is contracted to fire people for companies that are laying off and downsizing , etc. He discovers after flying (million-mile flyers club), and having no long-term relationships for decades and doing his craft that his life has no roots or depth. The movuie is far more interesting thatn it sounds. The female characters in the movie wake this guy up.

Ebert reports that Oscar nominations for Anne Kendrick (Clooney character's protege) are expected.
tsarstepan

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@Ragman,
I've really been looking forward to seeing Up in the Air for quite awhile.
An old interview by Terri Gross on her show, Fresh Air with the director Jason Reitman.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120993990
msolga

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for that, tsar.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks for obliging, Ragman.

(Didn't find your post till now.)

Might be a good one to see!