Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

tsarstepan

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:13 pm
@msolga,
True it's a formulaic story where the ending was so predictable but the journey was still thrilling and harrowing that it made up for its flaws. I don't think it deserved its Oscar win for best song and score.

The blatant duality that is India: extreme poverty clashing with the rising middle class is an important factor in the story. The realism of the funny moments lying in between the stark horror of the life in poverty shows how far India has to advance to be accepted in the developed world. The stark contrasts were amazingly depicted visually by Danny Boyle, a director I love, and his cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle.

While the movie was released, many of its detractors claimed that it didn't depict the real India. Unfortunately, it depicts a very accurate depiction of Indian life at least according to the articles and news stories I seen over many years (from CSMonitor, the New York Times, PBS, several films by Deepa Mehta, etc...).

The chemistry between the main couple shown in brief interludes throughout the film was convincing enough for me in spite of the jerkish reactions I've read on the lines of why would the very beautiful Freida Pinto's character would ever fall in love with Dev Patel's character.

Plus I saw it on my Christmas vacation in Pittsburgh at the time I saw it in the theater. Rare to see that Pittsburgh would be part of the limited release as the rest of the country got it in late January. And being extra happy going into a movie screening helps a bit as well.

Add this all up and Danny Boyle did this amazing job on a tight independent budget of $15 million? All and all a great film.
msolga

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for such a detailed post, tsar. Can't read it now, as I'm going out now.

So I'll read & respond later.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:18 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Robbed?

It was a great film.

In movie speak, robbed means the actor deserved being nominated but wasn't. It's a critique against the Academy's lack of proper recognition of Ulrich Mühe's incredibly subtle performance.

That year the Academy gave out nominations to the following...
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner:

Quote:
The Last King of Scotland (2006) - Forest Whitaker
Other Nominees:

Blood Diamond (2006) - Leonardo DiCaprio
Half Nelson (2006) - Ryan Gosling (I)
The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - Will Smith (I) Definitely didn't deserve a nomination for this tepid performance and role.
Venus (2006/I) - Peter O'Toole (I)
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for that, tsar.

I guess, from what I saw of it, it seemed almost an Indian version of Oliver Twist (which, to tell the truth, I wasn't crazy about either.)

I understand why you like it so much from what you've said. And having been to India, I know about the poverty there. But I guess my preference is to have such serious issues dealt with realistically, rather than (what I perceived it) romantically. (I'm sounding like a miserable grouch now, aren't I? Wink )
tsarstepan

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I understand why you like it so much from what you've said. And having been to India, I know about the poverty there. But I guess my preference is to have such serious issues dealt with realistically, rather than (what I perceived it) romantically. (I'm sounding like a miserable grouch now, aren't I? )

Like a grouch? No. I'm seeing it from a marginally naive westerner with a marginal understanding of life in India. A little knowledge can be dangerous.

Your first hand knowledge of life in India trumps my meager romanticism.
msolga

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Please, no need to be so diplomatic, tsar. Smile

I have a predilection for hideous, warts & all, no stone left unturned reality. This explains my cheerful diposition! Razz

There are many different ways to tell a story, I understand that.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:51 pm
So, O movie buff extraordinaire, any really good recommendations for current films?
tsarstepan

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:01 am
@msolga,
This suggestion might seem like a contradiction but for a warts and all bitter taste of reality, the remarkable independent science fiction film District 9.

A great allegory and critique against the racial segregation practices in the past and depressingly still practiced in the present. Not a perfect film but a great breakout film for both lead actor, Sharlto Copley and it's director Neill Blomkamp.
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh OK, tsar!

I trust your judgement.

I will definitely check that out. Thank you!

Over to YouTube now to see promo trailers .....
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:07 am
@msolga,
It does look interesting!

msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:21 am
@msolga,
Why, in some obscure sort of way, am I reminded of Blade Runner?

(which I really liked!)
tsarstepan

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:23 am
@tsarstepan,
For a complete change of pace, Julie & Julia. The screen chemistry in this biopic of Julia Childs between Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci is probably the most romantic pairing I've ever seen in any film.

Plus Amy Adams is such a great actress on her own merits (and she's kind of cute). Cool Two of my favorite actresses of all time.
tsarstepan

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Why, in some obscure sort of way, am I reminded of Blade Runner?

(which I really liked!)

It's probably the gritty dirty sooty nature of both of the film's environments. Plus the government's of both films are corrupt in their own rights and reasons.
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Ah! Idea

... and something about outsiders & insiders, or am I way off the mark here?
tsarstepan

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:31 am
@msolga,
That's a dead on accurate and literal assessment of the situation and plot.
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:33 am
@tsarstepan,
This is my sorta film, tsar!

Right. Gonna go see it! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:45 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

For a complete change of pace, Julie & Julia. The screen chemistry in this biopic of Julia Childs between Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci is probably the most romantic pairing I've ever seen in any film.

Plus Amy Adams is such a great actress on her own merits (and she's kind of cute). Cool Two of my favorite actresses of all time.

LOVED THAT!!!!!
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:46 am
@tsarstepan,
I have been meaning to see Julia & Julia for ages, tsar. I hope it's still showing.

The food, ya know, the food! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:47 am
@dlowan,
So a bunny recommendation, too!

This film must be brilliant!!! Razz
msolga

Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:27 am
@msolga,
Sneak preev. :