How Should a Christian Act?

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Questioner- I agree. It is religion that pits one group against others. It is only when people are considered as individuals, when people evolve out of the tribal mentality that religion postulates, that we will ever become close to achieving world peace.

Indeed. Which, if I recall correctly, is one of the signs of the Christian apocolypse.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
Which is precisely why I say that Christianity has missed the message in favor of the story. And they aren't the only ones...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:06 pm
J_B wrote:
Which is precisely why I say the Christianity has missed the message in favor of the story. And they aren't the only ones...

I would agree completely with your statement, as usual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:06 pm
J_B wrote:
. . . missed the message in favor of the story.

I like that turn of phrase . . . it's a cogent and acute criticism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
Questioner wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Questioner- I agree. It is religion that pits one group against others. It is only when people are considered as individuals, when people evolve out of the tribal mentality that religion postulates, that we will ever become close to achieving world peace.

Indeed. Which, if I recall correctly, is one of the signs of the Christian apocolypse.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. Get enough folks from one group to be pissed off at another group, add some nukes, and boom! Armageddon. The funny thing, is that all these self proclaimed "prophets of doom" won't be around to say, "I told you so"! Laughing

That reminds me of a song:

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/allgo.htm

Quote:
When you attend a funeral,
It is sad to think that sooner or'l
Later those you love will do the same for you.
And you may have thought it tragic,
Not to mention other adjec-
Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do.
(But don't you worry.)

No more ashes, no more sackcloth,
And an arm band made of black cloth
Will some day nevermore adorn a sleeve.
For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbors too,
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve.

And we will all go together when we go.
What a comforting fact that is to know.
Universal bereavement,
An inspiring achievement,
Yes, we will all go together when we go.

We will all go together when we go.
All suffused with an incandescent glow.
No one will have the endurance
To collect on his insurance,
Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go.

Oh we will all fry together when we fry.
We'll be french fried potatoes by and by.
There will be no more misery
When the world is our rotisserie,
Yes, we will all fry together when we fry.

Down by the old maelstrom,
There'll be a storm before the calm.

And we will all bake together when we bake.
There'll be nobody present at the wake.
With complete participation
In that grand incineration,
Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak.

Oh we will all char together when we char.
And let there be no moaning of the bar.
Just sing out a Te Deum
When you see that I.C.B.M.,*
And the party will be come-as-you-are.

Oh, we will all burn together when we burn.
There'll be no need to stand and wait your turn.
When it's time for the fallout
And Saint Peter calls us all out,
We'll just drop our agendas and adjourn.

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.
Go directly, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollahs.

And we will all go together when we go.
Every Hottentot and every Eskimo.
When the air becomes uranious,
We will all go simultaneous.
Yes, we all will go together
When we all go together,
Yes we all will go together when we go.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:13 pm
It's not the religion that is the problem. It is the people that use the religion for their own gains.

If the Gospel of Jesus were taught the way He intended it to be, I don't think we'd have such a big problem. But, it seems most seem to think that they have all the answers and are therefore correct.

I don't believe any of us have 100% of the answers. I don't even know half the questions yet!

Unfortunately, it's religion and God that gets blamed when it should be the individuals.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:17 pm
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's religion and God that gets blamed when it should be the individuals.

Momma- But all the mischief has been done in the name of that God and religion. Can't you see that?
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
If I may be so bold to interject something, here...
I have been observing weather patterns for the last few years. I began to do this because it just seemed to me that things were changing--mainly because
the climate where I live, and haved lived 37 years, began to behave in some new and unprecedented ways.
I do put trust into my Creator, whom I refer to as God, however I do not believe in the rapture, nor do I believe the world is going to 'end' anytime soon. I also have respect enough for mother nature to understand that what she wants to do, she does. She's mother nature, after all. She takes care of herself so well that we need not think we matter as much as apocalyptic misinterpretations might lead us to believe. I don't think that not seeing eye to eye is any reason to discredit someone just because they believe things we can not see as logical, or even if they don't see what we might see just because they don't think about things in the same fashion as our own perceptions.

Here are a few things, just to demonstrate that there is a change in the climate, manifested in the recent years. Not because I seek to prove either side of this debate but to hopefully share some information that I have found to be supported outside of any personal agenda. I have no agenda, since I gave up that habit several years ago.

Llyods of London says, in their Interim Results for six months ending June 30, 2005:
Quote:

"These solid results reflect the market's ability to respond effectively to more competitive conditions, with a clear focus on underwriting profit," said Lloyd's Chairman Lord Peter Levene. "Hurricanes Katrina and Rita were vivid illustrations of the increasing severity of natural catastrophes and the complex world of risk in which Lloyd's underwriters operate with distinction. Our policyholders in the affected U.S. states can rest assured that Lloyd's will once against meet all of its obligations, and play a full part in the recovery of that region."

From NOAA:
A page with a listing of Worldwide Weather and Climate Events in the US for the years 1991 through 2005. Also links to more similarly organized data.

From the PBS site for NOVA:
Quote:

Three weeks ago, on this Web site, Robert Krulwich and I discussed new research documenting the 50 percent increase in the power of tropical hurricanes since the 1970s. The author of the paper, Dr. Kerry Emanuel of MIT, blamed a significant part of this increase on global warming.

and

Quote:
Emanuel's study revealed the frightening increase in hurricane strength. Using statistical data collected from storms from as far back as the 1850s, Emanuel concluded that roughly half of the 50 percent increase he observed in hurricane strength was due to storms lasting longer, and half because their peak wind speeds have been increasing. In other words, hurricanes are simply getting stronger in every possible way.

2005 Hurrican Season from NCDC

That's just about hurricanes and such, but I also have done a lot of research into earthquakes (which seem to increasing in magnitude and occuring in more diverse areas which often don't have quakes) and many different other facets of our dear mother Earth's personality. One which is quite significant is the continued retreat of glaciation and the shrinking depth of the ice caps at both poles. Most of the info I get is from the government agencies that collect such data, which is about as good as it gets, as far as this type of thing. Most of it, though, is hard to find on some neat and tidy web page, summing it all up. I have accumulated my data over 2 or 3 years on a continual basis, from the same sources.

There are changes occurring--it is uncertain why, et al.--but they are definitely occurring in an escalating fashion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Phoenix,

Yes, I know that. But it is not GOD doing it. It is man and man is distorting it. People seem to focus on what someone else is doing instead of what God is saying. You can't blame God for that.

Just because someone says I am doing this in the name of God, doesn't mean they are. I think people need to be a bit more discerning is all. Don't blame God. Don't blame the message. Blame the one that distorted the message.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
qa, we're at the front end of the next 30 year cycle. Nothing new and unusual about the cycle yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
If the putative Jesus lived when he is claimed to have lived, he would not have had any intentions with regard to the "gospels," as they did not exist, nor could he have known that they would exist or the form they would take. The only argument against that would be to assert that the putative Jesus was divine. That was not proposed until well after this individual was alleged to have died--and was adopted from the Mithraic cult. To this day, there are significant numbers of Christians who do not necessarily subscribe to that belief.

The apologia that there are only individuals to blame for the bloodstains which bedeck religions relies upon a specious contention that the tribalism (good call Phoenix) inherent in religious bigotry does not exist, only evil motives on the part of individuals. This, however, ignores the doctrinal rigidity of all religious dogma, which asserts inerrant truth--and the believer is always seduced thereby into bigory, into the assumption of being a member of a uniquely superior group. The result is prejudice, from which it is always a short step to the slaughter.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
Bah humbug!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
The Crusades!

Onward Christian Soldiers!

The Power and the Glory!

I'm getting wet just thinking about it all Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:27 pm
ehBeth,

That is probably the most offensive thing I have ever seen you post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm
Bad Bear . . .

Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
It's not the religion that is the problem. It is the people that use the religion for their own gains.

Let me piece it together here.

J_B wrote:
treating each other with respect, tolerance of our differences, and acceptance of the inherent dignity and worth of every individual would go a long way towards accomplishing justice, equity, and peace within the world community.

Christianity is not tolerant. (see church and homosexuality threads)
God is not tolerant (see Sodom and Gomorrah, religious intolerance etc. etc)

From there you can argue that without tolerance of differences, there can be no respect nor acceptance. These intolerances come from the purported 'Word of God', his 'message' to us.

MA wrote:
Don't blame God. Don't blame the message.

What else IS there to blame?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
Blame the ones that distort God's word.

Questioner,

It's not Christianity that is intolerant. It's some of the people that are intolerant.

It's not the people we are to be intolerant of, it is the sins that are against God.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
qa, we're at the front end of the next 30 year cycle. Nothing new and unusual about the cycle yet.

About the cycle, itself, no. I agree. But the undeniable retreat of glaciation and shrinking ice caps is not precedented in mankind's known experience, and seems to have been taking place for almost a century already. Only quite recently has it become observable in its manifestation. It's blamed on global warming, which is no doubt part of it. But not necessarily because humans made it happen. The ice caps are not permanent fixtures to the Earth, only to remembered human history.

75% of the world's fresh water has been contained by the polar ice. Even a small portion of it reentering the system through thawing is sufficient to wreak a small bit of geophysical havoc on the world. And once a melting process begins, only a freezing condition can stop it or reverse it. I think that's beyond our means in the present, considering they are not quite sure of anything about it. It is truly a new event in this age of humanity.

No doubt it is part of a much bigger cycle that 30 year weather patterns, and nothing unusual in the grand scheme of things. Yet, in regard to its effect on human civilization as we know it, it is not just 'business as usual.'
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:47 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Blame the ones that distort God's word.

Questioner,

It's not Christianity that is intolerant. It's some of the people that are intolerant.

It's not the people we are to be intolerant of, it is the sins that are against God.

That's circular logic. If the person embraces the sin, which you profess you must hate, then you by default are not being tolerant of that person's lifestyle.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:52 pm
By definition any and all theistic belief systems are bigoted. Not only do I hold accountable the KKK, I also hold accountable the individual members of the KKK. While the grand poobah may have been at home watching O'Really on the telly, eating his KFC wings, his minions were stretching ropes. Not that I have anything against bigots, they're a dime a dozen at any given sunday morning services or saturday night bonfire.
0 Replies