The Bush Broken Constitution Game

dafdaf

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:34 pm
In this game, we have to give a quote, or event in which George Bush minor has broken a bill, treaty, or (for bonus points) the US constitution.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,282 • Replies: 35
No top replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:14 am
Well not excatly a quote but,

The US constitution says that the president is "elected" by the electorate - Bush was "nominated" by the courts....

Do I still get bonus points ?? Smile

Edited as I said "pounds" instead of "points". For some reason I was thinking of money as I was posting this Surprised
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 05:00 am
bookmark
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:13 am
you are not responsible for breaking something you dont know exists and have never read.
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:40 am
Ah yes - Bush's election defeat, then Supreme Court corruption that'd make OJ Simpson blush.

five points to Gautum (one for each genuine vote) and two bonus points too

Montana loses a point for randomly shouting words

And Dyslexa gets two points for the witty remark, and a bonus two for relating the answer to his name.

Right, now we all know the rules, I expect to see answers flying in
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:18 am
How can you lose points from an inital total equal to zero?

Go Bush, Baby!
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:53 am
New Haven loses three points
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:02 am
It seems obvious by the responses and points awarded already that those responding haven't read the US Constitution.

Quote:
The US constitution says that the president is "elected" by the electorate..

It says no such thing. -200 points.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:15 am
A rating system at last. Terrific.
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:33 am
fishin' wrote:
It seems obvious by the responses and points awarded already that those responding haven't read the US Constitution.

Quote:
The US constitution says that the president is "elected" by the electorate..

It says no such thing. -200 points.

aww but have you seen how long it is?

5 points for correctly spotting the deliberate mistake, 5 points off for giving/removing points without my prior consent, and a bonus 2 points up for grabs if you can find some documentation that says how the president is to lawfully reach power.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:39 am
Quote:

Article II

Section 1. The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

etc etc - there are a whole lot of amendments, but I guess it captures the gist.

Can I have my orginal points back ?
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:40 am
Amendment XV, Section 1:
Amendment XV, Section 1 wrote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

In the state of Florida, votes of convicted felons were omitted (that was lawful) and votes cast by those with similar names or dates of birth were also omitted (illegal). Since (due to inequality and some corruption in the law imo) the majority of felons were black, those with similar names were also predominently black. Additionally, the poorer areas of the state tended to have the voting machines in worse condition, which contributed to many votes failing to count as the holes didn't properly perferate the cards. These areas are predominently black areas.

All of which meant that a huge number of black voters were prevented of carrying out their constituional right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:42 am
dafdaf, this might interest you:

http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

That's not regarding your request for documentation as to how a president may lawfully reach power, but that's easy enough to find via Google.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:44 am
Yo soz, read my post above

<banging the podium, Bush style> I <pause> want <pause> my <pause> points <pause> back !
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:44 am
Gautam, I never took your points away and they do still stand. But I don't think the quote you have can possibly be the best one, and prove the critics wrong. Find a better one and you'll get yourself an extra 1 point.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:45 am
But dafdaf - this is an extract from the US constitution !!
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:48 am
Very, very good link Soz. You're gonna get 5 points that one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:49 am
gautam, right, I was typing while you guys posted that stuff.

But the link I have is about the constitutional breaches committed by the Bush Administration. (Not commenting as to its validity, but seems to be a handy round-up in terms of this thread.)

http://www.votetoimpeach.org/notes_5.htm
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:52 am
Gaut, well yes it is indeed from the constituion, but it's not entirely relevent. It basically says that there will be a democracy, and how the senate and congress relate to it, but I'm sure there's something in the constitution about how the election itself must take place.

Remember, your current points stand - the more relevent quote would simply be for a bonus one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:54 am
Oh goody, 5 points.

dafdaf, you look startlingly like a friend of mine, but he's American and Republican, which I gather you are, er, not.
0 Replies