Brokeback Mountain, A Break Through or Expected Revelation?

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
This film that won the Venice Film Festival Golden Lion is about to be released into movie theaters. One idiot playwright who I won't name from Montana (Montana mentality?) said she never met a gay cowboy. Did she expect them to wear lace? The movie is about why you may never expect to recognize a gay cowboy. Or a gay football player, or anyone gay in what is considered to have a macho occupation.

Here's the Boston.com column addressing the significance of the film (I've copied and pasted as one has to register to read it).l

'Brokeback Mountain' turns a short story into a Hollywood first
By Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff | December 11, 2005

NEW YORK -- What struck screenwriter Diana Ossana when she first read Annie Proulx's short story ''Brokeback Mountain" nearly a decade ago was the way it snuck up on her. It started to unfold as an iconic Western tale of male bonding and rugged landscapes, a glimpse of two young men with sheepherding jobs on a Wyoming mountain. When they had sudden sex in a pup tent, several pages in, the readers were as shocked as the characters.

Few will see ''Brokeback Mountain" in theaters with that kind of blank slate. Since production began on the screenplay Ossana and Larry McMurtry adapted, hype over the ''gay cowboy movie" has reached stratospheric levels. The film, directed by Ang Lee, took the top prize at the Venice Film Festival. Heath Ledger's lead performance, as a clench-jawed cowboy who can't put words to his feelings, has garnered Oscar buzz. And threaded through the fan sites, the chat rooms, the adulatory magazine stories, is talk about the way this film will change the world.

If the right people go to see it.

There is a solid argument to be made that ''Brokeback Mountain" is the first mainstream American film to portray gay love straightforwardly -- not in the context of an issue film about AIDS, not as a campy side plot, but as old-fashioned melodrama, with moony eyes and explicit sex.

''I loved 'Dr. Zhivago,' " producer James Schamus says. ''I wanted to see if I could help get a movie out there that delivered some of that experience."

And in a culture that remains deeply divided over gay rights, the choice Schamus has made -- to promote a movie about gay love as a movie about gay love -- is, in a sense, as provocative as the subject matter.

True, the publicity shots don't show the leads kissing (or, for the most part, even looking at each other). But when Schamus started planning the marketing campaign, he says, ''I wanted to see all the posters of the most romantic movies ever made."

That's why the ''Brokeback Mountain" poster deliberately invokes the poster from ''Titanic." And why the trailer, with its sweeping music and cherry-picked dialogue, wraps Lee's often-understated film in a fair amount of schmaltz. The line ''I wish I knew how to quit you" seems almost argumentative in Proulx's story, but it comes across here as high drama.

The trailer has aired in art house theaters, as might be expected. But it has also run with mainstream fare, from the chick flick ''In Her Shoes" to the biopic ''Walk the Line." Schamus says a friend saw it at a screening of ''Rent" and reported that the audience applauded. Lee saw the trailer at a recent Calgary Flames game, not far from where the filming took place; the hockey crowd, he said, was ''very quiet."

But Schamus hopes the themes of rich romance and impossible love will drive women to the theaters -- perhaps dragging husbands and boyfriends along.

''What was the last great, epic, sweeping romance?" he asks, and a few minutes later, he settles on an answer. ''The Bridges of Madison County," he announces, is ''actually one of the few films that lines up."

If it were truly a traditional love story, of course, ''Brokeback Mountain" wouldn't have the hype, or the history. The screenplay famously languished in Hollywood for eight years, as stories spread about directors latching on, stars loving the script, and managers steering their clients away.

''Agents didn't want their beloved actors to take this risky role," McMurtry says. ''That's the bottom line."

Schamus, a longtime collaborator with Lee, said he figured the themes would appeal to the director's sensibilities. And after ''Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and ''The Hulk," Lee says, he was eager to do something quiet and small. Despite its rich landscapes and explosive subject, ''Brokeback Mountain" is an intimate film, with few characters, sparse dialogue, and a focus on interior emotions.

That's what attracted Ledger to the role of Ennis Del Mar, the taciturn ranch hand whose struggle to balance love and social obligation is at the movie's core.

''I never personally felt like I had a career at risk," Ledger says. ''If anything, it felt like an opportunity for me to mature as a person and as an actor, which is what I'd kind of been looking for."

And of shooting sex scenes with costar Jake Gyllenhaal -- the most striking one, violent and unflinching, was filmed in one morning, in 13 takes -- Ledger is almost perfunctory.

''I hate to break it to you, but it really wasn't [difficult]," Ledger says. ''Once you do the first take, you're kind of over it."

The movie's stars have been struggling, of late, to tread the line between downplaying the movie's gay themes and exploiting them. Controversy makes for good press, after all; ''courageous" isn't a terrible label during awards season. And some fans have anticipated the film as a cultural milestone.

''It's sweet to be walking down the street with Heath and have people come up and just say, 'Thank you,' " says Michelle Williams, who plays Ennis's wife -- and gave birth to Ledger's daughter this fall.

Indeed, as much as he touts the film's mainstream appeal, Schamus also raves about an Internet response that has centered on a very particular crowd. The movie's website posts confessionals from fans, some of whom admit to secret love affairs with same-sex soul mates. Internet buzz has marked the film as a triumph for gay rights.

''I think people can learn just as much about the struggle that gay men have watching this movie as they could watching a movie about AIDS or Stonewall," says Andy Towle, a cultural critic whose website, www.towleroad.com, gets 20,000 visitors, most gay, each day. The site devoted so much space to ''Brokeback Mountain" that producers invited Towle to a special screening last fall. He has been gushing ever since.

Critics have been largely effusive, too, touting the film as ''classic" and ''groundbreaking." But it's unclear how much of that praise is reaction to what the film has come to represent, says Brandon Gray, president and publisher of boxofficemojo.com, an online movie publication and box office tracking service.

''It's like a badge of honor, for this movie, for straight critics to show how hip and cool and not homophobic they are," Gray says.

But mass audiences don't live in a film-festival bubble, Gray says. And some reportedly have chuckled at the trailer -- not because they're homophobic, he suggests, but because it seems maudlin and manipulative. To those untouched by political goals or movie industry chatter, he says, the gay theme may feel like tokenism rather than truth.

''It doesn't come off as a profound thing," he says. ''It comes off as, 'Let's try to do an unrequited love story, but with gay cowboys.' That's why it causes giggles. That's why it will have a limited mainstream audience."

In a sense, the risks to the filmmakers are small. ''Brokeback Mountain" was made on a modest budget -- Focus Features officially says it cost well under $20 million, compared to $150 million for the epic ''Chronicles of Narnia" -- and doesn't need great audiences to succeed.

Still, Schamus and Lee have higher goals, and some precedent for thinking that a film could lead to change. Some 13 years ago, they collaborated on ''The Wedding Banquet," a Taiwanese comedy about a gay New York couple that plans a sham wedding to please one man's conservative parents. The day after it premiered in Taipei, Schamus says, the local gay and lesbian organization listed its phone number for the first time.

And the movie, Lee says, helped to spark a shift in what filmmakers are willing to do, and what audiences are willing to accept.

In Taiwan, Lee quips, ''only gay movies get made these days."

Joanna Weiss can be reached at [email protected].

NEW YORK -- What struck screenwriter Diana Ossana when she first read Annie Proulx's short story ''Brokeback Mountain" nearly a decade ago was the way it snuck up on her. It started to unfold as an iconic Western tale of male bonding and rugged landscapes, a glimpse of two young men with sheepherding jobs on a Wyoming mountain. When they had sudden sex in a pup tent, several pages in, the readers were as shocked as the characters.

Few will see ''Brokeback Mountain" in theaters with that kind of blank slate. Since production began on the screenplay Ossana and Larry McMurtry adapted, hype over the ''gay cowboy movie" has reached stratospheric levels. The film, directed by Ang Lee, took the top prize at the Venice Film Festival. Heath Ledger's lead performance, as a clench-jawed cowboy who can't put words to his feelings, has garnered Oscar buzz. And threaded through the fan sites, the chat rooms, the adulatory magazine stories, is talk about the way this film will change the world.

If the right people go to see it.

There is a solid argument to be made that ''Brokeback Mountain" is the first mainstream American film to portray gay love straightforwardly -- not in the context of an issue film about AIDS, not as a campy side plot, but as old-fashioned melodrama, replete with moony eyes and explicit sex.

''I loved 'Dr. Zhivago,' " producer James Schamus says. ''I wanted to see if I could help get a movie out there that delivered some of that experience."

And in a culture that remains deeply divided over gay rights, the choice Schamus has made -- to promote a movie about gay love as a movie about gay love -- is, in a sense, as provocative as the subject matter.

True, the publicity shots don't show the leads kissing (or, for the most part, even looking at each other). But when Schamus started planning the marketing campaign, he says, ''I wanted to see all the posters of the most romantic movies ever made."

That's why the ''Brokeback Mountain" poster deliberately invokes the poster from ''Titanic." And why the trailer, with its sweeping music and cherry-picked dialogue, wraps Lee's often-understated film in a fair amount of schmaltz. The line ''I wish I knew how to quit you" seems almost argumentative in Proulx's story, but it comes across as here as high drama.

The trailer has aired in art house theaters, as might be expected. But it has also run with mainstream fare, from the chick flick ''In Her Shoes" to the biopic ''Walk the Line." Schamus says a friend saw it at a screening of ''Rent" and reported that the audience applauded. Lee saw the trailer at a recent Calgary Flames game, not far from where the filming took place; the hockey crowd, he said, was ''very quiet."

But Schamus hopes the themes of rich romance and impossible love will drive women to the theaters -- perhaps dragging husbands and boyfriends along.

''What was the last great epic sweeping romance?" he asks, and a few minutes later, he settles on an answer. ''The Bridges of Madison County," he announces, is ''actually one of the few films that lines up."

If it were truly a traditional love story, of course, ''Brokeback Mountain" wouldn't have the hype, or the history. The screenplay famously languished in Hollywood for eight years, as stories spread about directors latching on, stars loving the script, and managers steering their clients away.

''Agents didn't want their beloved actors to take this risky role," McMurtry says. ''That's the bottom line."

Schamus, a longtime collaborator with Lee, said he figured the themes would appeal to the director's sensibilities. And after ''Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and ''The Hulk," Lee says, he was eager to do something quiet and small. Despite its rich landscapes and explosive subject, ''Brokeback Mountain" is an intimate film, with few characters, sparse dialogue, and a focus on interior emotions.

That's what attracted Ledger to the role of Ennis Del Mar, the taciturn ranch hand whose struggle to balance love and social obligation is at the movie's core.

''I never personally felt like I had a career at risk," Ledger says. ''If anything, it felt like an opportunity for me to mature as a person and as an actor, which is what I'd kind of been looking for."

And of shooting sex scenes with costar Jake Gyllenhaal -- the most striking one, violent and unflinching, was filmed in one morning, in 13 takes -- Ledger is almost perfunctory.

''I hate to break it to you, but it really wasn't [difficult]," Ledger says. ''Once you do the first take, you're kind of over it."

The movie's stars have been struggling, of late, to tread the line between downplaying the movie's gay themes and exploiting them. Controversy makes for good press, after all; ''courageous" isn't a terrible label during awards season. And some fans have anticipated the film as a cultural milestone.

''It's sweet to be walking down the street with Heath and have people come up and just say, 'Thank you,' " says Michelle Williams, who plays Ennis's wife -- and gave birth to Ledger's daughter this fall.

Indeed, as much as he touts the film's mainstream appeal, Schamus also raves about an Internet response that has centered on a very particular crowd. The movie's website posts confessionals from fans, some of whom admit to secret love affairs with same-sex soul mates. Internet buzz has marked the film as a triumph for gay rights.

''I think people can learn just as much about the struggle that gay men have watching this movie as they could watching a movie about AIDS or Stonewall," says Andy Towle, a cultural critic whose website, www.towleroad.com, gets 20,000 mostly-gay visitors each day. The site devoted so much space to ''Brokeback Mountain" that producers invited Towle to a special screening last fall. He has been gushing ever since.

Critics have been largely effusive, too, touting the film as ''classic" and ''groundbreaking." But it's unclear how much of that praise is reaction to what the film has come to represent, says Brandon Gray, president and publisher of boxofficemojo.com, an online movie publication and box office tracking service.

"It's like a badge of honor, for this movie, for straight critics to show how hip and cool and not homophobic they are," Gray says.

But mass audiences don't live in a film-festival bubble, Gray says. And some reportedly have chuckled at the trailer -- not because they're homophobic, he suggests, but because it seems maudlin and manipulative. To those untouched by political goals or movie industry chatter, he says, the gay theme may feel like tokenism, rather than truth.

''It doesn't come off as a profound thing," he says. ''It comes off as, 'Let's try to do an unrequited love story, but with gay cowboys.' That's why it causes giggles. That's why it will have a limited mainstream audience."

In a sense, the risks to the filmmakers are small. ''Brokeback Mountain" was made on a modest budget -- Focus Features officially says it cost well under $20 million, compared to $150 million for the epic ''The Chronicles of Narnia" -- and doesn't need great audiences to succeed.

Still Schamus and Lee have higher goals, and some precedent for thinking that a film could lead to change. Some 13 years ago, they collaborated on ''The Wedding Banquet," a Taiwanese comedy about a gay New York couple that plans a sham wedding to please one man's conservative parents. The day after it premiered in Taipei, Schamus says, the local gay and lesbian organization listed its phone number for the first time.

And the movie, Lee says, helped to spark a shift in what filmmakers are willing to do, and what audiences are willing to accept.

In Taiwan, Lee quips, ''only gay movies get made these days."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,377 • Replies: 144
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:03 am
I guess I never realized Annie Proulx wrote that book. I like some of her stuff.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:06 am
In a recent interview, Annie was asked what she thought of the movie....

Knocked for a loop. I had no idea of what to expect as I had had no input into the making of the film beyond some conversation with Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry when they were writing the screenplay, and a letter to Focus president James Schamus and Ang Lee begging them to keep the language of the story intact. I did not visit the set. I feared the landscape on which the story rests would be lost, that sentimentality would creep in, that explicit sexual content would be watered down. None of that happened. The film is huge and powerful. I may be the first writer in America to have a piece of writing make its way to the screen whole and entire. And, when I saw the film for the first time, I was astonished that the characters of Jack and Ennis came surging into my mind again, for (hence the lie in Missouri Review ) I thought I had successfully banished them over the years. Wrong.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
Not too many authors are pleased with the results of a filmation. The crux of the debate about the film seems to be whether it's too sedated or too graphic! The right wing religious organizations are remaining quite still about this film. Their worry -- protest and it calls even more attention to it. I don't think they have to be concerned -- between the critical raves and even if the film attracted only a gay audience, it would be successful. Oscar is waiting in the wings by all indications.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
(BTW, it was a short story in The New Yorker magazine, not a book).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:45 am
Really? Did you read the story?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
It was also published in a collection of short stories by Proulx, which I read. Must say I was surprised by this one, but all the stories are strong...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
By "book" it would infer a full novel. Yes, it was in the collected short stories by Prolux and, yes, I read the original story in The New Yorker.

BTW, somehow Boston.com placed in the article in duplicate on their site. Sorry for the error here.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Listened to a piece about this on NPR.

When I heard it was by Prolux, I became intriqued.

By the end of the section, I was thinking "boy, this isn't anything like what I thought when I overhead someone say "it's about gay cowboys"

When is it being released?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:11 pm
It is in theaters now.

I think.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
It's in limited release in major venues and due for release nationwide I believe on the 14th. That's when it hits the Midwest market in force and will tell a new tale (tail?) about the projected box office.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
In just five theaters, "Brokeback Mountain" has already broken the half-a-million dollar mark. Doesn't take much talent in multiplication that it will be on its way to turning a profit.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
Lightwizard, don't you ever talk about anything but movies?

You need more balance in your life.

How 'bout them Packers?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
Haven't time to post as I am not only full time in the gallery but still doing lighting design and installations. It may be amazing I have time to post at all. I have taken a full day off today so I'm still in my robe with a cup of coffee!

So as far as balance, I'm involved in the art market, interior design, lighting, tend three aquariums at home as well as two cats and a tropical garden. I need more focus on one thing, perhaps.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:27 pm
(Okay, I did watch the USC-UCLA debacle and it may have caused me to be bored with football).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:26 pm
The film has just garnered seven Golden Globe nominations including the best dramatic category and won as best films by the New York Film Critics.
Heath Ledger looks like the front runner for the Oscar despite the competition of Philip Seymore Hoffman as Truman Copote.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:35 pm
Did anyone happen to catch the week that Boondocks did on Brokeback Mountain. Grandpa decided he needed to go see a movie with cowboys and men being men.

It will be interesting to see how this movie actually does in wide release. I don't think it is going to be a hundred million dollar film. I haven't seen it yet but it strikes me as more of an indie art film.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:13 pm
for anyone who wants to read the short story, it's here:
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/content/?051212fr_archive01
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Also up for a few Golden Globe nominations Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
yitwail wrote:
for anyone who wants to read the short story, it's here:
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/content/?051212fr_archive01

Thanks, yitwail, I would like to read it again.
0 Replies