Brokeback Mountain, A Break Through or Expected Revelation?

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
Hope I'm not spoiling it for anyone watching the show but "Brokeback Mountain" has won Best Picture at the Critic's Choice Award. AFI has also name it best picture of the year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
Wow!

I guess I have to see it. (I've been holding back even though the indicators are good.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:17 pm
I want to see it--but there's absolutely no one I could take who'd think it was appropriate.

I guess I'll have to wait for it to come out in video.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:19 pm
Or go alone?

I've been doing that more lately, kinda nice. Not that I see movies that often, but the last 2-3 have been solo. (Usually when there is a limited engagement with open captions and E.G. isn't available/ isn't interested, and it's too old for sozlet.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:27 pm
Wow.

I'd never thought of going alone.

You know, once the movie starts, it's not like you're talking to anyone...

I may try that!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
Go for it!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Great idea -- I saw it alone the first time and am seeing it again tomorrow near the gallery with a co-worker and a client. I'm bringing three boxes of kleenex.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
From a BBC news release:

Critics honour Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain leads the Golden Globes nominations
Cowboy romance Brokeback Mountain has secured three more prizes at the 11th annual Critics' Choice Awards.
The epic movie, adapted from a short story by E Annie Proulx, was voted best film by the critics, who have a reputation for picking Oscar winners.

Director Ang Lee was named best director, while Michelle Williams was jointly named best supporting actress.

The tale of forbidden love between two men leads the nominees for the Golden Globes, due to be announced next week.

Williams, who plays the disappointed wife to Heath Ledger's character Ennis Del Mar, shared her prize with Amy Adams, for the comedy Junebug.

"We trusted the tale and it led us to where it wanted to go ... we are getting a better reception than we thought," said Taiwanese-born director Lee, speaking after the awards.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:36 pm
It's a great film. I'm glad to see that it's winning awards.

I see films alone all the time, Lash. Don't miss this one! Some films should be seen on a big screen and this is one. The scenery and cinematography won't be nearly as impressive on a TV.

Oh, and definitely bring Kleenex.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
I sogged up a bunch of Kleenex and it has been years since a film has been able to get that emotional response from me. I wasn't embarrased because I could barely find anyone leaving the theater who wasn't -- many have remarked how that happened with "Passion of the Christ," except here nobody was thrashed to death.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:52 pm
(Or were they?)
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:22 pm
I may have to go watch it alone too Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:41 pm
Second time around, just as powerful if one lets themselves be drawn in by the imagery and the emotions of the characters. Ang Lee leaves it to the viewer to hear the emotional inner voices as much of the direction of the charcters is very Kubrick. Again, the majority of a matinee audience (the theater was well attended) remained seated when the credits rolled and I think its because they were too stunned to get up.

I'm sorry but for those who don't get this picture, you may be suffering from cold fish syndrome.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:47 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
Four Golden Globes including Best Picture and Best Director -- maybe I was more excited about the Best Song! Although Heath and Michelle lost out to some stiff competition, this should boost "Brokeback Mountain" into the box offices annals for small films (it is actually a major studio behind the film, Universal with Focus Features).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
This whole thing reminds me of a recent article by (A.O. Scott? Anthony Lane? Don't remember) about how there are far fewer awful films these days but far fewer great ones, too. About how the same risk-taking that produces greatness produces awfulness, and major studios are allergic to risk. This was a risk-taker, and good for them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
Absolutely, good for them. Universal and Focus Features are on their way to doing greater things than the dominant Miramax who have now lost their key executives.

Ang Lee lauded this year as a great one for films as well as Ebert and Roeper. Search out the gems and one can state that 2005 was a great year for movies. Now whether major studios will now conscientiously produce some really good gay themed films or end up exploiting the thematic material remains to be seen.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 04:59 pm
Ang Lee is such an awesome filmmaker - I know people also didn't repond well to Hulk but I think Lee has a way of understanding his materials so well (like formatting structure of Hulk like actual comic strips) and unfold them subtly on screen. Perhaps too subtle for the general public? If you look at the list of films he's made over the yrs, it's just amazing the depth and variety of genres and stories he's experimented with. So following in that vain, Brokeback Mountain is yet another masterpiece - keep it coming Ang Lee!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:51 am
Heath Ledger on Jay Leno, explaining his absence from the post press conferance and parties at the Golden Globes:

HEATH LEDGER ON THE TONIGHT SHOW

The film has also garnered nine BAFTA nominations, the British Oscars.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:53 am
And Jake Gyllenhaal on Leno:

JAKE ON LENO LINK
0 Replies