Using "will" for persistent habit.

JTT

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
As McTag noted and M56 also pointed out, 'would' rather than 'will' simply shows greater politeness/more deference. Historical past tense modal verbs are used in more polite collocations.
0 Replies

Goldmund

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 04:59 am
M56 wrote:

If you will only listen to me...

Dear friends,

It is a most interesting discussion. I have noted this use of «will» among British people. Smile

It is my opinion that we may not substitute «would» in the example that M56 provides. «If you will only listen to me» is a reproach. It is a suggestion that you listen to me as habit and must blame yourself for the consequences. It may also precede a question. That is, we may say:- «if you will only listen to me, what do you expect?». The stress is upon «will». The «will» means «insistence». We may say however:- «You would only listen to me. What did you expect?». The stress is upon «would». It is again a reproach.

It is further my opinion that we may say «If you will only listen to me» and «If you would only listen to me» as a protest. It is a suggestion that you do not listen to me. The stress is upon «listen». The «will» means «willingness».

I have edited my comments since I posted them first. I detected an error. Perhaps they are now confusing. I am sorry.

Kindest regards, Smile

Goldmund
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 04:27 pm
"Will" is not usually used in the subordinate clauses in conditonal sentences using if, suppose, imagine, etc.

It is used when politely making requests, which are not in the conditional. "If you would please give me a hand."

Andy
0 Replies

Goldmund

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:27 pm
Dear Andy CWS,

That is a most interesting observation.

I have heard «If you will» used among British people as a polite request. Here is an example. I have heard it in hotels. Smile

«If you'll just sign here, I'll get your keys.»

Kind regards, Smile

Goldmund
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:36 pm
If not old fashioned, perhaps somewhat formal, if you will.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
Cliff Hanger wrote:
If not old fashioned, perhaps somewhat formal, if you will.

Yes that's right. And it implies a certain volition.

It is tidier than saying

"If you would like to sign here....", or
"If you would be so good as to sign here...."

McT

(Wot, no peeves today?)
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
Sorry,

Actually, I meant to say "will" instead of "would" in polite requests. Otherwise, I contradicted myself.

Thanks,

Andy
0 Replies