Using "will" for persistent habit.

M56

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:26 pm
Using "will" for persistent habit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my variant of English, "will" (non-future use) is used to talk about a persistent habit or characterstic behaviour. Can you do that in your variant?

Examples:

He will bite his nails so.

If you will keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.

She'll just sit there for hours staring into space.

The difference is, wild rats will kill and eat a mouse, starting with its liver first, a domesticated rat will kill a mouse and start eating it brain first.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 26
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:49 am
I'd say that this structural aspect is used in all dialects of English, M56.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
JTT wrote:
I'd say that this structural aspect is used in all dialects of English, M56.

It seems that many users of the American Standard dialect don't like or use "will" in that way.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
That conditional use of "will" is a wee bit old fashioned.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
I didn't realize there were such dietary discrepancies between wild and domesticated rats!
0 Replies

M56

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:44 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
That conditional use of "will" is a wee bit old fashioned.

In which variant?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:24 pm
Particularly for the nags and nail biters.

The contraction passes....

As for the rats, the usage isn't really conditional.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:02 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Particularly for the nags and nail biters.

The contraction passes....

As for the rats, the usage isn't really conditional.

Are you saying that you would contract "will" here?

If you will keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
M56--

As I remarked earlier, this use of "will" is correct, but old fashioned.

I can't understand what sort of answer you're angling for.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:25 am
Noddy24 wrote:
M56--

I'm not angling for anything that you cannot provide. In my variant, the use of "will", in such a context, is not at all old-fashioned, so your comment doesn't hold water. It may be old-fashioned in the variants you are familiar with, but not in mine.

Even here, it is only a matter of formal register and genre that makes it sound odd to some people:

"It is the Holy Bible and if you will turn to Proverbs 22:29, the following quotation will..."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:39 am
M56 wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:
M56--

I'm not angling for anything that you cannot provide. In my variant, the use of "will", in such a context, is not at all old-fashioned, so your comment doesn't hold water. It may be old-fashioned in the variants you are familiar with, but not in mine.

Even here, it is only a matter of formal register and genre that makes it sound odd to some people:

A) "It is the Holy Bible and if you will turn to Proverbs 22:29, the following quotation will..."

M56 wrote: Are you saying that you would contract "will" here?

B) If you will keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.

I think, M56, that you're drawing too wide a brush stroke here wrt 'will' + 'if'. The meanings in the two sentences [I've marked them A) & B)], are not the same.

All dialects of English use 'If S will' when 'will' has a volitional meaning, ie. "are you willing to?/If you're willing to.", so A) is completely natural.

In B), that same volition is not present. In fact, it's rather uncommon to use "If + will" in all dialects except for the volitional meaning.

Quote:

M-W online:
2 : the power of choosing or determining : WILL

But I still think B) is possible though, as Noddy says, "it's a wee bit funny". I contend that the much more common collocation is, "If + present simple", ie.

A1) If you keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:21 am
JTT wrote:
In B), that same volition is not present. In fact, it's rather uncommon to use "If + will" in all dialects except for the volitional meaning.

Quote:

Yes, there are some doalects which do not use "will" for persistent habit or personal characteristics. Mine, BrEng, does use it in that way though.

<M-W online:r
2 : the power of choosing or determining : WILL>

Yes, but...

1. Used to indicate simple futurity: They will appear later. 2. Used to indicate likelihood or certainty: You will regret this. 3. Used to indicate willingness: Will you help me with this package? 4. Used to indicate requirement or command: You will report to me afterward. 5. Used to indicate intention: I will too if I feel like it. 6. Used to indicate customary or habitual action: People will talk. 7. Used to indicate capacity or ability: This metal will not crack under heavy pressure. 8. Used to indicate probability or expectation: That will be the messenger ringing.

<A1) If you keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.>

I know, but I can use both that one and this: "If you will keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves." in my variant of English.

For speakers of my variant, the addition of "will" shows emphasis in the insistence of the person spoken to/about. That's just the way it is.

Synonymous would be:

If you insist on nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:22 pm
M56 wrote:

Yes, but...

6. Used to indicate customary or habitual action: People will talk.

<A1) If you keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.>

I know, but I can use both that one and this: "If you will keep nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves." in my variant of English.

For speakers of my variant, the addition of "will" shows emphasis in the insistence of the person spoken to/about. That's just the way it is.

Synonymous would be:

If you insist on nagging him, it's no wonder he gets up and leaves.

I agree with you on the emphatic aspect, M56 and I'm quite sure I noted that agreement in my last posting. But I'd say, that "If S will" is not the normal or usual collocation in any dialect of English. Would you agree on that?
0 Replies

M56

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
JTT wrote:

I agree with you on the emphatic aspect, M56 and I'm quite sure I noted that agreement in my last posting. But I'd say, that "If S will" is not the normal or usual collocation in any dialect of English. Would you agree on that?

Not sure what you mean by the normal collocation. Quite a few dialects of English have the construction "If S will...". If yours doesn't, that may be the reason you cannot readily recognise it.

Google: 87,900,000 English pages for "if * will".

Part of a BNC search:

1 IF HE WILL 515 5.15
2 IF YOU WILL 239 2.39
3 IF THEY WILL 53 0.53
4 IF IT WILL 53 0.53
5 IF SHE WILL 31 0.31
6 IF I WILL 21 0.21
7 IF THAT WILL 18 0.18
8 IF WE WILL 17 0.17
9 IF ANYONE WILL 8 0.08
*13 IF ANY WILL 4 0.04
14 IF PEOPLE WILL 4 0.04
15 IF THESE WILL 3 0.03
16 IF SOMEONE WILL 3 0.03
17 IF SOMEBODY WILL 3 0.03
18 IF ANYBODY WILL 3 0.03
20 IF BONNIE WILL 2 0.02
21 IF DADDY WILL 2 0.02
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm
M56 wrote:
JTT wrote:

Not sure what you mean by the normal collocation. Quite a few dialects of English have the construction "If S will...". If yours doesn't, that may be the reason you cannot readily recognise it.

Google: 87,900,000 English pages for "if * will".

You have to compare apples to apples, M56. Maybe this will show what I meant by "normal". For example, let's google, using "with exact phrase", "If you will keep" versus "If you keep".

Results 1 - 10 of about 30,400 English pages for "if you will keep".

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,550,000 English pages for "if you keep".

Discounting the "errant" possibilities, the numbers illustrate which is the normal neutral collocation. Departures from normal neutral collocations often occur to create a different nuance or in this case, as you mentioned, a more emphatic sentence.

"I'm JTT." would be a normal neutral, while "I am JTT", a departure from the normal neitral, could nuance a number of things depending on intonation, context, delivery, body language, etc.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:31 am
If you will all now take your places, we can begin.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:42 am
McTag wrote:
If you will all now take your places, we can begin.

If you will only listen to me...

:wink:
0 Replies

Director DJ

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
M56 & McTag ~ In both your sentences, I feel it would be more natural to substitute 'would' for 'will'. Id est:

McTag: If you WOULD all now take your places, we can begin.

M56: If you WOULD only listen to me...

What do each of you think?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:31 pm
Well a fine distinction, which JTT could describe I'm sure, but I think for practical purposes they're the same.

I think the version with "will" is more of a command- "Sit down, you lot!"

"Would" implies they have more of a choice in the matter.
0 Replies

M56

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:28 am
Director DJ wrote:
M56 & McTag ~ In both your sentences, I feel it would be more natural to substitute 'would' for 'will'. Id est:

McTag: If you WOULD all now take your places, we can begin.

M56: If you WOULD only listen to me...

What do each of you think?

I think it depends on the group you are addressing and your relationship with them.

Diplomat to diplomats:

If you WOULD all now take your places, we can begin.

Headmaster to students:

If you WILL all now take your places, we can begin.

Would = more distant social relation.
0 Replies