Comedian Richard Pryor Dies at 65
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 987 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Sad, CI. Blueveined has another thread on it. I haven't met many people who did not like him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:29 pm
dammit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:30 pm
I believe Pryor was ahead of his time, but he was very knowledgeable about the black condition in the US - and he was funny!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:22 pm
may he rest in peace
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:22 pm
Loadsa people are gonna shed tears for this clown.RIP
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:23 am
Pryor was among the first African-Americans to bring a a sense of the irony of being black in America to a larger audience. His stand-up routines were nothing if not poignant. And he was a damn' fine comic actor, to boot. May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
I hope his passing was peacefull and he had a feeling of fullfillment in / and because of his life.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:07 am
I was wondering about that, shewolfnm, whether he'd ever found happiness. You know that his life was rife with troubles, mostly self-induced, like he couldn't get out of his own way, and I wondered if he had ever laughed like he made us laugh?
There's a boxset for sale of all of the albums he did at Warner Bros. It's about seventy bucks. I'd put off ordering it but now's the time. It'll make a fine Christmas present for my brother and his wife.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:19 am
You would hope, that one who has come from such ****... for lack of better terms...
has learned to live with, appreciate, and learn from lifes lessons as they were delt.

you would also think that one in hispostion would be ABLE to look back and see what all he has done and that the feeling of fullfillment would be automatic.
Not many people can make a movie about their drug use, laugh at themselves and move on in thier career as completely as he did.
I hope satisfaction is an understatement for how he felt about his life.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:50 am
But then, just as he was at a point where he may have found that fulfillment, he was struck with MS. That's the sad part.

I want to rejoice at his genius and having witnessed it but the realities of his life keeps getting in the way of that.

In time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
Pryor had an amazing life when considered from his background; and how that translated into his genius later on was even more amazing. My ears were a bit sensitive to his use of four letter words, but I was able to see through that to enjoy the message and wit. I know he'll be missed by many. I still watch that movie over and over with Gene Wilder whenever I get the opportunity. They were a good match. That scene where he convinces Wilder to put polish on his face was classic.
0 Replies