A Genius Checks Out

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:48 pm
Yes.I agree.He was infinitely more important that those kids in Africa.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
Alaways one.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:24 am
I agree that Richard Pryor was one of a kind. His comedy came from his own life's pain, but he turned it into something others could laugh about. He had his own voice. No one else sounded like Pryor.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:52 am
spendius, I'm cuious...why the funky attitude about our mourning Pryor's death?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
dyslexia wrote:
at least he wasn't lynched.

Can you please 'splain what you mean?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:07 am
eoe, spendius is always funky.

snood, that's just dys' way of being wry, bro. Always look at his remarks and then think the opposite. <smile>
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:56 pm
Letty wrote:
eoe, spendius is always funky.

snood, that's just dys' way of being wry, bro. Always look at his remarks and then think the opposite. <smile>

Letty -
Why are you speaking for Spendius and Dys?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:04 pm
because I know their style, snood.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:34 pm
He was funny, and he could do that stuff forever.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:03 pm
I remember my dad showing me a joke when I was a kid. He lit a match, then "walked" it, and said "what's this....Richard Pryor running down the street."

I don't even really know the story about how he caught on fire.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:06 pm
I saw him interviewed on tv. He said he did it on purpose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:16 pm
I'm not quite sure I believe that. Maybe, in that drugged impulsive way.

I think he describes it on one of his live in concert tapes. (what are they, dvds by now?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:57 pm
Yes, he does describe it. I think it's in the one called "Still Smokin'". I'm not totally sure about that though. He actually does that joke that Slappy mentioned too.

I can't remember the exact details of his description, but somehow, while he was freebasing, something exploded and he caught fire.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:03 pm
Exactly. The story was he was free-basing and got careless with the matches. Freaks me out that he was actually younger than I am when he died.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:10 pm
From Wickipedia

On June 1, 1980, Pryor set himself on fire while freebasing cocaine. Pryor made this part of his heralded "final" stand up show "Richard Pryor Live On Sunset Strip" (1982). After joking that the incident was actually caused when he dunked a cookie into a glass containing two different types of milk, he gave a poignant yet both funny and serious account of his accident and recovery, then poked fun at people who told jokes about it by waving a lit match and saying "What's this? It's Richard Pryor running down the street." Interviewed in 2005, Jennifer Lee Pryor said that Richard poured high-proof rum over his body and torched himself in a drug psychosis. In a TV interview during his recovery Pryor said that he tried to commit suicide.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:40 pm
Ah. That's all new to me. Poor tyke. I will miss him. He has been part of our eyes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
He was an artist....a performance artist.
0 Replies