Name your choice of 5 inventions most benefiting humanity

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:38 am
What, in your opinion, are the 5 most important inventions (not discoveries) that have benefited human kind the most in human history?
Be sure to avoid naming discoveries of natural elements. I'm asking about human inventions. You may want to list your choices in the order of their importance and state your reasons for citing them.

If you tell me your choices, I will tell you mine.

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,390 • Replies: 98
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:41 am
Computers
Telephone
Radio
Steam Engine
Sewing Machine
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:48 am
wheel
printing press
vessel
electric motor
pasteurization
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:48 am
Joanne's list
Humn, Joanne, but your list of conveniences are not among those on my list.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:50 am
Oh so sorry BBB, well know fbaezer and I have told you our's do we get any hints about your's.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:50 am
fbaezer's list
fbaezer, one invention on your list is also one of mine. Can you guess which one?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:05 am
The Electric Light Bulb - and those items that made it possible for us to harness power

The Telephone / The Radio - the beginnings of communication which led to computers, movies, video, the internet, etc.

Medical Instruments / Medicines - without which we would all be living to a ripe old age of 40 or thereabouts

School / Organized Education - the sharing of information on a variety of subjects and the need to improve and learn more

Religion - because I believe it is man-made and an excellent way to control human behavior. On the other hand, not sure this is as beneficial since it is quite often used to our detriment.

All of the above in no order of importance ...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:13 am
Heeven's list
Heeven, one of your invention choices is in a general category with which I'm in agreement, but not the specific invention on my list. Can you guess which one.

Thanks for including your choice reasons.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:22 am
Heeven, I saw a toy at the WalMart the other day that looked just like you.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:23 am
Penicillin
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:32 am
Joanne's list
Joanne, I find it interesting that the first invention on my list is also contained in your "mantra" at the end of each of your posts. Can you find it?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:59 pm
bbb, you MUST have put the printing press on your list.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:08 pm
Wheel; electric current generator; radio/TV; computer; nuclear weapons.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:14 pm
fbaezer: The printing press
fbaezer, you are right. The printing press is #4 on my invention list. The printing press (first invented by the Chinese) followed by Johann Gutenberg's commercially successful printing press. (I had a collector friend who had one page of an illuminated Gutenberg Bible - it was beautiful and still in remarkable condition.)

The explosion of knowledge and education across the known world at that time had a major and lasting impact on humanity. It made education available and affordable outside of the confines of the Church and Royalty and spread to the common people. It's timing following the great bubonic plague provided the depleted working classes the knowledge to gain an improved social and economic lower middle class stature, which has lasted until today. It made the Reformation possible. If only it had made a similar reformation impact in Muslim countries, things might be different today.

-----BumbleBeeBoogie

http://fecha.org/gutenbergbio.html
Johann Gutenberg - c.1397-1468
The Invention Of The Printing Press

No other event in the history of humans has influenced them more than the invention of the printing press constructed by Gutenberg. The ways in which the printing press affected the growth and development of the human race are almost to numerable to count.

Johann Gutenberg is believed to have been born in the German city of Mainz in the year 1400. Only thirty documents give accurate accounts of his life and of these there are only three which refer to printing. Gutenberg worked as a goldsmith and gem cutter as a young man and had learned about metallurgy.

Gutenberg first designed type that would space evenly on a page and also look pleasing to the eye. His first type was cast of the metals lead, antimony, and tin and consisted of two-hundred and ninety separate symbols.

Gutenberg also had to find an ink that would not fade or be to thick and came up with the combination of boiled linseed oil and soot. Gutenberg adapted a wine press for printing that was waste high and had a rolling tray so that he could slide the paper in and out. The press would also enable him to also squeeze water out of the damp paper while printing at the same time. The Gutenberg Bible, printed in 1455, was the first Bible ever printed and the first book ever printed in Europe. Gutenberg printed two-hundred copies of this book which was known as a 36-line Bible for the number of lines that were on each page.

Gutenberg's invention sparked many religious revolutions with his invention that allowed the common man to posses a Bible for his own interpretation. The printing press allowed knowledge and ideas to be passed from one man to the other and paved the way for schools and media.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:18 pm
steissd, could you please explain why do you think atomic weapons benefit humanity? Is it because you consider mutual assured destruction a good deterrent? I don't get it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:19 pm
Steissd's list
Oh my, Stessid, none of your inventions are on my list.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:55 pm
JD - I saw a woman who resembled me! I was at a meeting and she sat across from me. I couldn't take my eyes off her face because I couldn't get over how emu'ish she looked!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:56 pm
BBB - did you select a TV for your list?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 03:05 pm
Off the top of my head (which isn't that reliable): 1. Wheel, 2. Electricity, 3. Telephone, 4. Engine, 5. Boat
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 03:05 pm
Fbaezer wrote:
steissd, could you please explain why do you think atomic weapons benefit humanity? Is it because you consider mutual assured destruction a good deterrent? I don't get it.

I get it, on the contrary. Absence of war of the main superpowers, USSR and USA, for more than 40 years proves this.
0 Replies