Eczema? Or dry winter skin?

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Little Bean had a red patch on her cheek about 2-3 weeks ago. Dry skin, slightly tinted, and warm to the touch.
She fell off the couch while playing and I thought it was just a bit of 'rug burn'. It went away on its own soon after.

Well, now its back. Bigger, redder and much more dry then it was.
I have an appointment for her on tuesday, but Im concerned NOW because it seems to get a bit bigger every day.

I almost want to put some lotion on it, but if it is eczema, that could irritate it.. I think?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3130/mvc002s4jh.jpg

There are no sores as eczema is known to produce. No deep cracks in her skin and it doesn't bleed. She doesn't scratch at it so Im not sure if it itches her or not...
It seems, all you have to do is touch it, and it gets bigger.
She has not been out at any parks lately.. too cold.. so I don't think it is something like poison ivy..

I have heard of babies having yeast infections... and I have seen topical yeast infections as well.. I guess, I could describe it as such.

This is a picture of a baby with eczema in the same places as Bean-

Im really not sure what to make of this..
Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,240 • Replies: 24
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
oops,

this should be in medical..
Sorry..

Im so used to anything that is about Bean to go in parenting..

Embarrassed
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:56 am
anyone?

anyone?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
Too common a problem to say. If you want to try something gentle use olive oil if the skin is peeling and a little buttermilk if it's just a rash. A dermatologist is the way to go.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:55 pm
her skin isnt peeling yet..
if it were to be scratched for a while.. or get just that much drier.. yeah. It would peel .

i never thought of using olive oil.
I have baby oil, but i know it is perfumed and that is a skin irritant as well.
I will try oliveoil instead.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
hmmm

these skin patches are on the backs of her arms now.

chicken pox???? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:35 pm
I found out in India , and this works, go get some slober from any local cow farm and apply it to the affected area. Immediate relief and complete symptomatic reclose recovery is immenante.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
will a goat do?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Could be an allergic reaction to something in the environment. Did you change laundry detergent recently. I still say have a doctor look at it. I don't think I can agree with cow slober solution.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
no laundry soap changes, no food changes, no cleaning solution changes, she hasnt been anywhere other then the kids museum for over a week due to the cold.

she is crying and scratching herself a bit now.
She didnt take but maybe a 45 minute nap because she was uncomfortable...
that is when I noticed her scratching more then ever.

Tuesday at 100 >sigh<
this appt cant come soon enough.

I am thinking about getting some Aveeno body lotion or body wash.

i put a little olive oil on her cheek and her arms but she is scratching still and is now scratching her rib cage..

it doesnt look like pox... but I know that pox can show up in a few diffrent forms.. I hope that isnt what it is..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
Tuesday is too far away. I doubt it's chicken pox, but the fact that it is spreading, it's uncomfortable and she is getting cranky is enough for a doctor to make a special appointment. Oh for the good old days of house calls.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:46 pm
We ended up taking Bean to the ER.
Frankly it looks like chicken pox..
but, I was right.
It is eczema.. and pretty bad.

With in 24 hours it went from her right cheek to the backs of her arms and inside her thighs by her knees.
She even has spots on her belly.

What I didnt know about eczema in children this young is that it starts out like small pimples.. slightly red ( like pox) ... BUT..instead of staying small and just getting redder, it spreads out and the skin dries out quickly.
The spots are about dime sized.. as some pox can be. Except for the one on her face, I was thinking pox pox pox!

>sigh<

I bought some Aveeno baby bath treatment, and some of their lotion.
The biggest problem is that the dry skin can crack and become infected.

poor bean.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
You can probably find Weleda Calendula Cream for children at your health food store or on line, it's good stuff. You might also want to give her bath in some water in which you've soaked some yellow dock and red clover (also found at the health food store or wildcraft it). A yellow dock tea is good, but the odds of her drinking it are null - it's a little bitter. At least it's not pox, it's horrible for a child that age to go through that, better to get it when she's a little older and tougher.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:10 pm
She drinks alot of herbal teas now.
she can drink a thin decoction of Valerian and not blink... but I also flavor it with Linden.. so Im sure that helps curb the awful taste.

But that little woman has taste buds of steel.

I will get her some yellow dock.. and Calendula cream.
We have a huge herbal store here in austin that carries almost anything that grows in the ground.

Couldnt live with out it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:54 pm
Have they isolated the cause of the eczema?

Mine is caused in part by exposure to plant materials. Herbal teas/honey/creams make it much worse. I can really only use plain Nivea and variations on Aveeno.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
No. not yet.
It is just a general diagnosis right now.
When we go see her regular doctor.. he will probally go into detail with us.

How did you find out the cause of yours?
Skin test?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:56 pm
Lots and lots of skin tests Evil or Very Mad

If hamburger had his computer up and running, we could ask mrs. hamburger for her input. She was a paediatric special care nurse - and was the one who had to cope with an itchy/scratchy babyehBeth.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:46 am
How do you treat it now?
Can you tell from the length of time between the onset of the dry patches .. what brought it on?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:57 am
I'm kinda like mac11, who posted on another thread about how many things she's allergic to. Last skin test, I tested positive to something in the order of 130 things.

Figuring out what starts an episode of eczema can be tricky as a result.

What I try to be most careful about for myself is any kind of product that might have pollen, so things like herbal teas/soaps/lotions/any product with honey - I stay away from.

I don't use any soaps on my face other than Ivory very occasionally. It's usually water only for my face. I tend to stick to very simple glycerin soaps, though I've found an Italian mint/milk soap that I can safely use in the shower. I can use most oatmeal-based skincare products. Nivea doesn't cause problems for me, though it has to be the original formulation - none of the newer range of products.

~~~~~~~~

As with all types of allergies, it often has to be a process of removing everything - and then adding things one at a time over very widely spaced intervals to see what causes a reaction.

i.e. using water only for washing for about 2 - 3 weeks - then adding an oatmeal product <i.e. Aveeno, and only one product from their line> - using only that for 2 or 3 weeks before adding another product. The same thing with foods.

I'd be very reluctant, because of my personal experience, to use any herbal tinctures - on my skin, or administered orally. They have tended to cause all sorts of weird reactions for me.

~~~~~~~~

Depending on the severity of the specific allergy, the time delay between exposure and a patch of eczema developing can range from literally minutes to weeks. I can't sit on a lawn directly - the backs of my legs will break out within about an hour. Someone mowing the lawn within about a quarter mile will cause sneezing/eye problems/breathing problems in less than 10 minutes. If I'm already having a reaction to something, exposure to another allergen can up the response very quickly.

~~~~~~~~

Stress is a big factor in eczema for a lot of people.

~~~~~~~~

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/skin_stuff/eczema.html

Quote:
People with eczema also may have asthma and certain allergies, such as hay fever. In some people with eczema, food allergies (such as allergies to cow's milk, soy, eggs, fish, or wheat) may bring on or worsen eczema. Allergies to animal dander, rough fabrics, and dust may also trigger the condition in some teens.

Quote:
Can I Prevent Eczema?
Eczema can't be cured, but there are plenty of things you can do to prevent a flare. For facial eczema, wash gently with a nondrying facial cleanser or soap substitute, use a facial moisturizer that says noncomedogenic/oil-free, and apply only hypoallergenic makeup and sunscreens. In addition, the following tips may help:

* Avoid triggers and substances that stress skin. Besides your known triggers, some things you may want to avoid include household cleaners, detergents, lotions, and harsh soaps.

* H20 is a no-no. Too much exposure to water can dry out your skin, so take short warm, not hot, showers and baths and wear gloves if your hands will be in water for long periods of time.

* Say yes to cotton. Clothes made of scratchy fabric like wool can irritate your skin. Cotton clothes are a better bet.

* Moisturize! An unfragranced moisturizer such as petroleum jelly will prevent your skin from becoming irritated and cracked.

* Don't scratch that itch. Even though it's difficult to resist, scratching your itch can worsen eczema and make it more difficult for the skin to heal because you can break the skin and bacteria can get in, causing an infection.

* Keep it cool. Sudden changes in temperature, sweating, and becoming overheated may cause your eczema to kick into action.

* Take your meds. Follow your doctor's or dermatologist's directions and take your medication as directed.

* Chill out. Stress can aggravate eczema, so try to relax.

Now, a weird thing is that exposure to sunlight can help clear things up - but you have to prevent over-heating at the same time that you're in the sun - because the over-heating can cause a flareup.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
Quote:
Causes and Risk Factors of Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
A person with eczema often has a history of allergic manifestations such as asthma or hay fever, or a family history of asthma, hay fever, or atopic dermatitis.

Eczema may be set off by extreme temperatures, stress, sweating, medication, clothing (especially wool or silk), grease, oils, soap and detergents, and environmental allergens.

Patients with eczema are also very susceptible to severe infections from certain viruses, for example, the herpes simplex virus that produces fever blisters and sores.

my allergies . org

Quote:
Treatment Return to top

Consult your health care provider for a diagnosis of eczema because it can be difficult to differentiate from other skin disorders. Treatment should be guided by the health care provider.

Treatment may vary depending on the appearance (stage) of the lesions -- acute "weeping" lesions, dry scaly lesions, or chronic dry, thickened lesions are each treated differently.

Anything that aggravates the symptoms should be avoided whenever possible, including any food allergens and irritants such as wool and lanolin.

Dry skin often makes the condition worse. When washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible and use less soap than usual. After bathing, it is important to trap the moisture in the skin by applying lubricating cream on the skin while it is damp. Temperature changes and stress may cause sweating and aggravate the condition.

Treatment of weeping lesions may include soothing moisturizers, mild soaps, or wet dressings.

Mild anti-itch lotions or topical corticosteroids (low potency) may soothe less severe or healing areas, or dry scaly lesions.

Chronic thickened areas may be treated with ointments or creams that contain tar compounds, corticosteroids (medium to very high potency), and ingredients that lubricate or soften the skin. Systemic corticosteroids may be prescribed to reduce inflammation in some severe cases.

The latest treatment for eczema is a class of skin medications called topical immunomodulators (TIMs). These medications are steroid-free. They include tacrolimus (Protopic) and pimecrolimus (Elidel). Studies have shown as high as an 80% success rate using these new medications.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000853.htm

<I'm having a weird flashback to being 5 years old and carrying a purse to kindergarten - as I had to carry my steroid medication and other allergy and eczema-related c**p with me Confused >

~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

a whole page of links of info from medlineplus

click
0 Replies