Illegal Immigrants and Health Care in the US

New Haven

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:15 am
It would be interesting to know how many workers in the Stock Yards are illegal immigrants.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 01:39 pm
New Haven wrote:
When you apply for any job ( mostly ), you have to show your SS card.

Many employers believe that, New Haven. Were someone to take issue with the policy, the employer would be in serious trouble. Again, this is from the Social Security Administration. INS does indeed require presentation of acceptable documents, and the SS Card is indeed one of the most common to be used. Still, US passport or the right document issued by INS is sufficient to prove identity and right to work.

By the way, while the employee may have driver license, Social Security Card, and US passport, the choice of which to present is entirely the employee's. The employer cannot demand another documents.

I sense that you are finding this to be contradictory. Congradulatons!
0 Replies

AaronAgassi

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 12:21 am
Let's deny desperate illegals heath care, so they can spread plague! What fun!
0 Replies

ange

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 11:49 am
I am a graduate social work student. I am thinking about writing a paper on illegal immigrants and health care for my social welfare policy course. At this point, I do not know a lot of information on how the system currently works. I have heard a lot of people talking about illegal immigrants accessing health care. However, I do not know exactly where I should go to start getting info for this paper. If anyone knows of any useful info out there on the web, or from their personal or work experience, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm
I know this thread was started almost a year ago, but I just discovered it. I have some strong feelings about health care. (Education too, but that's another matter.)

I agree with dagmaraka's comments. While basic health care is one thing, I don't believe anyone should be denied emergency care. To devalue the life of a human being by denying him or her emergency treatment because they are not insured is, if nothing else, morally wrong.

Health care costs are expensive. More so in the United States because it is a for profit system. I can't help wonder how much more affordable it would be if it wasn't all about the all mighty buck. I've read some articles about the costs to the taxpayers of illegal immigrants receiving American health care. Since American health care is for profit, I think these costs are somewhat inflated because of this. But I know there is no doubt a cost burden does exist, regardless of the profit factor.

New Haven wrote:
The ER visit is usually $100 upfront, initial.

Wow, where do you live? The American E.R. visit I had (for something not life-threatening, just very painful) cost $232 just to walk through the E.R. doors and this was at a "non-profit" hospital E.R.

Heeven wrote:
So, I'd be interested to know if illegal immigrants to other countries (outside of the U.S.) are entitled to medical care in those other countries? Anyone know?

In Canada you have to present your health care card anytime you access the system. (Usually not the case with your regular physician as they will have your number on file.) So I can see it being difficult for someone who doesn't possess a card to get access. However, in E.R. with a trauma situation or one where the person is not conscious, they wouldn't be looking for a health care card right off the bat. So I would imagine that it is likely similar here to what it is like in the U.S.A., although I don't really know.

I found this rather timely article about immigrants and E.R. treatment. There is a bill that has been introduced that would require E.R. staff to fingerprint or photograph anyone who doesn't answer "yes" to the question "are you a U.S. citizen?"
House Resolution 3722
One congressman doesn't think the bill will pass. It certainly isn't a good one. After all, illegal immigrants will say "yes" and what can anyone do, say "oh you're lying?" And I can almost guarantee that E.R. staff will not like the idea of having to do fingerprinting and photographing.

ehBeth wrote:
The problem for the Canadian system is the U.S. citizens who got illegal Canadian health cards at some point, and come over here for free medical treatment at the expense of the Canadian tax-payer. The estimates on the cost of the fraud by U.S. citizens to the Canadian medical/tax system is astonishing. Treatment for refugees and illegal immigrants here in Ontario don't cost us as much as U.S. citizens stealing treatment does.

Wow ehBeth! I had no idea! That REALLY bothers me. How do they crack down on this? It's one thing for someone from an impoverished nation to come here and obtain health care illegally, but when you have a citizen from one of the wealthiest nations in the world coming here for "cheap" health care, that is entirely repugnant.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:08 pm
Oh, ehBeth, if you read this, I have a Q for you. Did I read it right on a web page....you don't have to pay premiums out there in Ontario-land for health insurance?? *gets ready to pack her bags*
0 Replies

J-Dog

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
Immigration in US Hospitals
What's the point? Having illegal aliens come into the US with NO BUSINESS in being here, and the nerve to go to the health care facilities! That's the only place to go when you jump boarders and can't get any place, its bull.
0 Replies