Illegal Immigrants and Health Care in the US

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:47 am
Are US hospitals obligated to provide heatlh care to illegal immigrants?

"The American Hospital Association estimated that for 2000, the 24 southernmost counties from Texas to California accrued $832 million in unpaid medical care, a quarter of which was directly attributable to illegal immigrants".
( NYTimes 4/14/03 , page A-14 )

Moreover, due to the flood of nonpaying, illegal immigrants to many hospitals, coupled with severe supply and equipment shortages, the wait for intensive care beds can last several days and some ER patients can wait as long as 24 hours to see a doctor.

Is there a solution to this problem? What suggestions can you make?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,137 • Replies: 66
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:58 am
Hmm, how 'bout contacting the countries where these folks come from, and asking them (the countries) to help foot the bill? I know, I know, it's not feasible in all instances, but it may be in some. Might sound cruel, but medical care ain't free and these aren't our citizens. This might also help convince the other countries to try to stem the tide of outflowing immigration. Give an exception for legitimate asylum-seekers.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:04 am
Sounds like good ideas, to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:04 am
Agree- I think that the US at this point in time is stretched to the limit in terms of health care. We even have to recruit medical personnel from overseas.

I think that the time to be magnanimous with illegals needs to be over. We need to care for our citizens FIRST!
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:57 am
Interesting:

How does everyone feel about the fact that Bush intends not only to rebuild Iraq on our nickle, but also provide comprehensive health care for every Iraqi!

Meanwhile, 44 million Americans go without healthcare coverage at all!!
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:58 am
Halliburton has landed a 7 Billion Dollar contract in Iraq!!! Guess who is buying ... You only get one guess!!
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:12 am
Good points Think.

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
with conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus (1849-1887)

Maybe it's time to scrape this off of a certain Ellis island Lady?

A few less smart bombs could pay for alot of America's society ills.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 03:13 pm
If they are illegal then there is no way to track their movements, i.e. they have no social security number and do not pay taxes and so their wages cannot be garnished to pay back medical bills.

Certainly for general, non-emergency care, I think they should pay cash up front for medical care. For emergency situations what is the solution? An illegal is injured in a car accident, no ID, no-one with him to provide information, he is unconscious, in fact hospital staff would probably not even know he is an illegal immigrant. They would provide the necessary care automatically, because how could they not? At the point of recovery, should INS approach said illegal and have him prove his citizenship and if not a legal resident, arrest him and force him to work to pay off medical bills?

I don't think it is fair for anyone to have free anything off the backs of other people who pay more than their share. I feel the same about unemployment benefits. I believe that if people are unemployed (and are physically/mentally able) then they should lower their standards and get a job they would not ordinarily do, but get something to pay for their living expenses until they can get work that they find more suitable. I know if I lost my job tomorrow I am fully prepared to do anything (legal) to pay my rent and put food on my table. I am not so important that I could not sweep a floor, or clean a toilet. That is respectable work.

I would not dream of putting my hand out for something when I have a strong back and a brain and a little bit of pride.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:46 am
I suspect that visits to the ER will eventually be something like, pay-as-go. No one admitted to the ER who doesn't have either a debit car, credit card or insurance card. Likewise, all admittees must have a SS card.

(Don't leave home without one of these cards!)
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:39 am
So, what about the American citizens who are refused insurance because they are "uninsurable", and don't have $8,000. for an ER visit??

Tough Buggers ?? You just have to bleed to death??
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:04 am
as Richard Nixon said "fvck them"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:07 am
Good old Dickie!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:22 pm
The ER visit is usually $100 upfront, initial.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:32 pm
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:34 pm
We have to find a way to curb the influx of illegal immigrants into the US and we also have to find ways to insure all Americans.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:37 pm
New Haven wrote:
We have to find a way to curb the influx of illegal immigrants into the US...

I think, $1,000,000 (or more) of fine per every illegal immigrant caught working in some business may prove being efficient.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:03 pm
Steissd:

Yea, we can't have those illegals sucking up those minimum wage jobs Americans won't take anyway!! God forbid!! If you were a McDonalds Franchisor, and you had the choice between someone who can speak english, and someone who can't, who would you hire?? Don't strain too hard now!! American's today are "too good" for these jobs ... just ask them!!

By the way Steiss, have you ever tried to live in California on minimum wage, without having the service supporting you?? I was at a McDonalds the other day, and there was a beatup rustbucket of a car, which someone was onviouly living in! Real quality of life ... wouldn't you say!!

Anon
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:39 am
That's why young people and others are encouraged to get a college education or a technical skill.

What's to stop the hamburger cookers from learning a trade like plumbing?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:44 am
In the Boston area, we have a large group of immigrants delivering the newspapers in the morning. Many of the carriers do not read or speak English. Many do not know the numbers, either.

This does create problems for people, who subscribe to home delivery, who don't get their papers and who can't communicate with the paper carriers. This is a low wage job, but does pay a decent wage, considering that little skill or intelligence is needed.
Remember, that a few years ago, little kids ( age 8-15 years ) used to deliver the paper, either on foot or on their bikes. THese kids could read and speak English and moreover, did not complain about receiving a low (?) wage.

If the immigrants want higher paying jobs, what's to stop them. All they have to do is try. Likewise, many Americans have worked 3-4 jobs at once, just to pay home mortages and to put their kids through college. Do I hear someone crying for them?
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 12:08 pm
New Haven wrote:
That's why young people and others are encouraged to get a college education or a technical skill.

What's to stop the hamburger cookers from learning a trade like plumbing?

Oh, little things ... like opportunity to do so.

Trade schools aren't free, as a matter of fact, they can be very expensive. When you're working at minimum wage, you can get all obssessed in things like ... living quarters, eating, transportation to and from work ... you know, those things which come in front of trade school.

Another problem is actual job availability when they exit the trade schools. We aren't exactly great at creating new jobs right now. Matter of fact, I think the job market is down right now, what do you think??

Anon
0 Replies