Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
And how many years, months, days, minutes, seconds, again until you can kiss that job good-bye?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
Right at two years. Unless they run me off for being too old. Actually, I outperform the forty four year old and tywenty six year old who work under me. Not bragging, being factual.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:08 pm
Well, we should keep a running total here on this thread to keep the tension going. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
They're good guys, don't get me wrong. But I don't see either one stepping into my job when I leave.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:55 pm
Do you know the actual date that you'll possibly retire on?

We'll list it here for posterity and do a weekly countdown. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:03 pm
July 7, '08.
A bit over two years.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:16 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
July 7, '08.
A bit over two years.

July 7, 2008.

Right, we'll keep an eye on that date and try to make make it painless and swift! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:30 pm
A little over two years?

Edgar, you count like an optimist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
At my age, time flies. It will seem like today is only yesterday when I finally hang it up.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:39 pm
I can't even remember yesterday. Laughing
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
Edgar your story about the grease on the range reminded me of a similar situation.

I took out a dishwasher and saw a bunch of mouse droppings in the hole and on the unit. I told the customer that it looked like he had a mouse living back there and if he wanted to clean now would be the time.

The customer said adamantly that there has never been a mouse in his kitchen. To answer this my partner says to him "Well those aren't chocolate tic-tacs" and walked away.

There area was spotless by the time we brought the new unit in.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:12 pm
heehee,

Edgar, I'm reading along and wonder if you might consider setting yourself up as a handyman for hire. It's certainly something you could do on a part-time basis when you retire, but if you don't need insurance benefits from your current job, you might be able to do it sooner. You can control you own hours that way, and you'll learn quickly that you don't need every customer. Picking and choosing has it's advatages.

I'm not retired but my employees are. We were all in the same department at the large company I used to work for. I was the section manager and left when my first child was born. A couple years later I started a company doing the same work I used to do, but on a consulting basis. One by one as my former department mates took retirement (some took an early retirement option offered by the company) they came to work for me. We are now all back together with the exception of one person. We all work part-time, are home based, and although I can't offer them insurance coverage, they have their own coverage through medicare or through their spouses. I pay them more than what they used to make and we've been doing this for almost 13 years. My oldest employee is 72 and only works summers because she goes to FL for the winter. There are many flexible part-time options and I think someone with your skill set would find plenty of work to do.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:17 pm
J_B wrote:
Edgar, I'm reading along and wonder if you might consider setting yourself up as a handyman for hire. It's certainly something you could do on a part-time basis when you retire, but if you don't need insurance benefits from your current job, you might be able to do it sooner. You can control you own hours that way, and you'll learn quickly that you don't need every customer. Picking and choosing has it's advatages.

Actually, I think JB has a pretty good idea here. You could freelance. There's always folks who need the odd job done here and there at a competitive price.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:25 pm
Actually, I did freelance before I took this job. One might say, I ended up with this job because of the freelancing. Seems I am not a persuasive salesman. I let them hold me to the lowest dollar and often ended breaking even, because I would not walk away when the money didn't pan out.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
I hear you, Edgar. That's where the part about not needing every customer comes in. Still, its something you might consider as a side line once you retire. You could restrict your availability to only those jobs that don't take too much out of you. Maybe have a list of the things you enjoy most and post it at the grocery stores.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
A friend is buying up A/C equipment. He says he and I ought to do that as a sideline, once I retire. He knows the work very well, but I am the only one with a license. I've told him to get that license and have even supplied the tapes and literature. He's somewhat dyslexic and probably afraid he can't pass it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:53 pm
I've thought about a night watch job, but those twelve hour shifts of doing virtually nothing can't be good for the heart.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:10 pm
I'll have done 20 in the Army in 4 years, 6 months.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:44 am
Snood
I would have retired in 1982, had I stayed in the service.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Edgar
Edgar, an excellent source of free lance work is to contact real estate agency owners and get on their list of handymen and do their repairs on houses being sold for them. In some cases, you just do the repair and are paid. In other cases, you will have to make a bid and may not get the job.

That's how I met my own contractor who takes care of my house and we have become friends.

BBB
0 Replies