Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:20 pm
I've never owned a cell phone. My wife does, and I definitely want her to carry it when she's not home. I've noticed more and more that people want to hang on those things during working hours. One of my helpers likes to play little games on his.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:41 pm
Well, I don't have my own phone. They're a good idea, if used at the appropriate time and place. It's just that many don't do that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:58 pm
Just in the past year it shows signs of getting out of control. We've become a nation of childish timewasters in many respects.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:45 pm
You won't get an arguement out of me for that.

Of course, I don't consider my time here, for example, to be as such. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:55 am
"D" Day, dude. Congrats.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 04:58 pm
Why I want to retire, example #331:

The people in one of the apartments complained that their hot water tank doesn't stay hot long enough, despite the 40 gallon capacity. The thermostat was a preset, nonadjustable kind. I flushed the tank out, taking my time and doing a thorough, neat job. After I put it back together, I double checked to make certain it was working properly.

Next day, the woman resident's son calls the office, madder than hell. "Can't take a shower! Cold water! Fix before the holiday week end (itwas three thirty PM, Friday)!" I went down and found the reset button had popped out. It only took a few minutes to replace the upper and lower thermostats, but it is discouraging to one's morale to get yelled at after making every effort to do good.

Seems lately, more of the residents are like that; selfish and demanding. I had to make numerous visits one old guy's home because his ice cream was never the exact firmness he wanted. It was a brand new refridge, too. He finally complained, I just can't live with that refrigerator. My ice cream has to be just right." As it happened, I had just bought a refrigerator for a different apartment, a different brand, even. So I swapped with the old guy and that solved his problem.

I have always liked my job, but the negativity I run into anymore makes me want to get it over with and move on.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
"D" Day, dude. Congrats.

Sorry, missed you're thanks here.

Thanks for that! :wink: Laughing

I've been feeling rather laid back.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:05 pm
I hear ya on the complaints side. Some folks are never happy. the slightest inconvenience throws them into the deep end.

I wonder how they would have made out in Louisianna during Katrina?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
Off to work. Got a hot water tank to replace. Apparently, draining the old one did something to the heating elements. It works a few hours, then pops off the thermostat. All things considered, this particular tank should be removed rather than further repared. It's just old enough to make me wary of replacing the elements.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
Why I want to retire, example # 42.

I have two helpers. As long as they have been there, they take up 40% of my working time, time I need for getting stuff of my own done. The one I share the after hours pager duty with calls me every time he has to go. Last night he woke me up at two o'clock. A woman had called for an ambulance. They came and bludgeoned her door open, leaving it to the helper to secure the apartment. Why call me? All I could tell him is what he should already know; do a makeshift repair that keeps it safe until morning. Why wake me for that? I'm getting grouchy in my old age, I guess.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
He sounds like a complete buffoon. Can he piss in a pot without you, or does he have to call you for that, too? Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
He eats dinner with no trouble and reads the clock real well.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
Why I want to retire, example # 42.

I have two helpers. As long as they have been there, they take up 40% of my working time, time I need for getting stuff of my own done. The one I share the after hours pager duty with calls me every time he has to go. Last night he woke me up at two o'clock. A woman had called for an ambulance. They came and bludgeoned her door open, leaving it to the helper to secure the apartment. Why call me? All I could tell him is what he should already know; do a makeshift repair that keeps it safe until morning. Why wake me for that? I'm getting grouchy in my old age, I guess.

Some people are afraid to make decisions on their own because they have been critisized when they have. Do your helpers have strict instructions re what they can do on their own without getting your prior approval?

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:49 am
They work jobs that require self supervision most of the time, as no one has time to coddle and baby them. It's a production oriented situation with a too small staff. Anyone unable to carry their own load eventually must leave. I try to impress that on them. The owner of the property is intolerant of those who aren't self starters.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
That is annoying. I have had a lot of helpers that would just watch me work until I told them what to do and even then they would be back to ask obvious questions.

"The water line is kinked should I replace it?"

I don't think its old age thats making you grouchy its the ineptitude of your colleagues.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:21 pm
And congrats on your upcoming retirement, I only have another 30 years to go give or take.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
sublime1 wrote:
And congrats on your upcoming retirement, I only have another 30 years to go give or take.

hehe, I seem to remember he still had a couple of years to go.

Not like some of us! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:43 pm
I should have read from the beginning, he is still a hell of a lot closer than I am.

Thats nice of you to rub it in Reyn, real nice.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
Johnboy does tend to ramble. Feel free to skip this.

I reckon a lot depends on how much, or how little, you enjoy your job and your work environment. I will turn 60 this year. I run a small chain of art supply stores (four of them in three different cities). 32 employees. Some of them, in the branch stores, I have never actually met. It sounds a bit weird but is has always been my style to give my managers and staffers room to innovate---move stuff around if they think it might work better. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't work better. Many of these folks are young; often working for me is their first job, and eventually they move on for one reason or another. But some of them stay for quite awhile. I just pulled a file folder out of my desk with payroll stuff.--we use an outside processor that we have used for about eight years. The newest person is employee #223. The longest ones here are #3, 7, 40, 41 and 42. The people that hang around are integral to what I call "institutional memory." We do this a certain way because it works. We tried doing it a different way five years ago and it didn't work. And the longer lasting employees teach the newer ones how to work according to the standards of the company. It is a system that has served me well for 30 years in this racket. Enough already about management. Sorry for the diversion.
But it is a gas when someone comes in and says "Remember me -- I worked for you in 19__?"
So I enjoy going to the store everyday because I like the folks that I work with. They are fun to be with. I can still help unload the trucks that come in although the boxes do seem to weigh more than they used to.
How long will I keep doing this (self employment) thing? I don't know. I own the real estate where our flagship store is located and it has turned out to be prime property. The offers so far have been good, but not enough to knock my socks off. In due course, one will come along...

Finally, my older brother by four years died last Monday, So the issue of mortality hit home with me. He got his first job at 14, picking apples, and worked for 50 years in several occupations. And then he died.

Sorry for the long post, edgar, I came in here with the intention of doing a bookmark!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:09 pm
Good post, johnboy.
The employee I have been writing about is a good guy and I like him. But, he does not like being a self starter. He's about twenty six, with a family.

I don't follow people around hollering at them. If they make a mistake, I point out what is to be learned here and get on with business, rather than accuse and lay blame.

If they obviously don't care about the job, I withdraw my protection as supervisor from them and the manager is able to see the situation and make the proper call.

So far, this guy is not on any hit list. I really want him to do well here.
0 Replies