What Will We Have Won?

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I keep hearing that we will win in Iraq... so.... when the dust settles what will we have won? Peace? Does anyone really believe that? Has there ever been a time in the recorded history of the world that there wasn't a war going on somewhere?

What will we have to hold in our hands as proof of victory?

Any ideas?

Brandon9000 wrote:
the thread title is "What Will We Have Won."

I answered this question clearly, and unambiguously, whether you choose to acknowledge my words or not. What we will have won is a transition from uncertainty about whether an evil dictator in Iraq still has doomsday weapons and development programs to certainty that that is not the case.

You want to discuss certainty vs. uncertainty in a thread about what was "won" in Iraq. You can't possibly believe that certainty or stability has become the status quo since the US led invasion.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Stating it's from a template is irrelevant. The only relevant analysis is whether I'm correct or incorrect. He asked what we will have won and I mentioned something significant and worthwhile.

....and I believe that you are incorrect due to the fact that you refer to your response template rather than referring to anything rational, logical, factual, measurable, empirical or otherwise.
That we can predict with 100% accuracy what your respose will be vis a vis the Iraq conflict is not (as Bush and his handlers would defend) a virtue, it's illustrative of selective acceptance of current events and inticates severe philosophical impediment.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
candidone1 wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I keep hearing that we will win in Iraq... so.... when the dust settles what will we have won? Peace? Does anyone really believe that? Has there ever been a time in the recorded history of the world that there wasn't a war going on somewhere?

What will we have to hold in our hands as proof of victory?

Any ideas?

Brandon9000 wrote:
the thread title is "What Will We Have Won."

I answered this question clearly, and unambiguously, whether you choose to acknowledge my words or not. What we will have won is a transition from uncertainty about whether an evil dictator in Iraq still has doomsday weapons and development programs to certainty that that is not the case.

You want to discuss certainty vs. uncertainty in a thread about what was "won" in Iraq. You can't possibly believe that certainty or stability has become the status quo since the US led invasion.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Stating it's from a template is irrelevant. The only relevant analysis is whether I'm correct or incorrect. He asked what we will have won and I mentioned something significant and worthwhile.

....and I believe that you are incorrect due to the fact that you refer to your response template rather than referring to anything rational, logical, factual, measurable, empirical or otherwise.
That we can predict with 100% accuracy what your respose will be vis a vis the Iraq conflict is not (as Bush and his handlers would defend) a virtue, it's illustrative of selective acceptance of current events and inticates severe philosophical impediment.

My personal merits or demerits are irrelevant and can't be used to discredit my ideas, no matter how much you wish to avoid debating my ideas themselves. My assertion is that prior to the invasion, there was a very real possibility that Hussein had not destroyed all WMD or WMD development programs, and now there is no possibility of that. It is a very significant benefit to know that one dictator/country at least will not be amassing doomsday weapons. Now either debate the idea itself or concede defeat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
There was no possibility of WMDs in Iraq at the time of the attack. This was becoming more and more apparent in the weeks before Bush charged ahead. Iraq was cooperating with the inspectors until Bush told them to get out so he could shock and awe the nation into submission. Bush and his supporters were the only ones on Earth unable to see how stupid that was.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
Here is an Atlantic Monthly article on the thread's subject.
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200512/iraq-withdrawal
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There was no possibility of WMDs in Iraq at the time of the attack.

I absolutely dispute this, since he had had these things and had a long history of non-cooperation with inspectors. Please support your assertion with an argument, not a link.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
The link is not in reply to you, but blueveinedthingamabob.

Anybody watching the news during the months preceding the attack had ample opportunity to see that what I said is true. If the Bush people said, the WMDs are in such and such place in Iraq, the inspectors were allowed to go there and search to their hearts content, until Bush said get those inspectors out of there. It was on all the news channels. Surprised you didn't notice.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

My personal merits or demerits are irrelevant and can't be used to discredit my ideas, no matter how much you wish to avoid debating my ideas themselves.

But my dear firend, it is you precious "ideas" (or, "idea") that I am attmpting to discredit.
That you and this current administration believe that there was a real possibility that Hussein had WMD was based on a prejudiced and biased response to any such questions he could have come up with vis a vis WMD.
A flawed premise simply can not result in a valid conclusion.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Now either debate the idea itself or concede defeat.

This is not a thread in which I am attempting to emerge victorious Brandon. It is aparent to me and everyone on this board that your mantra has been well rehersed and propaganda has become true belief.
The loser is not going to be me, for it is you who fails on every occasion to be bothered by any facts on the matter.
I do not lose anything when that happens.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

My personal merits or demerits are irrelevant and can't be used to discredit my ideas, no matter how much you wish to avoid debating my ideas themselves.

But my dear firend, it is you precious "ideas" (or, "idea") that I am attmpting to discredit.
That you and this current administration believe that there was a real possibility that Hussein had WMD was based on a prejudiced and biased response to any such questions he could have come up with vis a vis WMD.
A flawed premise simply can not result in a valid conclusion.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Now either debate the idea itself or concede defeat.

This is not a thread in which I am attempting to emerge victorious Brandon. It is aparent to me and everyone on this board that your mantra has been well rehersed and propaganda has become true belief.
The loser is not going to be me, for it is you who fails on every occasion to be bothered by any facts on the matter.
I do not lose anything when that happens.

I certainly do assert that he might have still had WMD and development programs at the time of the invasion. If you believe that this is false, then please give a reason, or, indeed, no matter what rationalization you use, you will have lost the argument, whether you think you are competing or not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
Brandon, you are out of it. I have nothing more to say directly to you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:08 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon, you are out of it. I have nothing more to say directly to you.

Of course you don't. I'm not surprised. You make a clear and simple assertion:

edgarblythe wrote:
There was no possibility of WMDs in Iraq at the time of the attack.

...and when asked to support it with an argument, storm off in a huff, declaring that your debating opponent is not worth answering. Odd behavior for someone "in the right" on a forum where debate is the norm. If you post a challenge to my idea, but refuse to support it with evidence or an argument, then you lose.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:13 pm
I didn't storm off in a huff. I see the rigidity of your statements to others. You leave no room for discussion. I will always be here, just not going to wrangle endlessly while you say the same thing over and over and then accuse others of not wanting a discussion.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I certainly do assert that he might have still had WMD and development programs at the time of the invasion. If you believe that this is false, then please give a reason, or, indeed, no matter what rationalization you use, you will have lost the argument, whether you think you are competing or not.[/b]

You wonder why no one wants to debate anything with you.
You claim that they storm off in huff, yet leave no room for rational debate.
You're so hung up on emerging victorious and are so steadfast in maintaining the validity of proven falshoods that no amount of logic and no mountain of facts will suffice.
I too have no time to discuss any such matters with any such individual.

Edgar, check your pm.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:00 pm
won?

the oil.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:10 pm
What oil?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:08 pm
candidone1 wrote:
What oil?

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2178rank.html
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:05 pm
Oh, that oil.
The pipleline is nearly complete is it not?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:12 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I said that by invading we gained certainty that Iraq had no WMD.

So, what did that get us? Because we invaded we got assurance of something? When the whole time Iraq was never a threat to us even if they did have WMDs... It just makes no sense... The average Joe on the street knew Iraq wasn't a threat to the United States. Even if they did have WMD's, they could never have delivered, and that was common knowledge before the war.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:16 am
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I certainly do assert that he might have still had WMD and development programs at the time of the invasion. If you believe that this is false, then please give a reason, or, indeed, no matter what rationalization you use, you will have lost the argument, whether you think you are competing or not.[/b]

You wonder why no one wants to debate anything with you.
You claim that they storm off in huff, yet leave no room for rational debate.
You're so hung up on emerging victorious and are so steadfast in maintaining the validity of proven falshoods that no amount of logic and no mountain of facts will suffice.
I too have no time to discuss any such matters with any such individual...
Then why do you begin a conversation with me by answering my posts and asking me to answer your questions?

candidone1 wrote:
uhhh, "mad dictator" gone, and WMD myth debunked.
Please elaborate on the concept of "victory" to this simpleton, because with these two issues already settled, has victory not already been reached....by your definition?

On the contrary, you answer my posts here, alright, and request that I answer your challenge to my logic, and then, when asked to support your view, state that I am beneath response. You have not merely lost the argument, but done so in a dishonest way.

As I said, what we have won by invading is certainty that Hussein is not amassing WMD and trying to perfect them. Anyone who challenges this assertion should be prepared to give evidence for what he says.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:17 am
roverroad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I said that by invading we gained certainty that Iraq had no WMD.

... Even if they did have WMD's, they could never have delivered, and that was common knowledge before the war.

They could have delivered them. All they had to do was take them apart, smuggle the pieces into an American city, and re-assemble them.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:38 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
They could have delivered them. All they had to do was take them apart, smuggle the pieces into an American city, and re-assemble them.

What makes you think they would have done that? This is a country that has never even threatened us. Iraq has been more friendly to us that some countries we call allies, should we invade them next. Just having weapons isn't an international crime. Every country has the rite to defend themselves. And is always amazes me that the very weapons that we were concerned about we have in our own arsenal and more! Hell, we gave them to Iraq... We have used them too! Should someone be justified in coming in to disarm us? Why not, because we are special?
0 Replies