Christian Usergroup: I Want a Real Christian Discussion!

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
I think it's only valid in this forum. I can find out by trying to post to one of the other threads for which I'm not a member. I find it hard to believe, though, that if the format for this forum changed that there would be no announcement saying so.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:27 pm
Looks like dys may be right. I just successfully posted to two threads for Christian and Christians user groups, and I am not a member (that I know of).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:31 pm
I see that you posted in the Christian Usergroup: What it means to be a Christian thread, Freeduck. I had to become a member before I posted to that thread. I asked Husker if he knew of any changes. Will let you know if I hear anything.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Looks like dys may be right. .

Well, sooner or later it had to happen.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:34 pm
It may just be that you have to be a member of one group or another in order to post in this forum. I am a member of the conservatives user group (don't laugh, dys). Possibly any other restrictions are self-imposed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
Any member of a debate room has always been able to cross post to other groups. Had this one been in "Christian" instead of simply "Debate Room", I wouldn't be here at all. It does look like a change has been made.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
Maybe so FD.

And I had noted your membership in the Conservatives usergroup.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
roger wrote:
Any member of a debate room has always been able to cross post to other groups. Had this one been in "Christian" instead of simply "Debate Room", I wouldn't be here at all. It does look like a change has been made.

That explains it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:38 pm
A gesture of respect from the former Conservatives group leader, Tico. You know, quality over bias.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:38 pm
freeduck you silly goose, I tried to join the conservatives group but they refused my application. ) I think even lash was on my side)anyway as I understand the situation there are no "members only" groups on a2k (yes, there used to be) the forums are still listed but anyone can post.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
roger wrote:
A gesture of respect from the former Conservatives group leader, Tico. You know, quality over bias.

I had assumed as much!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:52 pm
Well, I must have just posted it in the wrong place. Maybe the moderators will move it for me. If not, I guess I can go make sure I post it in the right place.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:00 pm
MA if you will click on "user groups" you will see that "christian" is a non-member group which means it is open to anyone.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
dys,

Thank you for answering my question. I appreciate it. Well, I wonder if they changed it because I could not post to the Christian Debate room without becoming a member. Still waiting on the moderators for some info. Will let everyone know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
Actually, she won't see it as a non-member group because she is a member.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:32 pm
roger wrote:

Curious, roger ... what change has been made?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Wilso wrote:
First you need to find a real Christian. I've never met any.

Your usual flip answer. The fact that YOU have not met any Cristians is of little or no consequence to the discussion that is being put forth. Perhaps you hang out in the wrong places. Broaden your horizons and go out and meet some.

I prefer to spend time with more mature people-those who have grown out of magic fairytales.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
Wilso wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Wilso wrote:
First you need to find a real Christian. I've never met any.

Your usual flip answer. The fact that YOU have not met any Cristians is of little or no consequence to the discussion that is being put forth. Perhaps you hang out in the wrong places. Broaden your horizons and go out and meet some.

I prefer to spend time with more mature people-those who have grown out of magic fairytales.

Then please do us a favour and go do that! Thank you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:11 pm
I'm only inferring the changes that have been made, Tico. I did spot check some of the older discussions that had formerly been in the "Christian" and "Conservative" forums are now simply in Debate Room. Any member of any of the debate room groups have always been physically able to post (trespass) on any groups discussions, but have honored the intent stated in the header of the first post. I'm making the assumption that everyone posting on this particular thread is a member of at least one of the usergroups.

I've pasted Craven's original announcement below. The highlights are my own.

Quote:
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:04 pm Post: 620967 - The Debate Room opens today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The debate room will open today.

Purpose:

To allow members to have discussions structured to their liking (within reason).

How it will work (BETA, this may change):

1) Usergroups are established.

Usergroups are communally owned. This means they are not the property of the appointed group leader. Usergroups are theme/ideology based and are not to be used as club houses or cliques.

Creation of a usergroup depends on several factors. a) The extistence of a usergroup for that topic. Duplicate groups will not be created. b) Existing membership to fill the group. There needs to be enough to make the group worth while (e.g. there is currently no demand for an underwater basket weaving group) c) The existence of a trustworthy leader for the group as the group leader will have the responsibility of keeping the group in line.

Usergroup suggestions will be taken on a thread that has not yet been created. This post will be edited to include the group suggestion thread when it is ready.

2) The groups are given access to the Debate Room. The access is contingient on the group following the rules of the debate room. If a user of a group does not do so the whole group can lose access so the groups have a responsibility to police themselves.

3) The members of the groups are allowed to create threads and specify the participation and the format. Debate Room Threads that do not declare participation and format criteria in this manner may be removed. Both must be declared in the very first line of the first post's body.

e.g.

Quote:
Usergroup(s):Liberals, Libertarians
Format:Free style

The acceptable participation criteria is: any number (above 1) of existing user groups. A discussion can be limited to one group, two or several.

The acceptable format criteria is being defined. The purpose of the format declaration is to enable the groups to have more structure if they choose. "Free style" is the way most A2K discussions progress but the groups can decide to have turn-based formats and other formats that will be outlined.

In the BETA stage of the Debate Room the groups will make up their own formats (within reason, a "everyone make fun of so and so" format would obviously not be tolerated).

4) After a period/criteria determined by the Moderators all discussions will be moved to the general forums, allowing participation by all at . . . .

_____
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
So, I gather from that--that if the "Christian usergroup" wants to have a discussion with no outside participation--they just say that in the threadstarter. (which I think she did.)

You say who can join in and what the topic is...?

Same with the Realmers, Arts group, etc...
0 Replies