Diest TKO
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:23 am
There are atheistic academic theologists for example; people who study and make themselves experts on the history, development, cultural relevance/implication, incontinuities, variance, and evolution of religion. Not all of them are religious people.

Theology isn't about proving a supernatural universe exists anymore than the study of literature is about proving that Homer fought a cyclops. It can be studied without being bought into.

Just sayin', that's all.

T
K
O

neologist
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:12 am
@Diest TKO,
What surpises me is not the number of "academic experts" who do not believe, but the astounding number who do not even see the message.
0 Replies
 
Steve 41oo
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

Ah, the famous Richard Dawkins quote. I'm seeing it more and more often these days. Still, an excellent point.
If that was a reference to my quote above, well it was my quote. And I just copy righted it. Smile
Steve 41oo
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Are you willing to expend the effort? (Proverbs 2:4)

Or do you expect me to provide a SHAZAAM!
I have no idea what a shazaam is. Regarding effort, surely religious belief requires a suspension of thought and logic (which can be hard work), only requiring simple faith to deliver the answers on a plate. If you are saying the "kernel of merit" can only be revealed to those prepared to work at it, I would like to know what it is I'm working to reveal.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:39 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
. . . I have no idea what a shazaam is. . .
OMG,I've dated myself.

You don't know of Billy Batson?
0 Replies
 
midnightcowboy
 
  2  
Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:57 pm
God iis the empty space in the minds of many, filled with fear and overlaid by a substitute for Mother. Being God, someone to look after them.
spendius
 
  2  
Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:10 pm
@midnightcowboy,
I have been overlaid by mother substitutes myself on a number of occasions. It isn't all that bad.

Have you ever tried looking after yourself?
aperson
 
  2  
Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:13 pm
@Steve 41oo,
No, it wasn't...
0 Replies
 
candide
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 03:33 am
@neologist,
God is not human
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:08 pm
@candide,
candide wrote:

God is not human
So, you're not a trinitarian. Good for you!
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 05:53 pm
Weren't the greek and roman gods and goddesses super humans?
0 Replies
 
midnightcowboy
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 06:11 pm
@spendius,
Indeed I have. As a necessity. I didn't say Mother was a bad thing at all. Mine just happened to die when I was 10 you see. Father was never there.

Looking after yourself is a very hard task initially as you have to learn to rely on yourself and your judgement. At a young age that is often full of errors so it does take quite a time. But once achieved, independence is brilliant. You need nobody, but you can choose to share with others if they are able to accept you and you them.
0 Replies
 
Chumly
 
  2  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 12:06 am
@neologist,
"Etc."

This is an abbreviation of the Latin et cetera, meaning 'and other things'. Some people say that it should not be used with lists of people, or to mean 'and so forth' when referring to events or actions: The children laughed, shouted, ran about, etc.

However, its use in these contexts is well established, although et al is more polite when referring to people (this is an abbreviation of the Latin et alii, meaning 'and others').

The more important question is whether you should use these abbreviations at all. They are useful for notes and on forms, but look out of place in ordinary writing; better to begin a list of examples with such as or for example, or to follow it with and so on, and so forth, or (with people) and others.

Whatever form you use, make sure that you give some idea of what the other items might be.

In a sentence such as there are worms etc in the garden, etc could refer to almost anything: worms, beetles, woodlice, and so on suggests other creepy-crawlies, while: creatures such as worms, spiders, and frogs suggests a much wider range of wildlife.

This means that you have to know what you mean: etc and its equivalents are often used when people are not sure, or cannot be bothered to think about, what they wish to include. Remember the c in et cetera is pronounced s. The et is sometimes incorrectly pronounced ek. Note also that etc and et al can be written with or without a full stop.
aidan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 01:05 am
@midnightcowboy,
midnightcowboy wrote:
Quote:
God iis the empty space in the minds of many,

I think that's true - and simply and beautifully stated.
And for me, that 'empty space' in my mind is absolutely essential-I wouldn't want every single corner or cavity of my mind to be filled with something or anything concrete and/or provable or tangible.
That would leave no room for possibilities.
How boring!

Quote:
filled with fear and overlaid by a substitute for Mother. Being God, someone to look after them.

But you're wrong about this (in my case). This is not what my empty space is filled with.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 01:24 am
@Chumly,
Exciting!
Diest TKO
 
  2  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 01:41 am
@neologist,
Neo sighting.

T
K
O
midnightcowboy
 
  2  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 04:51 am
@aidan,
Well said Aidan and I am glad you have not followed the many and filled the space simply because it is there. No argument here.

I am glad I didn't say all, just many! As there are, of course, many exceptions to the sheep.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:06 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Neo sighting.

T
K
O
Another opportuity for shameless mention of my neat survival products, fire starters, knives, etc. in my eBay store which now occupies most of my time.
Diest TKO
 
  3  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:15 am
@neologist,
T
K
Laughing
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:21 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
Laughing
Invitation to coffee stands.
Regards,
Bob
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Define God
  3. » Page 39
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/27/2020 at 11:07:30