New US textbook aims to teach Bible as knowledge

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Setanta, quoting a wannabe American theocrat wrote:
Quote:
On the other side, Dennis Cuddy, a Christian conservative who has worked as a consultant for the U.S. Department of Education, said the book raised doubts about God and prompted students to ask the wrong questions.

"If you are going to teach the Bible, are you going to teach it as if it were the word of God? At the least, it should be taught as truthful. It shouldn't be presented as something that is false," he said.
(emphasis added)

Or in other words, at least this American theocrat doesn't like this course as proposed. Why should that be a reason for an agnostic school principal not to offer it in the first place?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:32 pm
For the same reason that a schoolmaster in Germany is not allowed to present or allow the presentation of the proposition that there were no Holocaust--it is an idea pernicious to the health of the nation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
Again, this is not being taught in a secular or religious form. And it is ELECTIVE. For those that demand that our choices are not taken away, it seems in this instance this is a choice they would have taken away?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Would you, then, accept the proposition that "alternative sexual lifestyles" be offered as an elective?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Would you, then, accept the proposition that "alternative sexual lifestyles" be offered as an elective?

Wouldn't that be more like an internship?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Please fish elsewhere.
0 Replies

Thomas

Setanta wrote:
For the same reason that a schoolmaster in Germany is not allowed to present or allow the presentation of the proposition that there were no Holocaust--it is an idea pernicious to the health of the nation.

As it happens, we did read passages from Mein Kampf in history class, and we also read the entire Communist Manifesto. So did millions of high school students in my generation. The health of our nation remained unaffected.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:45 pm
Would an elective Bible class be acceptable provided that students learn about all popular (and not so popular) interpretations?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:46 pm
Oh wait, i've got a better idea ! ! ! Let's offer electives in White Supremacy, Communist Command Economies, Fascism as National Salvation, Right Wing Death Squads for Jesus (don't laugh, look up Roberto D'Aubuisson Arrieta sometime), Adolescent and Prepubescent Soldiers--Resources in Third World Conflict . . . ah, the possibilities are endless . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:46 pm
Elective or not, the ultimate purpose of putting the Bible in our schools remains the same. Oust science. It is one foot in the door.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:47 pm
Would you approve of a bible class that taught that there are many views of the origin and veracity of the bible, and get into discussions of these various viepoints?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:47 pm
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

As it happens, we did read passages from Mein Kampf in history class, and we also read the entire Communist Manifesto. So did millions of high school students in my generation. The health of our nation remained unaffected.

How do you assert that either of those works relate to a denial of the Holocaust? Am i mistaken in repeating what i am certain Walter has told me, that it is illegal in German to publicly deny the Holocaust?

Don't use strawmen with me Thomas, it's demeaning to you . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Wouldn't that be more like an internship?

Heeheeheeheeheeheehee . . . ah, you're a bad man . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Please fish elsewhere.

Horsie poop--it is very much to the point. You want to peddle your preferred imaginary friend superstition in the public schools, and you will potentially open the flood gates of special interest agendae . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Phoenix,

If the Bible were being taught in this class in a religious context and as the truth, then I'd say yes. But, that is not what they are saying is going to be done in this case.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Phoenix

If you're asking me, that's what I am asking.
I say, "sure why not?"
Gnostic as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Phoenix,

If the Bible were being taught in this class in a religious context and as the truth, then I'd say yes. But, that is not what they are saying is going to be done in this case.

Momma- I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you approve of the bible being taught in public schools in a religious context, as the truth?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:57 pm
Phoenix,

What I mean is. If it were to be taught saying it was the 100% truth and in a religious context, I don't see how you could possibly teach it without the views you stated. Believing in the Bible and God comes down to everyone's choice. I am not for taking away a person's choice of what religion they decide to follow.

Christians have all differing views on the Bible and different things involved. I don't think because I believe in the rapture and some don't means that they are any less Christian.

But, I would not advocate that a religious class would be taught unless it was also PURELY ELECTIVE. I feel it's up to each individual.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

How do you assert that either of those works relate to a denial of the Holocaust? Am i mistaken in repeating what i am certain Walter has told me, that it is illegal in German to publicly deny the Holocaust?

Don't use strawmen with me Thomas, it's demeaning to you . . .

That wasn't a strawman, it was compassion with your analogy, which desperately needs it. Yes, it is illegal to deny the Holocaust in Germany. (I was against this law -- lying shouldn't be a crime.) I would also have no problem discussing pamphlets of holocaust deniers in school -- which is not to say I accept your assertion of some meaningful analogy between the bible and holocaust denial.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
Quote:
But, I would not advocate that a religious class would be taught unless it was also PURELY ELECTIVE. I feel it's up to each individual.

Momma- I don't care if it is elective or not. A class on religion, unless it is a class in comparative religions (which is usually taught on the college, and not the high school level anyhow) IMO is NEVER appropriate in a public school.
0 Replies