New US textbook aims to teach Bible as knowledge

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Setanta wrote:
This is pretty pungent horseshit. Sowell tips his hand with the use of the expression "evolutionist." A theory of evolution, well founded in science and incorporated into a wide variety of scientific disciplines, is not an ideology. The only people who use the term "evolutionist" are the creationist/ID crowd. And in fact, Sowell is here peddling a notorious creationist talking point. The creationist screed presented at Eternal Perspective Ministries includes the following statement: "Since no man was there to record or even witness the beginning, conclusions must be made only on the basis of interpreting presently available information." The same talking point can be found in a slightly different form at Answers in Genesis. Sowell is simply peddling creationist swill, and attempting to appear as though he is taking a neutral position.

Actually, I think the intention is to point out that there is more useful and important information to be taught (math, reading, writing, etc.) then arguing about whether the world was created or big banged. I would tend to agree with that... but I'm pretty sure you'll just call that horse **** as well.

If you assert that the teaching of science is not a useful exercise, then i will tell you that is horseshit. If you assert that a theory of evolution is concerned with cosmic origins, i will tell you you are certainly very ignorant. A theory of evolution does not deal with cosmic origins. It does not matter to a consideration of the process of evolution whether the world were created or came into existence by some other process. References to a "big bang" are meaningless to a theory of evolution. It is perfectly reasonable to stipulate that there is a god and that this god created the universe, and that subesequently, the contemporary diversity of life on this planet arose through an evolutionary process of desecent with modification by natural selection from common ancestors.

The problem arises with the right wing fringe of evangelical protestant christians in the United States, and in those countries in which they proselytize. It is their contention that the Holy Bobble is inerrant, a complete and absolutely truth account of the the origin of the world and everything which currently inhabits this planet. It is in the nature of religious extremism never to question canonical scripture--to do so is heresy. These particular christians avow this doctrine of "revealed truth." It is a dodge to assert that a theory of evolution requires the universe to have come into being from a "big bang." A theory of evolution is mute on the subject of cosmic origins--it is not pertinent, and to that extent, a theory of evolution does not "care" how the cosmos came into existence. A theory of evolution only concerns itself with the rise of life on this planet. Extremist evangelical christians associate evolution and the "big bang" in their minds because they swallow Bishop Ussher's tripe about a six thousand year old planet, and any other description of the world does violence to their exegesis--and they therefore reject it as heretical.

Do you assert, JP, that teaching science is not a useful activity in schools?

Mr. Setanta,

Have you forgotten? Shocked Oh, surely you must have! :wink: Some of those that call themselves Creationists have said that they are not discounting evolution completely. Afterall, it does not say in the Bible exactly how God created everything. It just says He did! :wink:

I just thought you might like that little reminder! Hope you are having a wonderful day!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:44 pm
Yes, Momma. I am one of them. There is a distinction between evolution and the theory of evolution. While the theory, as a science, describes the laws governing evolution, it provides no explanation as to the cause of the creation. The ongoing evolution can surely be in line with God's Creation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:45 pm
That is your typical tripe, MOAN. It is the "Intelligent Design" crowd, who posit for the Heavenly Interior Decorator who claim--falsely--that they accept "some" of a theory of evolution. Creationists stipulate a complete creation at the outset. Have the good taste not to attempt to peddle your lies in such a flagrant manner. A theory of evolution is an integrated description which attempts to account for all of the data--it is not possible to take some of it and reject other portions. To do so would be to modify the theory--and if you modify a theory, it must be capable of accounting for all known data or it is a failure as a theory.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
Set... WTF is your point?

I understand how evolution works.

I never asserted any of the things that you accuse me of and don't understand where you are reading this ****.

The only point I was trying to make was that we could be doing a better job of teaching our kids known useful information, but instead we waste a bunch of time and money trying to prove the other side wrong. Maybe you should go back and re-check a few of your own assertions about me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
Sure, JP, no problem, i'll be right back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:54 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Actually, I think the intention is to point out that there is more useful and important information to be taught (math, reading, writing, etc.) then arguing about whether the world was created or big banged.

As i have pointed out, a theory of evolution does not refer to cosmic origins. Whether or not there were a big bang is immaterial to a study of the evolution of life forms.

Quote:
I would tend to agree with that... but I'm pretty sure you'll just call that horse **** as well.

Since teaching evolutionary theory does not require a stipulation about whether or not the world were created, or, in your term "big banged," yes, i would call an assertion that teaching science is not teaching useful and important knowledge to be horseshit.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
That is your typical tripe, MOAN. It is the "Intelligent Design" crowd, who posit for the Heavenly Interior Decorator who claim--falsely--that they accept "some" of a theory of evolution. Creationists stipulate a complete creation at the outset. Have the good taste not to attempt to peddle your lies in such a flagrant manner. A theory of evolution is an integrated description which attempts to account for all of the data--it is not possible to take some of it and reject other portions. To do so would be to modify the theory--and if you modify a theory, it must be capable of accounting for all known data or it is a failure as a theory.

Mr. Setanta,

You don't like tripe either?! Neither do I! Ick! The ruminant of a stomach of an ox or something! Not Equal Razz Yucky poo!

Mr. Setanta, do you have any idea how God might have created everything Question Do you think it might be possible that He did use the Big Bang theory? Who is to say that evolution didn't have something to do with how He created everything? Idea

I thought maybe I would just elaborate on what I said earlier a little bit. I don't think you got my full meaning and I sure wouldn't want any misunderstandings between you and I! Afterall, you are still my Smileys Anonymouse sponsor! Very Happy

I must admit though, I really feel out of control with these things right now. I haven't been able to find any support group meetings on them. Crying or Very sad Can you give me any other suggestions for this awful affliction I have Question I mean other than being a Christian and having as much faith as I do? :wink:

It is cold and rainy here today. What is the weather like out there dancing among the electrons anyway? Very Happy

I hope you stay nice and warm today wherever you are!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
I don't know why I bother...

I am not arguing about how the world was created and how evolution fits into either theory. I fully understand that how the world was created is immaterial to evolution.

Next time I'll be more careful with my words though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
Good idea, i highly recommend such a salutary measure.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:58 pm
Serious question Set... are you arguing just for the sake of arguing or did I really do such a poor job of articulating what I was trying to say?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
Sowell's quote contains a notorious Creationist talking point, the "nobody was there to see" dodge. Therefore, i took note of that, because combined with his use of the term "evolutionist," it is strong circumstantial evidence that he is promoting a creationist point of view, while attempting to appear neutral. The creationists don't necessarily want to teach creation in school--as long as they can get the teaching of evolution out of schools, because they see it as a challenge to the proposition that a biblical description of creation is inerrant, and teaching evolution will provide an unacceptable challenge to that devotion to canonical scripture. In short, they think it will "pollute" the minds of children. Even were they to succeed, however, they'd still have problems, as a "big bang" theory is not a part of evolution, and they'd have to go after different science education to block that. Part of the strategy of those who wish to impose a christian agenda on public education is to associate in the mind of the general public a denial of creation with a theory of evolution.

Therefore, when you used the expression "arguing about whether the world was created or big banged."--it appeared to me that not only were you defending Sowell's statement, but that you subscribe to a notion that evolution is an attack on creation, and therefore unacceptable in public education. As well, the phrase "there is more useful and important information to be taught" appeared to suggest that the teaching of science (of which evolution is an integral part) is neither useful nor important.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Therefore, when you used the expression "arguing about whether the world was created or big banged."--it appeared to me that not only were you defending Sowell's statement, but that you subscribe to a notion that evolution is an attack on creation, and therefore unacceptable in public education. As well, the phrase "there is more useful and important information to be taught" appeared to suggest that the teaching of science (of which evolution is an integral part) is neither useful nor important.

Then the answer would be: I did that poor of a job articulating myself, because that was not my intent at all.

Let's try this on for size:

Instead of spending so much time worrying about whether or not your kid is being taught how you believe the world came into existence, it might first be a good idea to make sure he/she has the knowledge of basic reading, writing and arithmetics (you being used as a completely generic term and is not meant to be specific to anybody on this thread).

Better?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
JP -- perhaps you already did that many pages ago, but could you give some context and maybe a URL for the Sowell quote? It looks to me as if he is trying to annoy liberals, which for some reason he likes to do. But I'd rather to read the context than second-guess him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Yes, JP i consider that much better--now we only need to get you to realize that science education is both useful and important.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:31 pm
Thomas wrote:
JP -- perhaps you already did that many pages ago, but could you give some context and maybe a URL for the Sowell quote? It looks to me as if he is trying to annoy liberals, which for some reason he likes to do. But I'd rather to read the context than second-guess him.

That is the entire content, Thomas. It was from one of his "Random Thoughts" editorials.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, JP i consider that much better--now we only need to get you to realize that science education is both useful and important.

To be fair here, I never said that evolution, let alone science, should not be taught in schools. Also, using the word "science" is a bit unfair considering that the word encompasses so much more than evolution and the existence of the earth. I wholly understand the importance of teaching science in school and would hope that you are not actually suggesting otherwise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
It was certainly hard to tell, and given that your original remarks had the appearance of parrotting creationist talking points, it did seem that you may not have been entirely convinced of the need for or importance of science education in the public schools. Commonly, discrete fields of scientific education are not presented separately until the student reaches high school. For a refernce, i would link the Ohio Board of Education curriculum standards, but this ain't my computer, so i don't have the link handy. To the extent that for most of a student's career in public school, science is presented as a unitary field of study, i consider the use of the term here appropriate.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Setanta wrote:

When I look at the biographies of German Nobel Prize winners in physics, chemistry, and medicine, I am frequently amazed by one observation: How many of them -- certainly a greater-than-average percentage for Germany -- attended the Humanistisches Gymnasium. That is a brand of high school specializing in ancient Greek and Latin. Because of the literature written in those languages, ancient history and classical philosophy inevitably are other major foci at this kind of institution.

At the time those Nobel Prize winners received their humanist education there, English was always taught as a third language, typically in an elective course. No sentence could possibly be short enough to do justice to their science curriculum, which was rudimentary. Based on this observation and comparable ones I made among my fellow physicists, I believe that the really important thing to teach in a school is the basics JP referred to, plus the tools to acquire new knowledge by ones own initiative. Once students possess those tools, they can learn all the natural science they'll ever need in college. And that includes future evolutionary biologists.

So for what it's worth, I do not think science education beyond the basics is a terribly important part of a high school curriculum. And I also don't think there's a compulsive case for teaching evolutionary biology. If a school wants to teach ancient Greek instead -- no problem. It has, if you'll excuse the language, my blessing.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:12 pm
Set, I'm not sure if I am reading this wrong, but I am receiving a very condescending tone from your posts. I get the feeling you think of me as a 5th grade educated, bible banging, backwoods hill billy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:15 pm
I have long since realized that there is no hope for the amelioration of your English usage, Thomas, so i certainly would excuse you just about any violence you do the langauge.

The laureates to whom you refer attended gymnasium in an era when the sum of reliable, rudimentary scientific knowledge available for teaching at those levels would have occupied a sentence as short as that to which you allude. I would note that you seem unable to dispense with science altogether, you seem to see a need for what you imprecisely refer to as "basics." I would laugh to scorn any contention that evolutionary biology is not a basic fundament of science. Certainly, i hope that no curricula in the United States are the result of compulsive disorders.
0 Replies