New US textbook aims to teach Bible as knowledge

au1929

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Momma wrote
Quote:
IMO there will always be strife concerning religion because there will always be those that believe and those that do not believe; thus ~ strife

Yes. And the religious and religion will always teach preach tolerance and act intolerant.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:19 am
I think it would be better to say some and not lump everyone into the same category?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:22 am
Quote:
Since neither the creationists nor the evolutionists were there when the world began, why are our schools teaching either set of beliefs, when there are so many hard facts that the schools are failing to teach?

- Thomas Sowell
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Momma
How about preponderance. Would that cover it?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:24 am
au1929,

You know as well as I know and everyone else knows, you cannot be given scientific proof of God. No one is denying that. Christianity is based on faith.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
Momma Angel Wrote

Quote:
au1929,

You know as well as I know and everyone else knows, you cannot be given scientific proof of God. No one is denying that. Christianity is based on faith.

I agree and as a matter of fact I do believe, or at least I want To believe there is a God. However, what I do not believe is the way he is depicted by religions. There is actually no basis for any of them. They all spring from the imagination of man. And create more harm than good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
In which case, it is little better than a fairy tale, and has no business in schools presented as truth.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
I alwasy enjoyed the part where a christian can stop the sun in mid-sky, that's pretty exciting I think.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
In which case, it is little better than a fairy tale, and has no business in schools presented as truth.

Good morning, Mr. Setanta! How are you doing this fine day! I am happy to see you join our discussion! Laughing

I think Mr. Setanta, that this class on the Bible was not being offered as truth. It was being spoken of as being taught as a literary work. I think there is a big difference there. Don't you, Mr. Setanta? :wink:

I hope you have a wonderful day, Mr. Setanta! I hope you have fine weather!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
Mr. Dyslexia Wrote:

Quote:
I alwasy enjoyed the part where a christian can stop the sun in mid-sky, that's pretty exciting I think.

Mr. Dys, could you provide a Biblical reference for that particular belief? :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
au1929 Wrote:

Quote:
I agree and as a matter of fact I do believe, or at least I want To believe there is a God. However, what I do not believe is the way he is depicted by religions. There is actually no basis for any of them. They all spring from the imagination of man. And create more harm than good.

That would be your opinion, right? :wink:
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:56 am
Not only the sun was stopped but the moon also, and there could be no better reason than to allow more time for whoop-assing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:57 am
Mr. Mesquite,

Can you also provide a Biblical reference for that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Quote:
Since neither the creationists nor the evolutionists were there when the world began, why are our schools teaching either set of beliefs, when there are so many hard facts that the schools are failing to teach?

- Thomas Sowell

This is pretty pungent horseshit. Sowell tips his hand with the use of the expression "evolutionist." A theory of evolution, well founded in science and incorporated into a wide variety of scientific disciplines, is not an ideology. The only people who use the term "evolutionist" are the creationist/ID crowd. And in fact, Sowell is here peddling a notorious creationist talking point. The creationist screed presented at Eternal Perspective Ministries includes the following statement: "Since no man was there to record or even witness the beginning, conclusions must be made only on the basis of interpreting presently available information." The same talking point can be found in a slightly different form at Answers in Genesis. Sowell is simply peddling creationist swill, and attempting to appear as though he is taking a neutral position.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
Joshua 10:
Quote:
12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
.13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

http://www.bibleexplained.com/other-early/Joshua/jos10.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
Thank you, Mesquite. I knew it was in there but wasn't sure where!

Guess you don't believe in miracles, huh? :wink:
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:14 pm
I believe it is a miracle that such is taken for fact.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
Mr. Mesquite,

Well, that's a start! Laughing
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
This is pretty pungent horseshit. Sowell tips his hand with the use of the expression "evolutionist." A theory of evolution, well founded in science and incorporated into a wide variety of scientific disciplines, is not an ideology. The only people who use the term "evolutionist" are the creationist/ID crowd. And in fact, Sowell is here peddling a notorious creationist talking point. The creationist screed presented at Eternal Perspective Ministries includes the following statement: "Since no man was there to record or even witness the beginning, conclusions must be made only on the basis of interpreting presently available information." The same talking point can be found in a slightly different form at Answers in Genesis. Sowell is simply peddling creationist swill, and attempting to appear as though he is taking a neutral position.

Actually, I think the intention is to point out that there is more useful and important information to be taught (math, reading, writing, etc.) then arguing about whether the world was created or big banged. I would tend to agree with that... but I'm pretty sure you'll just call that horse **** as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:30 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Actually, I think the intention is to point out that there is more useful and important information to be taught (math, reading, writing, etc.) then arguing about whether the world was created or big banged. I would tend to agree with that... but I'm pretty sure you'll just call that horse **** as well.

If you assert that the teaching of science is not a useful exercise, then i will tell you that is horseshit. If you assert that a theory of evolution is concerned with cosmic origins, i will tell you you are certainly very ignorant. A theory of evolution does not deal with cosmic origins. It does not matter to a consideration of the process of evolution whether the world were created or came into existence by some other process. References to a "big bang" are meaningless to a theory of evolution. It is perfectly reasonable to stipulate that there is a god and that this god created the universe, and that subesequently, the contemporary diversity of life on this planet arose through an evolutionary process of desecent with modification by natural selection from common ancestors. Literally hundreds of millions of people on this planet who believe in god and believe in a creation also believe that the diversity of life forms on this planet is the result of evolution.

The problem arises with the right wing fringe of evangelical protestant christians in the United States, and in those countries in which they proselytize. It is their contention that the Holy Bobble is inerrant, a complete and absolutely truthful account of the the origin of the world and everything which currently inhabits this planet. It is in the nature of religious extremism never to question canonical scripture--to do so is heresy. These particular christians avow this doctrine of "revealed truth." It is a dodge to assert that a theory of evolution requires the universe to have come into being from a "big bang." A theory of evolution is mute on the subject of cosmic origins--it is not pertinent, and to that extent, a theory of evolution does not "care" how the cosmos came into existence. A theory of evolution only concerns itself with the rise of life on this planet. Extremist evangelical christians associate evolution and the "big bang" in their minds because they swallow Bishop Ussher's tripe about a six thousand year old planet, and any other description of the world does violence to their exegesis--and they therefore reject it as heretical.

Do you assert, JP, that teaching science is not a useful activity in schools?
0 Replies