Mommy Tantrums

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:39 am
I had thought about putting small pillows around her crib but the problem was that it was so HIGH.. she was hurting herself.

I couldnt take off the front rail with out leaving half of the mattress springs with out support.. so .. couldnt do that.

thought about it though..

Yesterday afternoon just before i went to work I took Bean upstairs and stayed in her room for a while.
When daddy got home, he took her up there as well for about 2 hours and just played.

I moved some of her toys in the room and put down the floor pieces to her play scape.

It is the foam style climbing pieces that have the mats that velcro to the floor. We use them in the down stairs play area and I know she likes them..

I also got her a big fluffy duck. Very Happy
he is about half as tall as she is and big, fluffy , and bright yellow. I put him on her dresser and she saw him for the first time this morning. ;-)
needless to say shelikes him.
So, for nap time, he is going to be in her bed... and hopefully she will like him.

Last night, dad rocked her to bed... a slam to the mommy ego.... Jillian went to bed with NO complaint... NO problem.. >sigh<
hehe.. I know it was because she was tired, and not because of me.. but for a fleeting second i was tempted to ask him to race home to put her to bed for her nap and then go back to work. Laughing

When she woke up, I did more of the room introduction as she was waking up in my arms.. only slower like DD said, and much more detail then before.

She woke up crying and i could immediatly feel my stress and anxiety kicking in .. so I took a second before I went into her room and calmed myself a bit.
PTSD Laughing

I think , today, Im not going to really push a nap.. and just spend more time in her room.
Yesterday we spent about 2 hours ( broke up over the day) playing in there..
Today I will make more time in there...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:43 am
I've been putting Yaya down every night for months now. Just seems to work better that way.

Glad to hear she slept OK last night. Hope today is an improvement over yesterday!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:58 am
sozobe wrote:
Also, if I may ask, what was your nighttime routine before all of this happened?

About 30 maybe 40 minutes long..
Starting with a bath , with toys.. and i just let her play for a while.
No real direction to time / routine..
Then we would go into her room, dry off, lotion up / a bit of a massage, put on night gown and then , in the rocking chair, she would have her bottle while I read a book. When the book was done.. about half way though her bottle, I would turn off the lights and we would rock until the bottle was done. Then , I would lay her in her bed , tuck her in, talk to her for a few seconds, then leave.
she would work herself to sleep that way.

Quote:

I know that after your trip to ABQ there was a bad transition, but not sure how long that lasted/ what ended up happening.

She just stopped.
I stopped being panicked, and she stopped screaming.
It took about a week.. but she just stopped one day, on her own.

Quote:
From what I've heard from friends, any form of "cry it out" nighttime parenting goes through a really rough stretch when the kid is old enough to climb out of the crib. This is not to scare you (and I almost didn't write it because I know the last thing you need is more on your mind) but something to integrate into your plan, as you make a plan. And I do think some sort of plan is really useful for this sort of situation -- flexibility is important, of course, but I've found that the "throw stuff at the problem and see what sticks" approach is stressful for both the child and parent. Not least because many things plain don't stick for a while -- as in, even if it is the right approach, it has to be consistently applied for a while before it has any effect.

This I didnt know?
Tough stretch meaning... what?
I dont do the ' complete' cry it out method..
I let her cry for a few minutes.. about.. 3 ? maybe 4?
then I go in, comfort, talk, then leave again..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:02 am
Maybe that is something we should do.
Have one of us always put her to bed..
and make that a routine as well..

We trade nights.. not on a schedule mind you..
but sometimes he puts her to bed, sometimes I do..

maybe that needs to be routine as well..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:04 am
We did it out of necessity, we continue because of convenience.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:05 am
I'm so glad she got some good sleep!

(And hope that means you did, too...)

What I mean about cry it out is that, as a method, it pretty much depends on the child being stuck where he or she is. She doesn't want to be there, she's crying, but she's stuck in the crib (or wherever) and there's nothing she can do about it, so she cries for a while and then stops.

Once she's less stuck, the method doesn't work as well. (This is just anecdotal info from friends.)

I know you were talking about ways to keep her in her room rather than in her crib, though, so maybe that would have the same effect. My advice kinda dries up there, as it's not something we've done and the specifics I know from friends didn't work. I think other people here have done some variation of that though.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:07 am
Did you try giving her about 10oz of Tylenol PM?

I'll make one hell of a dad.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
""Once she's less stuck, the method doesn't work as well. ""
Oh dear...

I never thought about that.
>sigh< so true....

yeah, I got some sleep, she did too.
She didnt wake up at night , and I had the baby monitor on pretty loud, and I didnt hear her get out of bed at all either...
So.. I guess she isnt scared of the bed..
just the diffrent room.

Slappy-
you would be father of the year if you gave that tylenol PM with an Everclear chaser...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:11 am
You're thinking Children's Benedril.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
Whoops. That should have been a reply to Slappy, obviously.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
Saw a photoshop contest recently... Let me see if I can find it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:13 am
That's encouraging, shewolf! She also may have been TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED, though. It's encouraging either way -- she's already building up some positive associations, got a good night's rest there -- just means it might not be over quite yet. Might be some recurrence after she's less tired.

It's hard to rank the difficult stuff about parenthood, but the two steps forward, one step back aspect has to be pretty high up there.

Then again, maybe she really did make the transition already. Hope so.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
If only I could be so lucky if she is ok with the bed in less then 72 hours..
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
If advertising were 100% truthful:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5369/bene25cm.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
And no, I don't really do that. But it was funny.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
AAAAA
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm
I got bean to take a nap.
I sat by her bed and put my arm over her back and rubbed her head and shoulders.

she was still upset and uncomfortable with the bed idea today

we played in her room this afternoon and she is perfectly comfortable with that

but the second she thinks im leaving.. she has a baby panic attack.

I had cheated a little though..
I made myself some chamomile tea and gave her a little in her juice just before we went upstairs.
It helped ME to stay calm because I knew that I could get stressed and easily..

it took about 30 minutes of me sitting next to her before she fell asleep.

Maybe, if after a while of doing this, she can relax on her own, i can start being a little farther away... and then farther...
like I did when she was learning to sleep in her crib.

> crossing fingers<
we shall see..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
Sounds good shewolf!

First step is to get her comfortable and secure in the new surroundings, and looks like you're well on your way.
0 Replies

Tara K

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:57 pm
We moved about 4 times just as my daughter went in her toddler bed. Each transition was a bit difficult to 'lose' the old room and get a 'new' one.

We let her choose something for her room every time we moved to help make it something exciting. Nothing expensive. Once it was new sheets and pillowcase, a flannel print from The Little Mermaid if I remember correctly. Once it was a poster to hang where she could see over her bed. Once it was a small fluffy rug for her to get out of bed onto, since she was a big girl in a toddler bed. She was proud of each thing and it helped make the bed and room 'hers'.

Maybe you could try something along that lines. Even if you don't want to buy something, draw pictures with her to hang where she can see them. Stress the 'now that she is a big girl, she should have some help in decorating the room.'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:25 am
I had just tried something like that and got great results in the 'bed time " dept.

As I said earlier, I went out and got her a big fluffy duck..
Well...she liked the duck for about 5 minutes. I tried taking it into her room to help her with going to sleep and that didnt go over well either.
THe duck didnt SCARE her... but she wasnt interested in it like I had hoped.
So we went out the next day and I let her pick out a toy. She got a squishy octopus, bright purple with BIG eyes.

NOW- she sleeps with it.. HA

I never thought about letting HER pick decorations for her room.. that is a good idea as well. Thanks :-)
0 Replies