????????????????

nimh

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 02:58 pm
Nah, she probably just lost interest, moved on, like most new users on any random board - it's a free web. (You resigned from this board yourself back in May, I seem to remember.)

Also, she sounded like she might have been a bit too young, perhaps, to fully appreciate all too intricate discussions ... plus, she said "thank you" for the advice.

(OK, thats enough standing up for newbies already).

Kemal Ataturk introduced the Latin alphabet in 1928, by the way. According to one source, "As one who set an example by doing, Ataturk traveled throughout Turkey with chalk and a portable blackboard, personally teaching the new alphabet in schools, village squares, and other public places."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
Hi, HofT! Gonna be around a while, or are you still caught up in the glamor life? :wink:
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:23 pm
Yeah, the article by Craven de Kere can explain much of your question. But if Turkish were opening greatly to the languages in the world as English were, it would be a hodgepodge as English language, too. Razz
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Poor, TC. She's getting many good advise, but I think it's beginning to be a little overwhelming. A good way to learn English is to study your dictionary, starting with "a." I use the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, and in the front section is "A Brief History of the English Language" by Morton W. Bloomfield. It's quite comprehensive, and answers many questions you may have. That's followed by "The Indo-European Origin of English" written by Calvert Watkins. The third section, "Good Usage, Bad Usage, and Usage" by Morris Bishop. It follows with "Dialects of English, "The Spelling and Pronunciation of English," "Computers in Language Analysis and in Lexicography," and "Guide to the Dictionary." Good luck. c.i.

AHD is always in my hand too. Smile

Regarding "good advise":
I don't understand why some guys always mixed up "advise" with "advice", obviously c.i. meant "advices". Is it a mistake deep-rooted in the mind of the people? I've seen some big dictionaries also indicate "advise" as noun, and in fact "advise" is a verb. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:41 pm
The advice vs. advise error is common among fluent English speakers.

C.I. actually made a less common mistake by using "many" to decribe advice. As you probably know, it should have been "much" or "a lot" as "advice" is not considered a countable word.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:26 am
orister, Thanks for catching my mistake. You know how it works don't you? The writer usually misses their own mistake, but catches other people making the same mistake. Wink
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:51 am
HofT wrote:
Advice that will really help is a reminder: the creator of today's written Turkish was the late military strongman Mustafa Kemal, who decreed in the 1930s that anyone who doesn't pronounce Western letters exactly as they appear gets shot at dawn.

Prior to the 1930s the Turkic peoples (illiterate nomads when they started wandering westwards) had to use Arabic script in the absence of writing of their own.

English, like all Western languages, evolved over millenia without threats of execution following mispronunciations or mis-spellings - otherwise most of us here would be long gone <G>

Interesting read Smile
But I highly doubt that was true that there had once been a decree "that anyone who doesn't pronounce Western letters exactly as they appear gets shot at dawn" Rolling Eyes
Any link to the historical resource?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:05 am
Turkish chick certainly seems to spell OK for a beginner.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
Hi back, Timber! Glamor is addictive <G>

Looking into this site occasionally to see how the Great North American Novel (by Blatham) is coming along. He was last heard from at Lola's latest establishment here, with suitably encrypted post stating he'll complete it in January - year not specified, though: should we worry?!!

All good wishes to you and family for 2004.
0 Replies