????????????????

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:19 am
WHY DOn'T YOU USE YOUR ALPHABET IN ENGLISH??
IN TURKISH WE WRITE AS HOW WE READ, WE READ AS HOW WE WRITE Rolling Eyes AT MY SCHOOL STUDENTS ALWAYS ASK TEACHER THAT "how do you spell it?", "how do you read it?" and when i heard it first i was shocked Confused 'cuz we never ask something like that in Turkey/Turkish..
a letter can have ONLY one sound
as an example if you write A you must read it as A you cant change it...
and another question about "K" this letter doesnt have a sound either..
Know, Knife, Knight...etc..
if it is not gonna have a sound why am i gonna put that K letter there??? there are A LOT OF questions in my mind about English language..i cant solve them..
i hope that you understand me Sad i am new in usa..that is why maybe i could not explain my problem enoughly Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,464 • Replies: 28
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:23 am
Heehee, TC!!

English has developed as a conglomerate of many languages - and its spelling is highly idiosyncratic.

There ARE some rules - but all of them are broken all the time. The more you read in English the better your spelling will become. The more you speak and listen, the better your pronunciation will be.

It is just a matter of time and not becoming discouraged.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 02:44 am
There are many reasons for the lack of phonetical spelling in English. I detail a great many of these reasons here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1349

But the short answer to your question is that English does not use accented letters and thus does not have enough symbols or characters to represent the sounds a human is capable of. This has reslted in inventive combiations to represent sounds.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 02:53 am
and inventive spelling.... Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:04 am
lol

ok: inventive combinations*
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:22 am
T-C, the inconsistencies of English spelling and grammar are among the reasons some folks say it is among the more difficult languages for a non-native speaker to pick up. Even sillier are the inconsistencies between British English and American English.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:37 am
hooked on fonix
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:39 am
Turkish-Chick

Quote:
A LOT OF questions in my mind about English language..i cant solve them..

Me neither, and I was born in America. You see a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes, made by educated English speaking people. English IS a difficult language, but, IMO, you are doing just fine.

Keep writing and asking questions, and you will definitely improve your command of the English language!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:03 am
Sorry, Chick. I said you would get answers if you asked. I forgot to mention that some questions just don't have answers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:11 am
And sometimes the answers you get aren't the answers you want Laughing
0 Replies

Turkish-Chick

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:32 pm
especially for me Sad sometimes i cannot explain my real problem Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:46 pm
T-C, defining the real probelem is a common problem regardless of language, I think Laughing

A quick digression here, if its not too personal ... Where in Chicago are you? I'm from the area. Ask any older hippie type Chicago-Native freinds if they remember places like The Taproot Pub, The Witch's Haven Coffee House, or Navy Pier as a rundown, abandoned warehouse district :wink:

Oh, drop me a PM, and maybe together we can figure out a way to get the signature line images you had up before to work out the way you'd like them to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:06 pm
Poor, TC. She's getting many good advise, but I think it's beginning to be a little overwhelming. A good way to learn English is to study your dictionary, starting with "a." I use the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, and in the front section is "A Brief History of the English Language" by Morton W. Bloomfield. It's quite comprehensive, and answers many questions you may have. That's followed by "The Indo-European Origin of English" written by Calvert Watkins. The third section, "Good Usage, Bad Usage, and Usage" by Morris Bishop. It follows with "Dialects of English, "The Spelling and Pronunciation of English," "Computers in Language Analysis and in Lexicography," and "Guide to the Dictionary." Good luck. c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:20 pm
Another convenient source of some "Answers" is the "Helpful Links" page of this Forum:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3364
0 Replies

Turkish-Chick

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:54 pm
thanks for your advices, they will really help me!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:59 pm
Advice that will really help is a reminder: the creator of today's written Turkish was the late military strongman Mustafa Kemal, who decreed in the 1930s that anyone who doesn't pronounce Western letters exactly as they appear gets shot at dawn.

Prior to the 1930s the Turkic peoples (illiterate nomads when they started wandering westwards) had to use Arabic script in the absence of writing of their own.

English, like all Western languages, evolved over millenia without threats of execution following mispronunciations or mis-spellings - otherwise most of us here would be long gone <G>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:15 pm
I would have been one of the first one to disappear. Wink c.i.
Hi, Ms HofT, Haven't seen you around in awhile. c.i.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 02:05 pm
HofT -- I think you're being a little harsh on Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. But, in essence, you're correct. The reason Turkish is so phonetic as a written language is because it's still very new. The Roman letters now used to transcribe the sounds of spoken Turkish have been in use only since the 1930s. Arabic script was used prior to that. Spoken Turkish hasn't changed very much since that time. English, on the other hand, has changed tremendously since Shakespeare's day in the way which many words are pronounced. At one time English spelling also tended to be phonetic. We can infer how certain words were pronounced in the late Middle Ages just by seeing how Chaucer, say, spelled them. But, for better or for worse, English spelling got 'regularized' in the early 19th Century and we've been living with that disaster ever since.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:20 pm
Hi back, C.I., was out of the country and am leaving again tomorrow, so can't post much - however do follow Lola's Salon thread. Always nice to see you!

Andrew - nice to see you too. Sadly our factual information seems to have discouraged the original poster from further inquiries on the origins of the English language <G>
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
Idly reviewing some posts - and btw, whatever happened to this turkey who was using pic of a young girl as avatar? English grammar discouraged him from further inquiries??!
0 Replies