Blood checkup, down a couple of pints. Huh?

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:09 pm
The following is an edited email from my sister. Anybody have experience with that sort of thing?

Finally saw the doctor yesterday morning. Was I in for a surprise with this visit? Oh yes, I was. When I got there, they immediately drew blood to run their tests. The Dr. came in the room with the results. He says, "I don't know why but, the tests show that you've lost 2 units of blood since the last blood work up we did on you last year!" Very surprising. He wrote up some paperwork that he gave me and said, "I want you to go immediately to the hospital where they will cross match your blood and give you a blood transfusion, ASAP." Never had that done before. At least now I know why I've been so tired for so long.

So, yesterday at noon, I was at the hospital getting taken care of by the hospital. They also ran a CT scan on my stomach. I was finally released at around 7:30 PM and my husband took me home. I have to go back to the doctor's office and have blood drawn again to see how the new blood is working itself into my system. Then next week, I go in for another check up to see how I'm doing, plus, find out the results of the X-Rays. Keep them prayers going, please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 12,007 • Replies: 35
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:52 pm
I won't draw any conclusions from this Edgar but please keep us posted! I'll "down a couple of pints" in your honor.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:56 pm
Er... never heard of this before.... Good wishes to all involved.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
There's only one way to explain this Edgar.

VAMPIRES !!!!!!!!aaaaahhhhhh

oh wait it's Thanksgiving. halloween was last month.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
I've heard of the body being unable to maunfacture enough blood, but the reasons for it escape me.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:28 pm
Strange. Sounds like it could be serious. The blood had to go somwhere right. Isn't that a hemorage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
There was a period of one year between tests, so I would take it the process is a slow one, at least for now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:11 pm
My guess is that her problem is anemia. Red cells are being lost (probably to internal bleeding) and not being replaced.

I don't know how the doctor could figure that two units of blood were missing--seems to me as though anyone missing two units of blood would be powerfully thirsty--but the tests would show that red cells, white cells and platelets were missing and these could be replaced through transfusion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
She is most probably anemic, Edgar. It could be from internal bleeding or it could just be from another cause altogether. There are different types of anemia. The CT scan will show whether she has any GI bleeding or if they need to search for a different cause. In the meantime the two units they gave her will perk her up quit a bit, I'd imagine.

The tests they ran probably included a red blood cell count, white blood cell count, platelet count, hematocrit, and hemoglobin. The rbc count and h&h are used to assess anemia. These counts must have indicated that she would need about two units of blood to bring her back to a normal range. The dr will probably continue to moniter her rbc and h&h values to see if she is continuing to lose red cells (or if she's stopped producing enough of them on her own).

I hope she's feeling better now, Edgar. I'll keep her in my thoughts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
How old is she? I got very anemic one set of years when I had a bleeding fibroid, which was, when discovered, excised fairly easily. I was as anemic as hell by the time they found it.

I've never heard of anyone being told they are two pints down, but I suppose it follows as j_b said, as a way to describe anemia to a patient.

in any case, I opened up quick reply just to say be sure to speak with J_b...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
My sister is about 57 (maybe 58).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
Well, I hate to ask personal questions of her through you, and besides, I'm no md. Glad they caught it, whatever is going on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
Hopefully she will be all right. This is uncharted territory to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:42 pm
It could also be something like a bleeding ulcer. Again - none of my business, but glad she's been seen.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
wow guy scary stuff
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
Blood checkup
Yes, but wouldn't a bleeding ulcer or other hemorrhage manifest itself quite visibly? Anemia from some other cause would be more likely, I would think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:12 am
You can often tell anemia from other causes by looking at a blood smear...

well, we don't know. Wishing her well, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:17 am
I don't expect any news before Friday or Monday.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:57 am
Leukemia can also cause this pheneomenon. I wish her the best!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:29 am
Is there any news, Edgar? I'm not trying to pry, just hoping all is well.
0 Replies