Sculpture by hebba

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:43 pm
A lucky happenstance to have that wood lying around waiting.

Would we know any of the claymation? The first claymation I saw was called "Closed Mondays". I'd like to see it again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:56 pm
Finally taking the time to go through the site properly. No hope in Hades so far that i'll be able to i.d. a favourite. Definitely something i'd have to touch to 'know'.

I've collected some treen that is very touchable because of years of wear - something special about touchable wood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
errrrrrr, so what i'm saying is - there's something special about your work, because (to me) it seems so touchable
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 01:51 am
Thanks ehBeth.I think the word you´re looking for is tactile.Polished wood has that effect on most people but it´s very annoying when everybody insists on touching the stuff.Gets very dirty and rough after a while.You wanna touch,you gotta buy!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 05:40 am
and that's why my house is full of things i need to touch and pottery that looks 'friendly' to me - i just had to buy them.

I don't often have the same kind of reaction to painting as i do to sculputure and pottery - no craving to touch. the dimensions make all the difference in my feeling about the objects.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 06:08 am
Tis a shame you live in Toronto!!For me I mean.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 06:27 am
luckily for everyone, i'm not glued anywhere! Very Happy
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 06:54 am
Well,if you ever make it over here,remember to bring lots of cash.
Piffka,you haven´t seen any of the animation.It´s all on Super8mm.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:04 am
Oh. OK.

What are you working on now? More of the relief?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:07 am
A couple of reliefs,one the same size as #3 and a small one in oak.
Have got four other pieces on the go too.Lots to occupy myself with when I´m away from able2know!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:16 am
Oh yes.

Oak must be extremely difficult to work with. Is it green? It would have to be, I guess, for you to even get a knife or chisel (or drill or whatever you use) into it.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:20 am
It´s brown and seasoned and not that difficult to work Piffka.Walnut is tougher.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:40 am
Hmmm. That's good. I'd heard it was so hard, one of the hardest. Have you ever tried ironwood... it comes from Mexico?

The hard woods provide the best medium because they can give such a smooth final finish?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 03:35 pm
Have never tried ironwood.
Hard woods are good because of their resistance.The "final finish" is becoming less and less important to me but they do indeed polish better than softer woods.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 04:12 pm
I'll have to think about that... the final finish no longer so important? Is that because the design means more?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:29 am
The form.If the form sucks then no amount polishing is going to save it.
I have to get away from high polished stuff for my own development.
There are of course,many factors involved that are very important.
A beautiful finish is the last on the list I believe.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:18 am
Oh. I grew up in a house designed and built by a sculptress, but I obviously didn't absorb anything! All I can even think of that would be important are the design and the finish.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:10 pm
Hebba, I too am having a difficult time understanding why you don't consider the finish important unless, for your own aesthetic, you don't want to be seduced by something beautifully finished that otherwise doesn't meet your standards. Or, could it be that, if a piece you're not happy with is finished, you might be tempted to sell it, thereby having some of your work in the public eye that doesn't meet your standards?

When I first went through your site, I mentioned that wood was one of my favorites because of the feel of it. Like so many others, it is that sensuous aspect of carvings or sculpture that is irresistably appealing.

Once, while going through the Yale Art Gallery, I reached out to touch a piece without thinking. Luckily, the guard didn't shoot me on the spot, but kindly and firmly said, "Please do not touch." She said that it is a fairly common impulse, which was why she kept a very close eye on that room.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:58 pm
sculpture by hebba
Good God Woman, you are GOOD! I adore beautiful wood, and you certainly know how to make beautiful wood even more so!!
CHEERS :wink:
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:03 pm
HEBBA'S SCULPTURE
But, Hebba - That would be IF the form is not up to snuff, THEN no amount of polish can cover up a lack of beautiful shape, or formation - is this what you are saying? Your work, surely does not lack in the form department, and if it does - you must explain to me WHY? Something that is so pleasing to the eye cannot be an example of a lack of form, can it???
0 Replies