Sculpture by hebba

hebba

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:31 am
OK,untitled X was originally a piece of what looked like firewood with a curve.I thought of a form that could accentuate the curve and carved it.The carving followed (roughly) the original shape of the chunk and voila.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:34 am
Oh really? Cool. That one is awfully nice.

I also like Untitled VIII:

http://imms.info/default.asp?path={D42BBA35-79F7-4344-8EDD-47463E581B11}&mypageID={ED8BFCFB-9F40-4991-997D-B6899BB1D653}
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:38 am
The grain on that one is hypnotic! Check out the one I like the most, I don't think it's in the page 1-8 menu but it's in the gallery. The bottom right.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:41 am
I like http://imms.info/dialog.asp?DialogID=ViewPicture&id={B907DD73-4D13-4C78-AF2F-6E469BFC945E} the best. It reminds me of a mother and child!

In the gallery, it's the middle one in the 2nd row.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:43 am
The face and arm, Craven? Yeah, that's cool.

I think I like the smooth, unfettered forms better, though.

Phoenix, yup, that's "Untitled VIII", that I mention above.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:50 am
This sounds like more informed commentary than I made on Raven's Realm, but my enthusiasm is undiminished. And I'm glad you brought it over here to an active site.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 04:52 am
Gosh people,I´m starting to blush here!So far you´ve responded beautifully.I´m waiting for "what´s this trash doing here?"However your views are making me smile.Thankyou all.
Craven,you surprise me with your admiration for "Armen".It´s a very early piece I was once happy about but now I think it´s passé.My personal favourite is the two piece white number (untitled V).I really must give these things names don´t you think?A friend of mine set up the site and just slapped the roman numerals on.
hebba
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:05 pm
Yup, names are very important to me!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
Very sexy. I love wood and clean simple lines. The whorls of the wood used to the max similar use as in Ming Dynasty furniture. The wood enhances the piece.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 09:15 am
Fantastic! :-D

Now I feel like carefully inspecting the pile of firewood for hidden treasures....

In all seriousness, you are extraordinarily talented, and these are excellent pieces. I think I like VIII the best; can't quite figure out why.

Many thanks for directing me here, hebba!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 10:19 pm
Hebba, I just made it to this site--so glad it found it!!
Your work is beautiful. I love the sensuousness of wood, the feel of it and the great lines.
You have an extraordinary talent.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 12:44 pm
Going back to the gallery and looking at the sculptures again, I still can't decide which one I like best.

V appeals to me because of how the grain is placed.

There is VI, Smoothly polished on the inside, with the contrast of the rough exterior. The center band, gives it a sense of wholeness.

Like many others, I like VIII, because it looks like a mother and child, with graceful, soft lines. I would want VII as well if I got VII, because it is masculine and the two pieces seem to go together.

IX, the fish, is beautiful, with a touch of whimsy. The way the tail flares up gives it a feeling of movement and freedom. It is a piece that I would want in our place in Florida.

If I really had to choose, it would be VI. I love the contrast of the elegant, polished interior with the unfinished exterior.

Now you know how difficult it is for me to make up my mind! What I really want to do is touch them. I love the feel of wood, the sense it imparts of being a living thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:01 pm
I can't get past the red x's tonight. Will try again tomorrow..
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 10:25 am
Oh, I love wood! These are wonderfully organic pieces... Everbody seems to have their favorites but I was most drawn to IV. It looks like a loving couple to me. I'm sure these would feel so smooth if we could touch them.

Elm and Walnut? Those are very hard woods, difficult to control, yet you've done excellent work. Wish there were more.

The relief pieces? Are those wood that has been bleached or some sort of concrete?

Very cool, anyway, I'm impressed. Now the "date" with Henry Moore makes more sense!!!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 10:30 am
Thankee thankee Piffka.The reliefs are painted wood.There are loads more but I need some decent photos before I put them onto the site.Relief photos are lousy I´m sorry-decent photographer on the way over here I hope.
P.S. They ARE very very smooth.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 10:37 am
I'll look forward to seeing more. I tried to show you an image from some Pacific NW Native art... the reliefs look like abstract forms of their detail. However the URL got in my way. Oh well.

So how did you get from Geology to this? And with claymation inbetween???
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 05:55 am
I meandered a lot.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:21 am
Lovely, harmonious woody things, hebba!
I'm curious: I see you're a "self taught" sculptor & have a geography/geology background. What led you to here? And to clay animation?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:07 am
Let´s see.
I never really intended to use my education for anything specific.I´d always been creative.Started the animation as a teenager but took it up properly here in Denmark.I rented studio space to make the films and was surrounded by blocks of wood which had been abandoned by the previous tenant.I thought:
"Hmm I could do something with this wood."
I bought a mallet and some gouges and started.I haven´t stopped!
So,coincidence bought me here.Crazy stuff,really.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 04:00 pm
hebba

No, not crazy .... Inspired!
Congratulations on what you've achieved in your adventurous journey (so far - many twists & turns to come yet, no doubt!).
0 Replies