Bush wanted to bomb Al-Jazeera

Fedral

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You don't have conspiracy laws then?

Talking about killing someone isn't a crime.

Paying someone to do it, is.

Ordering someone to do it, is.

The President may have thought it, he may have asked if it could be done, he may have wanted to do it in his heart of hearts (Although I doubt it) , but when it came down to it ...
He talked to his friend who calmed him down and told him it was a bad idea to think about doing such a thing.

No crime, no foul.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:30 pm
Fedral wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Didn't know that - thanks - since it's different here:

(German) Criminal Code (StGB)

Quote:
§ 32, 2
Whoever declares his willingness, whoever accepts the offer of another, or whoever agrees with another to commit or incite the commission of a serious criminal offense, shall be similarly punished.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Fedral wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
§ 32, 2
Whoever declares his willingness, whoever accepts the offer of another, or whoever agrees with another to commit or incite the commission of a serious criminal offense, shall be similarly punished.

Christ, if we had laws like that where I grew up in Newark, New Jersey, most of the guys I grew up with (Myself included) would have been in prison for many of the conversations (Shooting the breeze) we had while hanging around the corner.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Looking at what the Mirror usually published, I have my sincere doubts that the story really is true - there have been too many hoaxes before.

However, if this story really is untrue and White House (and Downing Street) come out now to comment that will do little to convince many in the Middle East.

you're probably right, although i'm not sure what harm it will do to atttempt damage control, for the benefit of however many moderates there may be in the Middle East.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Fedral wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
§ 32, 2

You have to have an agreement for conspiracy, but here you have to take an overt step in furtherance of the conspiracy in order to have a crime.

Maybe all those people are in German jails? :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
You get probation for that - in the worst case.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:56 pm
yitwail wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Looking at what the Mirror usually published, I have my sincere doubts that the story really is true - there have been too many hoaxes before.

However, if this story really is untrue and White House (and Downing Street) come out now to comment that will do little to convince many in the Middle East.

you're probably right, although i'm not sure what harm it will do to atttempt damage control, for the benefit of however many moderates there may be in the Middle East.

This is the kind of thing that INFURIATES me.

Someone hears a totally ludicrous story about America or President Bush.

They decide to print it because 'everyone knows' how evil America and her President are so the story MUST be true.

The story is printed.

The Arab world and the far Left go bonkers about the accusations.

America and the President deny it as total fabrication.

The story is given a second look by many and determined that it probably wasn't true in the first place.

The Arab World and the foaming Left refuse to believe it can't be true since America/Bush are Satan.

The Right and Moderates are left shaking their heads until the next pack of lies and gossip comes out.

This is the current cycle of the news media today.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:00 pm
Freedom of the press?

(Btw: 42 per cent of the adult UK population read one of the papers of the the 'Mirror Group' Trinity Mirror.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Remember the "flushing the Quran down the toilet" nonsense?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Remember the "flushing the Quran down the toilet" nonsense?

Please, don't remind me of that steaming pile of printed bulls$#t that was printed all over the world.

All those people dead from lies.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Fedral wrote:

since you quoted me, was i infuriating you, or was it just my observation that a White House denial would be dismissed in much of the Middle East? earlier, i had said that the White House ought to deny this, so i think we're on the same page but i'm not sure.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:15 pm
Well, we do have a problem in that our president is so publicly a horse's ass that stories like this seem utterly believable. This is partly a media problem, but partly the side effect of having elected a horse's ass to president.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:16 pm
You think this has the same quality? A misunderstood five-page transcript of a conversation?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:23 pm
Not sure I understand what you mean, Walter. You mean do I think it's not true? I don't know if it is or not but I'll wait to find out. In the mean time, folks seem to be upset that people are willing to believe it's true and I'm just pointing out why it's so believable.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:29 pm
The Brits have indicted the alleged leaker. They're taking the whole thing very seriously. The guy was apparently placed high enough to have material of that sort. Several unnamed (of course--that's how it works these days) sources seem to confirm the conversation did take place. One says it was joking. The other says it was deadly serious. So it seems pretty likely something did indeed go on, even if the report appeared first in a tabloid. So all you guys who're calling it "lies" are being kind of knee-jerk about it.

From msnbc:
'Peter Kilfoyle, a former defense minister in Blair's government, called for the document to be made public.

"I think they ought to clarify what exactly happened on this occasion," he said. "If it was the case that President Bush wanted to bomb Al-Jazeera in what is after all a friendly country, it speaks volumes and it raises questions about subsequent attacks that took place on the press that wasn't embedded with coalition forces," the newspaper quoted Kilfoyle as saying.

Worrying memo?
Sir Menzies Campbell, foreign affairs spokesman for the opposition Liberal Democrats, said Tuesday that, if true, the memo was worrying.

"If true, then this underlines the desperation of the Bush administration as events in Iraq began to spiral out of control," he said. "On this occasion, the prime minister may have been successful in averting political disaster, but it shows how dangerous his relationship with President Bush has been."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10153489
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
Link to the original report in the Independent (now archived):

Quote:
Two charged over leak of Blair-Bush conversation on conflict

By Jason Bennetto and Ben Russell
Published: 18 November 2005

A civil servant has been charged with trying to leak a transcript of a confidential and controversial conversation between Tony Blair and George Bush about the Iraq war.

A document containing a transcript of a conversation between the two leaders was sent to a rebel Labour MP, allegedly in an attempt to cause Mr Blair embarrassment over Iraq.

But the MP returned the document to Downing Street, who called in the Metropolitan Police's Special Branch to investigate.

The transcript of the conversation, understood to have taken place in a face-to-face meeting in the US, is believed to reveal that Mr Blair disagreed with Mr Bush about aspects of the war in Iraq.

The document also revealed details that, if disclosed, could have endangered the lives of British troops.

A civil servant at the Cabinet Office is accused of sending the document to a former researcher for a Labour MP. The civil servant and the researcher were charged yesterday under the Official Secrets Act with unlawfully obtaining a confidential document about sensitive international relations.

The MP, Tony Clarke, who had rebelled on the issue of Iraq, claims he immediately contacted the authorities when, as he alleges, his researcher gave him the document in April or May last year. Mr Clarke, who lost his seat of Northampton South at the general election earlier this year, told The Independent: "My researcher was worried about the content of the report and did entirely the right thing.

"Having read the document, I realised it was highly sensitive and it was clear the lives of British troops would have been under threat if it had been made public. As a consequence, I placed it in the hands of the authorities."

David Keogh, 49, a communications officer at the Cabinet Office, is accused of sending the document to Mr Clarke's researcher, Leo O'Connor, 42, between 16 April and 28 May 2004.

It is understood Mr Keogh had been on secondment at the Cabinet Office from the Foreign Office at the time of the alleged offence. Mr O'Connor will be accused of giving the document to his MP at his constituency office in Northampton.

In August last year, Mr O'Connor was arrested at an address in Northamptonshire in connection with investigations into alleged breaches of the Official Secrets Act 1989. He was later bailed. Mr Keogh was held the following month. The two men could be jailed for up to two years if they are found guilty.

Both men were released on police bail yesterday to appear at Bow Street magistrates' court on 29 November.

Mr Keogh, from Northampton, is charged under section 3 of the Act which makes it an offence if a crown servant, without lawful authority, makes a damaging disclosure of information or a document relating to international relations.

Mr O'Connor is charged under section 5 of the Act, which makes it illegal to have come into the possession of government information, or a document from a crown servant, and if that person discloses it without lawful authority.

Mr Clarke, a former left-wing councillor, chaired the Northampton Town Football Supporters' Trust. He entered Parliament for the normally safe Tory seat of Northampton South in 1997, unseating the Tory deputy speaker Michael Morris.

He was a low-profile figure, although he rebelled against the whips 11 times during his two terms in Parliament. He served on the Commons Northern Ireland Affairs Committee, which scrutinised the work of the Northern Ireland Office between 1999 and the 2005 election.

A civil servant has been charged with trying to leak a transcript of a confidential and controversial conversation between Tony Blair and George Bush about the Iraq war.

A document containing a transcript of a conversation between the two leaders was sent to a rebel Labour MP, allegedly in an attempt to cause Mr Blair embarrassment over Iraq.

But the MP returned the document to Downing Street, who called in the Metropolitan Police's Special Branch to investigate.

The transcript of the conversation, understood to have taken place in a face-to-face meeting in the US, is believed to reveal that Mr Blair disagreed with Mr Bush about aspects of the war in Iraq.

The document also revealed details that, if disclosed, could have endangered the lives of British troops.

A civil servant at the Cabinet Office is accused of sending the document to a former researcher for a Labour MP. The civil servant and the researcher were charged yesterday under the Official Secrets Act with unlawfully obtaining a confidential document about sensitive international relations.

The MP, Tony Clarke, who had rebelled on the issue of Iraq, claims he immediately contacted the authorities when, as he alleges, his researcher gave him the document in April or May last year. Mr Clarke, who lost his seat of Northampton South at the general election earlier this year, told The Independent: "My researcher was worried about the content of the report and did entirely the right thing.

"Having read the document, I realised it was highly sensitive and it was clear the lives of British troops would have been under threat if it had been made public. As a consequence, I placed it in the hands of the authorities."

David Keogh, 49, a communications officer at the Cabinet Office, is accused of sending the document to Mr Clarke's researcher, Leo O'Connor, 42, between 16 April and 28 May 2004.
It is understood Mr Keogh had been on secondment at the Cabinet Office from the Foreign Office at the time of the alleged offence. Mr O'Connor will be accused of giving the document to his MP at his constituency office in Northampton.

In August last year, Mr O'Connor was arrested at an address in Northamptonshire in connection with investigations into alleged breaches of the Official Secrets Act 1989. He was later bailed. Mr Keogh was held the following month. The two men could be jailed for up to two years if they are found guilty.

Both men were released on police bail yesterday to appear at Bow Street magistrates' court on 29 November.

Mr Keogh, from Northampton, is charged under section 3 of the Act which makes it an offence if a crown servant, without lawful authority, makes a damaging disclosure of information or a document relating to international relations.

Mr O'Connor is charged under section 5 of the Act, which makes it illegal to have come into the possession of government information, or a document from a crown servant, and if that person discloses it without lawful authority.

Mr Clarke, a former left-wing councillor, chaired the Northampton Town Football Supporters' Trust. He entered Parliament for the normally safe Tory seat of Northampton South in 1997, unseating the Tory deputy speaker Michael Morris.

He was a low-profile figure, although he rebelled against the whips 11 times during his two terms in Parliament. He served on the Commons Northern Ireland Affairs Committee, which scrutinised the work of the Northern Ireland Office between 1999 and the 2005 election.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
Update...

Al-Jazeera urges probe into report of Bush plot to bomb TV station

Quote:
DOHA (AFX) - The Arab satellite channel Al-Jazeera urged the White House and Downing Street today to challenge a UK newspaper report that US President George W. Bush had planned to bomb the Qatar-based station.

'We sincerely urge both the White House and Downing Street to challenge the Daily Mirror report,' the Qatar-based network said in a statement.

The UK tabloid newspaper, citing a Downing Street memo marked 'Top Secret', reported today that UK Prime Minister Tony Blair had talked Bush out of launching a military strike on the station.

'Before making any conclusions, Al-Jazeera needs to be absolutely sure regarding the authenticity of the memo and would hope for a confirmation from Downing Street as soon as possible,' it
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:36 pm
No crime, no foul. Just another insane Bushie daydream. Blair okd Shock & Awe but drew the line on this one.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:01 pm
Fedral wrote:

Someone hears a totally ludicrous story about America or President Bush.

They decide to print it because 'everyone knows' how evil America and her President are so the story MUST be true.

The story is printed.

The Arab world and the far Left go bonkers about the accusations.

America and the President deny it as total fabrication.

The story is given a second look by many and determined that it probably wasn't true in the first place.

The Arab World and the foaming Left refuse to believe it can't be true since America/Bush are Satan.

The Right and Moderates are left shaking their heads until the next pack of lies and gossip comes out.

This is the current cycle of the news media today.

It works, of course, both ways. Like, in the run-up to the Iraq war.....

Someone heard a totally ludicrous story about Iraq or Saddam Hussein - something like "Iraq attempted to obtain processed uranium from Africa".

They decided to print it because 'everyone knew' how evil Iraq and its President were so the story HAD TO be true.

The story was printed.

The Western world and the far Right went bonkers about the accusations.

Iraq and its President denied it as total fabrication.

The story was given a second look by many and determined that it probably hadn't been true in the first place.

The Western World and the foaming Right refused to believe it can't be true since Iraq/Saddam were Satan.

The Left and Moderates were left shaking their heads until the next pack of lies and gossip came out.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:29 pm
GWB (Go Write Bushit) can't stand the truth only his 'truth'.
0 Replies