The Defense of Christmas

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:15 pm
Quote:
What's with the "we" sh!t? You got a mouse in your pocket?

The question was obviously directed at christians
...do you have trouble with your pronouns?
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:19 pm
Ma... the following mighjt be worth a read......

From the conclusion of a longish, well-researched essay written many years ago by one Marshal Gauvin:

Quote:
... The Jesus Christ of the Gospels could not possibly have been a real person. He is a combination of impossible elements. There may have lived in Palestine, nineteen centuries ago, a man whose name was Jesus, who went about doing good, who was followed by admiring associates, and who in the end met a violent death. But of this possible person, not a line was written when he lived, and of his life and character the world of to-day knows absolutely nothing. This Jesus, if he lived, was a man; and if he was a reformer, he was but one of many that have lived and died in every age of the world ...
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:23 pm
Ma.
The site for the full essay

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/marshall_gauvin/did_jesus_really_live.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:02 am
Been there, done that lightfoot. Thanx.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:54 am
lightfoot wrote:
Ma... the following mighjt be worth a read......

From the conclusion of a longish, well-researched essay written many years ago by one Marshal Gauvin ...

If you wanna quote me, you oughtta at least Provide a cite :wink:

Now, that post is an addendum to This One, which more or less was a repost from This Earlier Post of Mine.

The short version of the point is there is no conclusive historical evidence for the existence of the person of the Biblical Jesus, while there is considerable evidence to the contrary. Its an unresolved question in the minds of some, others are convinced one way or the other. Personally, I'm of the unresolved camp, leaning toward scepticism.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:01 am
The current Atlantic Monthly has a very interesting article "Is God an Accident?" which summarized recent research that "God" may be a construct of the human brain.

Unfortunately, access is by subscription only, but the article is worth the price of the issue.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:45 pm
Shouldnt the pagans have right to sue the Christians for stealing their Holy Day?
Sinc it was orginally the birth the day of the Pagan Sun god as opposed to the birth day of the son of God.
So its kind hypocritical for Christian folk to be bashing secularist who wanna celebrate that time of year for not acknowledging it is the time Christ was born.
I would find it offensive if my family got my birthday wrong and celebrate it two months late
If Farwell has got any sense he would sort that out first.

Pagans have rights too !!
I say give back christams day to the pagans!!!

Am gonna make some wrist bands saying 'Xmas = Sun god not Son of God'
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
Should one take to account the shepherds and lambs purportedly operative within the Nativity Myth, one is forced to deduce a springtime date for the alleged event - as that is when lambs occur. By December, the critters are not lambs, they are well past weaning and approaching full development. Yearlings would be but a couple-3 months older, and capable of breeding.. Veal perhaps, but not lambs.

As to pagan claim to original ownership of the celebration, I suspect the festivities predate even the concept of religion ... though its not unreasonable to assume observation and marking of equinoxes had much to do with the invention of religion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 01:38 pm
Not able to find the word 'lamb' associated with the birth of Jesus in any of the gospels.

But you are quite right that the birth could not have taken place in December, when shepherds would not have been outdoors with their flocks at night.

So folks, have a slappy Saturnalia!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:25 pm
Many believe that Jesus was actually born in April or later. December 25th was adopted much later.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
I never believed that Jesus' literal birthday was December 25. I have always understood that it was symbolic of His birth. It's a specific day that we have set aside to celebrated His birth. It's like when we recognize someone's birthday.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
Quote:
Veal perhaps, but not lambs.

Spring lamb dressed like mutton, perhaps, but not veal.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
Well, the lastest crises it seems now for those who would defend and sue for Christmas would be the President himself. That horrible "Happy Holidays" greeting has reared it's ugly head from the Head of State. I wonder if this warrants impeachment? This doesn't bode well for those who think we need to use "Merry Christmas" as we celebrate the Holidays!

This is a sure sign we're all going to hell now!!

By the way, we're hanging the tree upside down from the ceiling this year so we can get more presents under it!! I'm shooting for a new hybrid car.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:33 pm
Guess that just goes to show that some will never be satisfied. He didn't use Merry Christmas and you're not happy about that?

I'm a Christian. I understand what he did. Don't you?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Guess that just goes to show that some will never be satisfied. He didn't use Merry Christmas and you're not happy about that?

I'm a Christian. I understand what he did. Don't you?

Momma, I'm just going to let this one sit and float for a while Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:39 pm
No problem Steve. I meant it in a joking manner, I assure you.

I just meant that I understand he was trying to do what he thought was right for everyone.
0 Replies