The Defense of Christmas

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:52 pm
Christmas has come under attack, and thank goddness we have Jerry Farwell to defend it for us.

"Evangelical Christian pastor Jerry Falwell has a message for Americans when it comes to celebrating Christmas this year: You're either with us, or you're against us. "

Does that sound familiar?

Does that mean that those who say Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa are being Anti-Christmas. Are they in danger of being sued by the Liberty Counsel or the Alliance Defense Fund??

"Or boycott. The American Family Association called Thursday for a Thanksgiving weekend shunning of Target stores, saying the chain was refusing to allow the phrase "Merry Christmas" on in-store promotions and advertising. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/11/20/MNGVDFRH081.DTL

It makes me wonder just how far the Christians will go to make sure we all convert to their faith ... or else.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,750 • Replies: 115
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
We have as society surpassed the true meaning of christmas a long time ago, and today it is all about tradition and how the
families individually want to celebrate christmas, hanukkah,
or kwanzaa.

As long as we don't buy into what a Jerry Falwell says,
we're ahead of the game.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
We have as society surpassed the true meaning of christmas a long time ago, and today it is all about tradition and how the
families individually want to celebrate christmas, hanukkah,
or kwanzaa.

As long as we don't buy into what a Jerry Falwell says,
we're ahead of the game.

Christmas, exactly what is that? It's not his birthday, that's already a well proven fact.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Stevepax,

Christmas is symbolic of the birth of Christ in that He is a gift to the world.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
Apropos of nothing, really - just happened to be reminded of This old chestnut
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Stevepax,

Christmas is symbolic of the birth of Christ in that He is a gift to the world.

Not according to all the other religions of the world. When I open my shop to customers, why do I face a possible lawsuit because I say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:30 pm
Screw Falwel and anybody who would halt this day. I am an atheist, and I celebrate Christmas as a favorite day of the year.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:30 pm
Stevepax,

Well, the fact that you might possibly be sued for that is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. But then again, so many are sued for such stupid things nowadays. I have no problem with the Happy Holidays sign.

My point was what the original reason for Christmas being about Christ's birth.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Screw Falwel and anybody who would halt this day. I am an atheist, and I celebrate Christmas as a favorite day of the year.

I in no way mean not to celebrate Christmas. It's just appropriate to acknowledge that their are other religious celebrations going on the same time!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:33 pm
Define "original." ;-)
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Stevepax,

Well, the fact that you might possibly be sued for that is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. But then again, so many are sued for such stupid things nowadays. I have no problem with the Happy Holidays sign.

My point was what the original reason for Christmas being about Christ's birth.

Pagans were celebrating winter festivals for many different reasons. They didn't even know of Jesus Christ. Hanukkah was certainly long before Christmas, and it's at the same time of year. In fact, it appears moreso that the Christians have stolen the time of the celebration from all these other religious practices. From what I understand, Jesus was more likely born in September.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Apropos of nothing, really - just happened to be reminded of This old chestnut

I went back and looked at that, then thinking the link led to another, farther back topic, i selected it. Then it just came back to this one. Is that how it works? Neat cross referencing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:52 pm
I have no quarrel with the celebrating of these other holidays. The more the merrier.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
I love the holidys. It's a good reason to keep the shop open. I'm just a little appalled the Christians have taken the offensive in a legal way. I thought they hated lawyers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:18 pm
Stevepax,

I said it was symbolic. I didn't say it was celebrated as the exact date of his birth.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:38 am
Christmas is a collection of pagan celebrations that the Christians hijacked for their own. It's comical if you really think about it Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:36 am
Stevepax,

Comical? How do you find it comical?

What pains me about it is the symbolism of it being Christ's birthday is what is supposed to be important. Unfortunately, it seems it has just become commercialized to the extreme IMO.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
Watch Christmas with the Kranks. Funny movie.

Christmas has become a commercial holiday anyway. No one celebrates it as Jesus' birthday. They all celebrate it as the day with mile long credit card bills and a contest of who got who the best gift.

People still attend christmas mass but let's face it folks. It ain't about Jesus anymore.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:12 am
Bella Dea,

Sadly, I agree with you 100%.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:38 pm
Stevepax - you should have the same respect for Christians celebrating Christmas as other religions celebrate their holidays. Falwell is an idiot; fortunately, he is not representative of all Christians. Your statements about Christians are as biased as Falwell comments.

And as far as suing because of saying or having a sign that says "Happy Holidays" is ludicrous. It is actually the opposite - we now have to hold holiday parties in the office - you cannot call anything Christmas at work or lawsuit. I honestly don't have a problem holding holiday parties vs. Christmas parties, I am just pointing out that the opposite is now occurring.

In fact, I plan on celebrating Festivas in order not to offend any group.
0 Replies