The Defense of Christmas

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
Define 'get in trouble'. Do you mean with the law, with their neighbors, with society? What kind of offense are you meaning?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
Diane--

Thanks for the kind words.

CoastalRat--

You've made my points very cogently. If someone wants to wish me a happy day, I'll thank them.

New Tentacle of the Tangent--

We've had "white backlash" and "male backlash" and now I think we're seeing a certain amount of Christian backlash from sincere churchgoers who are disturbed about a multitude of changes and shortcomings in modern life.

Remember Orwell's Animal Farm ? "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 06:52 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Diane--

Thanks for the kind words.

CoastalRat--

You've made my points very cogently. If someone wants to wish me a happy day, I'll thank them.

New Tentacle of the Tangent--

We've had "white backlash" and "male backlash" and now I think we're seeing a certain amount of Christian backlash from sincere churchgoers who are disturbed about a multitude of changes and shortcomings in modern life.

Remember Orwell's Animal Farm ? "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Noddy, That is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, we never learned anything from the story.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:00 pm
Stevepax--

Like the devil, we can quote Scripture for our own purposes.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:48 am
Quote:
Define 'get in trouble'. Do you mean with the law, with their neighbors, with society? What kind of offense are you meaning?

how about aclu?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
... how about aclu?

Gesundheit. Care for a tissue?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:32 pm
timberlandko wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
... how about aclu?

Gesundheit. Care for a tissue?

I hate those sloppy sneezes Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:37 am
I'm just not up for another day on the aclu, georgeC did me in.

T-r32, the aclu will defend your civil rights along with everyone elses. Do you see a civil right being violated here?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Well, it just seems that no matter what anyone says that's offending, piques the interest of some radical group like the aclu.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
Wasn't a good part of the logic behind the separation of church and state to protect individuals from being forced to give financial support and ritual attendance to a faith they did not espouse?

I'd have more respect for Jerry Falwell and Bill O'Reilly if they urged Christians to be sure that the Pakastani earthquake victims had warm tents or the displaced people of New Orleans had Christmas dinners or every kid had a new toy and a bit of hope.

Nope, the 11th Commandment is evidently "Everyone Must Say 'Merry Christmas'."
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
Civil liberties are somthing that I completely stand for...but I think that the ACLU fairly defends them.
0 Replies

Philistar

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:46 am
Look at how time seems to stop on this one day of ther year,people take time to love each other, step out of the rat race for a moment. You can't quite work out why, but it's just such a wonderful time. Is it the food? Is it the presents? Isn't there something just extra magical about it that you can't quite put your finger on?
Christmas is an extraordinary and unparalelled celebration. The whole of creation tingles with joy at the Arrival of the Prince of Peace - a Saviour born to die for us. A cheque written by our father to pay off our debt. The name of Jesus still resounds across the globe at this one time of year even in places where the food presents lights and extravagance aren't there.

Being 'tolerant' of other religions is not a Biblical principle. We are called and commanded to LOVE other people. Each one of us is Precious Treasure. We should give outragously and serve each other all year round. But there is after all only one Truth. Truth is by essence and definition an absolute.

Merry Christmas, good will and peace to all men
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
Philistar wrote:

Christmas is an extraordinary and unparalelled celebration. The whole of creation tingles with joy at the Arrival of the Prince of Peace - a Saviour born to die for us. A cheque written by our father to pay off our debt. The name of Jesus still resounds across the globe at this one time of year even in places where the food presents lights and extravagance aren't there.

Except that Jesus wasn't born in December and Christmas is a holiday based on pagan traditions.

Philistar wrote:

Being 'tolerant' of other religions is not a Biblical principle. We are called and commanded to LOVE other people. Each one of us is Precious Treasure. We should give outragously and serve each other all year round. But there is after all only one Truth. Truth is by essence and definition an absolute.

Merry Christmas, good will and peace to all men

So, technically, if you are celebrating Jesus, shouldn't you celebrate Hanukkah? Jesus, was after all, a Jew.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:05 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Jesus, was after all, a Jew.

No . . . really ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:35 am
Setanta wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Jesus, was after all, a Jew.

No . . . really ? ! ? ! ?

Yeah! Can you believe it?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
Jesus was a Jew, true, but we don't follow the Jewish law...so technically, we don't celebrate hannakah.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:19 am
What's with the "we" sh!t? You got a mouse in your pocket?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
I liked it better when we decided to celebrate them all and just flake off and party from October to the end of April or so.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:52 am
Man, did we ever have some wild easter parties at the office.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
Stevepax wrote:
I liked it better when we decided to celebrate them all and just flake off and party from October to the end of April or so.

Me too.
0 Replies