The Defense of Christmas

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:53 am
slkshock7 wrote:

However, I'm not sure I see Target's position as neutral. It's like taking the traditions of Christmas (e.g. gift-giving) and intentionally ignoring the Christian roots. Somehow almost seems like plagiarism of a kind.

By saying only Merry Christmas, you are ignorning everyone else. What makes Christian's so special? Celebrate your faith any way you want. Allow others to do so as well. Keep public domains neutral. Plagiarism, how?? How is this doing anything other than including the other holiday's?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:01 am
Stores and shops are typically private enterprises or publicly held corporations. Policy is set by the shop owners or by their stockholders. Bella, you aren't really advocating legislation about this, are you?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
I think this whole thing about offending someone when you wish them Merry Christmas as opposed to Happy Holidays is just plain stupid. Frankly, I don't care if I offend someone or not, I'll continue to wish people a Merry Christmas. They are free to wish me a Happy whatever and it sure won't offend me. If Target employees wish me a Happy Holidays, so be it. Big deal. They are trying not to offend those who are small-minde and easily offended who choose to shop there. That is their choice. If someone chooses not to shop there because of it, big deal. That is their choice.

If someone chooses to be offended, tough. That is their choice to be offended. Makes no difference to me at all, nor do I care.

In conclusion, let me just take the time to wish y'all an early Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:10 am
J_B wrote:
Stores and shops are typically private enterprises or publicly held corporations. Policy is set by the shop owners or by their stockholders. Bella, you aren't really advocating legislation about this, are you?

No, not really.

I just feel like I should defend the side that is least defended. Like I said in another thread, this country is always revolving around Christians. It's time we thought about someone else for a change.

Whatever happens, happens. I ain't losing any sleep over it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I think this whole thing about offending someone when you wish them Merry Christmas as opposed to Happy Holidays is just plain stupid. .

I think so too, but I don't look at this as it being offending. I think it's just a matter of seperation of Chruch and State.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:20 am
State infers government, shops are private. The reason I keep butting in here, Bella, is that I sense you are trying to separate Church and Private which we can't do without bringing the government into the mix. I really, really, really, don't want to start seeing our legislators spending energy (money) on this.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:20 am
Bella Dea wrote:

I think so too, but I don't look at this as it being offending. I think it's just a matter of seperation of Chruch and State.

How do you see it as a matter of seperation of church and state? You seem to advocate forcing businesses to say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas. That is certainly not a seperation of church and state. That is the state telling private businesses to eliminate a particular religious reference from their establishment. Now, if it was a government owned business, then I could see your point. I would not agree with it, but I could see how you arrived at it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:27 am
How is that not including all religions?

Christmas is a Christian holiday. Saying "holiday" is pretty ambiguous. As much as you can get, at least for this particular time of year.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:28 am
J_B wrote:
State infers government, shops are private. The reason I keep butting in here, Bella, is that I sense you are trying to separate Church and Private which we can't do without bringing the government into the mix. I really, really, really, don't want to start seeing our legislators spending energy (money) on this.

So then, it would be ok to put up burning crosses on the lawn of Target because it's a private establishment? The KKK has a right to be heard this time of year.

I am playing devils advocate too. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
Only if it becomes ok for the KKK to burn crosses on our lawns. There are already hate laws in place to control actions of hatred. A shop owner saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or "Righteous Twaddle" is his choice and should affect his business only by how his patrons choose to react.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:39 am
Bella Dea wrote:
How is that not including all religions?

Christmas is a Christian holiday. Saying "holiday" is pretty ambiguous. As much as you can get, at least for this particular time of year.

Agreed that saying "holiday" is ambiguous. But government forcing a business establishment to say "holiday" is effectively stepping on the rights of a business owner to practice his religion.

I have been in the small shop owned by a Jewish couple and they have wished me a Happy Hanukkah. I'm not offended by that at all. I wish them a Merry Christmas. They haven't refused to do business with me because of it yet, nor have I refused to shop there.

I don't understand why so many people are so quick to get all bent out of shape over this. Is this what our society has become, that every word we speak, even those wishing others well, is subject to some idiot taking offense? We might as well just stop talking to each other in that case.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:43 am
I'm not bent out of shape. In fact, like I said, personally I couldn't care less.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:48 am
I didn't mean to infer that you personally are bent out of shape. I'm sure your are bent in exactly the right shape. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:51 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I didn't mean to infer that you personally are bent out of shape. I'm sure your are bent in exactly the right shape. Smile

Laughing Well, not so much lately....stupid pills....I think I am gaining weight by the minute. Laughing
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:54 am
Should christians get offended if someone says "happy hannakah"?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
Why would wishing someone happiness ever cause offense? I live in a predominately Jewish area. I hear "Happy New Year" all day long during Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. I just smile say thanks and Happy New Year to you too. They might as well be saying, "Have a happy Tuesday" from a religious standpoint to me, but I accept their wishes of happiness and return the favor. No offense intended, none taken.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
Wow, you guys went on quite the tangent. My only real point here was the thought that any religion (specifically the Christians who are behind the effort) could sue you and take you to court for not celebrating their faith. The issue wasn't really the idea of a boycott, or separation of church and state. I also tried to point out the Christian arrogance involved with trying to take over a time of year which was already known for many other religious and pagan celebrations long before they were even in existance.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
Tangents? On A2K? nah, not us :wink:
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
I know, perish the thought Smile
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:37 pm
Do people get in truoble if they try to offend, or if they do it on acciedent?
0 Replies