The Defense of Christmas

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Well, Linkat if we don't want to offend anyone, let's you and I throw the following parties: (we are going to be SO busy)

St Lucia's Day - Dec 13
Las Posadas - Dec 16
Hanukah -
Christmas - Dec 25
Boxing Day - Dec 26
Kwanzaa - Dec 26
Winter Solstice

Just to start. Any more so we don't offend anyone? :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
Please allow me to extend seasonaly appropriate platitudes, as may be not inconsistent with, pejorative of, or inimical to any particular culture, heritage, and/or preference, to one and all, with provision that any who wish may consider themselves exempt and exluded from this offering.

This offer, to the extent practical, shall be deemed modified to comply with any law or regulation relevant thereunto, except that it shall be void in its entirety where taxed, prohibited, or otherwise contrary to law or regulation. Please consult your local ordinances. Employ in moderation, and excersize care when using in conjunction with the operation of motor vehicles and/or other mechanical or electrical equipment. Discontinue use immediately and seek medical attention should a persistant rash, cough or other respiratory distress, nausea, disorientation, pain, or hair loss develop.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Please allow me to extend seasonaly appropriate platitudes, as may be not inconsistent with, pejorative of, or inimical to any particular culture, heritage, and/or preference, to one and all, with provision that any who wish may consider themselves exempt and exluded from this offering.

This offer, to the extent practical, shall be deemed modified to comply with any law or regulation relevant thereunto, except that it shall be void in its entirety where taxed, prohibited, or otherwise contrary to law or regulation. Please consult your local ordinances. Employ in moderation, and excersize care when using in conjunction with the operation of motor vehicles and/or other mechanical or electrical equipment. Discontinue use immediately and seek medical attention should a persistant rash, cough or other respiratory distress, nausea, disorientation, pain, or hair loss develop.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You should take that to Halmark.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:48 pm
December 23 - Festivus

There is even a book about this holiday:

http://www.chosencouture.com/images/products/festivus-l.jpg
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Stevepax,

Comical? How do you find it comical?

What pains me about it is the symbolism of it being Christ's birthday is what is supposed to be important. Unfortunately, it seems it has just become commercialized to the extreme IMO.

That's what makes it comical. The Christians have assigned all this importance to lets say "this time of year". The problem is that "this time of year" has always been associated by the pagans as party time, fun, games, and in lots of cases, lots of sex and alcohol. The Christians would have done better to pick their own holiday than try to spirit off someone elses.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:41 pm
Linkat wrote:
Stevepax - you should have the same respect for Christians celebrating Christmas as other religions celebrate their holidays. Falwell is an idiot; fortunately, he is not representative of all Christians. Your statements about Christians are as biased as Falwell comments.

And as far as suing because of saying or having a sign that says "Happy Holidays" is ludicrous. It is actually the opposite - we now have to hold holiday parties in the office - you cannot call anything Christmas at work or lawsuit. I honestly don't have a problem holding holiday parties vs. Christmas parties, I am just pointing out that the opposite is now occurring.

In fact, I plan on celebrating Festivas in order not to offend any group.

I haven't said anything biased about the Christians.

Falwell may be an idiot, but he is most certainly NOT alone.

"Falwell has put the power of his 24,000-member congregation behind the "Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign," an effort led by the conservative legal organization Liberty Counsel. The group promises to file suit against anyone who spreads what it sees as misinformation about how Christmas can be celebrated in schools and public spaces."

"The 8,000 members of the Christian Educators Association International will be the campaign's "eyes and ears" in the nation's public schools. They'll be reporting to 750 Liberty Counsel lawyers who are ready to pounce if, for example, a teacher is muzzled from leading the third-graders in "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

The Christians can do anything they want as long as they don't do it to my children. If they want to, they can construct a full scale nativity scene on their roof. Have at it. Just keep it on their property. Sing praises in church, not in my kids school. Let them keep their celebration to themselves as it fits them. and don't insist that I celebrate it with them. I don't make them celebrate my faith.

Most of all, don't boycott my store because I don't choose to celebrate a faith which isn't my own.

I'm sorry, but Happy Holidays will just have to do.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Now you've got the spirit. That's perfect.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:48 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Well, Linkat if we don't want to offend anyone, let's you and I throw the following parties: (we are going to be SO busy)

St Lucia's Day - Dec 13
Las Posadas - Dec 16
Hanukah -
Christmas - Dec 25
Boxing Day - Dec 26
Kwanzaa - Dec 26
Winter Solstice

Just to start. Any more so we don't offend anyone? :wink:

Sign me up Bella. You forgot my wedding anni on Dec.23 Smile
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Shocked

Sounds fun, doesn't it!
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:17 pm
St. Lucia's Day actually involves a week of celebration, as I remember, and Hanukkah is seven days. The twelve days of Xmas were actually twelve days of celebration, thru 12th night, Jan. 6, with a little bit of partying, gorging, dancing, drinking, singing, visiting, each day.

So I figure with a little creative fudging of dates, in the all-yer-holidays-on-Monday spirit, we can probably figure out a way to write off the entire month of December and the first week of January to living very very large.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:20 pm
username wrote:
St. Lucia's Day actually involves a week of celebration, as I remember, and Hanukkah is seven days. The twelve days of Xmas were actually twelve days of celebration, thru 12th night, Jan. 6, with a little bit of partying, gorging, dancing, drinking, singing, visiting, each day.

So I figure with a little creative fudging of dates, in the all-yer-holidays-on-Monday spirit, we can probably figure out a way to write off the entire month of December and the first week of January to living very very large.

I was just going to say something very much like that Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:39 am
username wrote:
... we can probably figure out a way to write off the entire month of December and the first week of January to living very very large.
Toss in Martin Luther King, Mardi Gras, St. Valentine, a couple dead presidents, and we can pretty well write off December, January, and February! In that case, for efficiency's sake, we might as well knock of for Thanksgiving and stay out 'til the Easter thing is over. I'm starting to like this idea.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:48 am
All RIGHT! We're on a ROLL!
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:53 am
As Pere Noel said, "Laissez les bon temps rouler."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
You can boycott for whatever reason you want. And groups do whether they are Christian or not. Some groups would boycott if you had Merry Christmas up - I know many Jews who do, for example. Fortunately in the US we have the freedom to boycott even for a completely inane reason.

When you statedÂ…"It makes me wonder just how far the Christians will go to make sure we all convert to their faith ... or else." And "I'm just a little appalled the Christians have taken the offensive in a legal way. I thought they hated lawyers."

These statements come across as biased. No all Christians try to convert others and most certainly don't say or else. I certainly don't understand the statement they hate lawyers especially where there are many lawyers that are Christian. It may not have been your intention to say something biased, however, it came across that way. Any time you make a blanket statement about a group, it is biased.

Falwell is not alone, but 24,000 members is a far cry from the complete Christian faith. As a matter of fact there are many denominations of the Christian faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:36 pm
Time for me to post my Christmas Story
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:55 am
Stevepax wrote:
The Christians can do anything they want as long as they don't do it to my children. If they want to, they can construct a full scale nativity scene on their roof. Have at it. Just keep it on their property. Sing praises in church, not in my kids school. Let them keep their celebration to themselves as it fits them. and don't insist that I celebrate it with them. I don't make them celebrate my faith.

Most of all, don't boycott my store because I don't choose to celebrate a faith which isn't my own.

Stevepax,

I'm with Linkat on this one. I understand your right to say "Happy Holidays" in your store, as well, for that matter as Target's decision to do the same.

What I don't understand is why you would then reject my right to boycott Target or your store, based on that decision? You have no legal right to my business and I can choose to visit your store or not based on price, location, business practices, or because you refuse to say "Merry Christmas".
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
Fine, and then we'll boycott you, slkshock, for attempting to force your religion on someone else. Hmm, keep this up and we'll decommercialize Xmas whether it wants to be decommercialized or not.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:26 am
Out of curiosity, what statement of slkshock's do you use to claim he is attempting to force his religion on someone else?

As far as boycotting him or his business (if he has one) then that's fine. Go ahead. I think that was the point of his post. If you don't like a business's prices, quality, practices or whatever, you don't have to shop there.
0 Replies