HOUSE SHOWDOWN ON IRAQ

blueflame1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
Murtha Says Americans Agree With Him By DAN LOVERING, Associated Press Writer

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - Rep. John Murtha (news, bio, voting record) on Monday defended his call to pull U.S. troops from Iraq, saying he was reflecting Americans' sentiment in his comments last week.

"The public turned against this war before I said it," said Murtha, a key Democrat on military issues. "The public is emotionally tied into finding a solution to this thing, and that's what I hope this administration is going to find out."

Murtha, 73, a decorated Vietnam veteran and the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, said he has received support from the public since calling for the troop pullout on Thursday. He spoke at a news conference after a speech to a civic group in his hometown of Johnstown, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh

He said he has gotten e-mails from World War II veterans and parents of American soldiers in Iraq.

Murtha, first elected to Congress in 1974, said his great-grandfather served in the Civil War, his father and three uncles in World War II, and that he and his brothers were Marines. Murtha said western Pennsylvania, where his district is located, is a "hotbed of patriotism and they've lost confidence in this effort."

He said Iraqis must take control of their own destiny.

"We cannot win this militarily. Our tactics themselves keep us from winning," Murtha said.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Murtha Says Americans Agree With Him By DAN LOVERING, Associated Press Writer

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - Rep. John Murtha (news, bio, voting record) on Monday defended his call to pull U.S. troops from Iraq, saying he was reflecting Americans' sentiment in his comments last week.

"The public turned against this war before I said it," said Murtha, a key Democrat on military issues. "The public is emotionally tied into finding a solution to this thing, and that's what I hope this administration is going to find out."

Murtha, 73, a decorated Vietnam veteran and the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, said he has received support from the public since calling for the troop pullout on Thursday. He spoke at a news conference after a speech to a civic group in his hometown of Johnstown, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh

He said he has gotten e-mails from World War II veterans and parents of American soldiers in Iraq.

Murtha, first elected to Congress in 1974, said his great-grandfather served in the Civil War, his father and three uncles in World War II, and that he and his brothers were Marines. Murtha said western Pennsylvania, where his district is located, is a "hotbed of patriotism and they've lost confidence in this effort."

He said Iraqis must take control of their own destiny.

"We cannot win this militarily. Our tactics themselves keep us from winning," Murtha said.

Assuming this is true,then why did all but 9 dems vote AGAINST the resolution?
If they truly represent the people,then they would have voted FOR the resolution.

Dems have to hope we lose in Iraq.
Because,when we win,they cannot claim any part of the victory fpr themselves,because they are ALL on record as opposing the war.

For them to succeed politically,we have to lose.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
Quote:
Dems have to hope we lose in Iraq.

I'm not a Dem but I think I can say with certainty that if this war came out to the very best hopes of everyone AND this administration was flung into ten years of menial service in a grubby New Jersey carwash, then that would be the very best of consequences for all.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:08 pm
I think, mysteryman, that the language in the resolution that was voted on in the House Friday night bore little connection to what Mr Murtha was suggesting. (Did anyone, by the way, watch that session on C-Span? Stunning).
Johnboy is pretty thick-skinned. But when I read from a fellow A2Ker that "Dems have to hope we lose in Irag...and when we win..." my head kind of snaps back. Did the poster really mean to say that?

Anyway, there have been some bitter comments exchanged in the last several pages. I particularly liked the line that went something like "It is not polite to speak to someone unless you have been invited to." What an incredible society that poster must live in. You can't talk to them and they can't invite you to talk to them because...you haven't invited them to talk to you to invite them. A land of silence.

I am asking, mysteryman, this question (directed to any of yall):
"...When we win..." How do we define the word win? What has to happen before we can say that we won? And the word when? When is when?

The public is growing restless about Iraq. And the 435 members of Congress up for relection next November are getting nervous. Mr Murtha was the first one to jump in. I think that after the December recess there will be others from both parties.

Sorry for the long post (not really, I'm just saying that). My excuse is that I don't just quote or cut and paste articles. Rather it all comes from...
-johnboy-
0 Replies