HOUSE SHOWDOWN ON IRAQ

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:41 am
relevant re joe's last post...

Quote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-curveball20nov20,0,1753730.story?coll=la-home-headlines
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:45 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes, Viet Nam's been floating around since the beginning, (it's in our national psyche afterall) but these comments of late, and I'm speaking of conversations I've had with real people, real believers, have recently started having a air of flop sweat about them. As if they have realized just how deep the doo doo they stepped in is. And how much of a dodo the dodo leading them through the doo doo is.

All this hoodoo about who thought the intelligence was right is pathetic. It's the job of the executive to determine what's true, not what everyone is reporting. Leadership is not stenography. It's asking the questions that may question your core beliefs, it's asking "Who disagrees and why?" We don't have that leader, but that's supposed to be a state secret.

Bush listened only to those who bolstered his own beliefs. We'll see that clearly IF the Senate ever finishes the review and does it honestly. It's a common mistake of bad leaders. I imagine it was the way Bush ran his companies in Texas, he doesn't like deviation from the initial concept. He reportedly gets prickly about anything out of focus.

When you are an oil pumper all that kind of thinking will do is lose you and your stockholders a few million here and there.

Of course, we've fired or retired all those in the intelligence community who failed to provide the true picture of conditions in Iraq.

Sure we have.

Joe(they are still toiling away, trying to figure out what he wants to hear now.)Nation

So it is here, too, but here nobody I have ever heard, no matter how far right, now defends the war, nor is there this "stab in the back" lie hawked around.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:22 am
Quote:
What I Knew Before the Invasion

By Bob Graham

Sunday, November 20, 2005; Page B07

In the past week President Bush has twice attacked Democrats for being hypocrites on the Iraq war. "[M]ore than 100 Democrats in the House and Senate, who had access to the same intelligence, voted to support removing Saddam Hussein from power," he said.

The president's attacks are outrageous. Yes, more than 100 Democrats voted to authorize him to take the nation to war. Most of them, though, like their Republican colleagues, did so in the legitimate belief that the president and his administration were truthful in their statements that Saddam Hussein was a gathering menace -- that if Hussein was not disarmed, the smoking gun would become a mushroom cloud.

The president has undermined trust. No longer will the members of Congress be entitled to accept his veracity. Caveat emptor has become the word. Every member of Congress is on his or her own to determine the truth.

As chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence during the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001, and the run-up to the Iraq war, I probably had as much access to the intelligence on which the war was predicated as any other member of Congress.

I, too, presumed the president was being truthful -- until a series of events undercut that confidence.

In February 2002, after a briefing on the status of the war in Afghanistan, the commanding officer, Gen. Tommy Franks, told me the war was being compromised as specialized personnel and equipment were being shifted from Afghanistan to prepare for the war in Iraq -- a war more than a year away. Even at this early date, the White House was signaling that the threat posed by Saddam Hussein was of such urgency that it had priority over the crushing of al Qaeda.

In the early fall of 2002, a joint House-Senate intelligence inquiry committee, which I co-chaired, was in the final stages of its investigation of what happened before Sept. 11. As the unclassified final report of the inquiry documented, several failures of intelligence contributed to the tragedy. But as of October 2002, 13 months later, the administration was resisting initiating any substantial action to understand, much less fix, those problems.

At a meeting of the Senate intelligence committee on Sept. 5, 2002, CIA Director George Tenet was asked what the National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) provided as the rationale for a preemptive war in Iraq. An NIE is the product of the entire intelligence community, and its most comprehensive assessment. I was stunned when Tenet said that no NIE had been requested by the White House and none had been prepared. Invoking our rarely used senatorial authority, I directed the completion of an NIE.

Tenet objected, saying that his people were too committed to other assignments to analyze Saddam Hussein's capabilities and will to use chemical, biological and possibly nuclear weapons. We insisted, and three weeks later the community produced a classified NIE.

There were troubling aspects to this 90-page document. While slanted toward the conclusion that Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction stored or produced at 550 sites, it contained vigorous dissents on key parts of the information, especially by the departments of State and Energy. Particular skepticism was raised about aluminum tubes that were offered as evidence Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear program. As to Hussein's will to use whatever weapons he might have, the estimate indicated he would not do so unless he was first attacked.

Under questioning, Tenet added that the information in the NIE had not been independently verified by an operative responsible to the United States. In fact, no such person was inside Iraq. Most of the alleged intelligence came from Iraqi exiles or third countries, all of which had an interest in the United States' removing Hussein, by force if necessary.

The American people needed to know these reservations, and I requested that an unclassified, public version of the NIE be prepared. On Oct. 4, Tenet presented a 25-page document titled "Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs." It represented an unqualified case that Hussein possessed them, avoided a discussion of whether he had the will to use them and omitted the dissenting opinions contained in the classified version. Its conclusions, such as "If Baghdad acquired sufficient weapons-grade fissile material from abroad, it could make a nuclear weapon within a year," underscored the White House's claim that exactly such material was being provided from Africa to Iraq.

From my advantaged position, I had earlier concluded that a war with Iraq would be a distraction from the successful and expeditious completion of our aims in Afghanistan. Now I had come to question whether the White House was telling the truth -- or even had an interest in knowing the truth.

On Oct. 11, I voted no on the resolution to give the president authority to go to war against Iraq. I was able to apply caveat emptor. Most of my colleagues could not.

The writer is a former Democratic senator from Florida. He is currently a fellow at Harvard University's Institute of Politics
link
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
Quote:
When I saw McCain, he had not yet read James Fallows's cover story in the December Atlantic magazine, titled "Why Iraq Has No Army." In an amply documented and deeply disturbing account, Fallows shows how hollow has been the administration claim to "standing up" Iraqi security forces capable of replacing the U.S. troops. Fallows also argues that doing so at this point would require fundamental shifts in Pentagon priorities -- on everything from troop rotation to the allocation of weapons budgets -- that are not likely to come from Rumsfeld or Bush.

link

For more of the essay below, you'll need to subscribe or pick up the Dec issue of Atlantic from a newsstand...

Quote:
Why Iraq Has No Army
(page 1 of 6)

0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:29 am
Even the Vietnam vets serving in Iraq say it's nothing like Vietnam.

Perhaps the MSM would like to poll all those currently serving in Iraq on whether an immediate pullout is a good idea. Of course, they won't, but it's not difficult to figure out why.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
Perhaps we ought to release foolish citizens and their political representatives from the onerous task of making decisions on war and turn it over to the military?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:02 am
A bit knee-jerk, dontcha think, blatham?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
I don't see the point, JW, everytime a military official has said anything was lacking in the war effort, whether it concerned the number of troops needed or the lack of sufficient means to secure vehicles, he or she has been removed or retired. All we would learn from your poll would be who would be retired or removed from command next.

And only the Republicans are using the word immediate. The Congressman said that nothing further could be gained militarily and that the troops should come home. He didn't say by Christmas, although two years ago several White House officials mentioned that day as a possibility of the war's end.

Joe(My, how time flies!)Nation
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
What value from your suggested poll? Will we find that the majority of soldiers believe the mission they are on is valid? What set of soldiers anywhere at anytime would not believe likewise? So what would it tell us? How should civilians respond?

And how ought we to value your rather covert suggestion that the 'msm' would avoid such a poll for nefarious ideological reasons? If your local paper doesn't bother to poll the local football team to see how they feel about the upcoming afternoon game, would we conclude that they are avoiding something?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:27 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I don't see the point, JW, everytime a military official has said anything was lacking in the war effort, whether it concerned the number of troops needed or the lack of sufficient means to secure vehicles, he or she has been removed or retired. All we would learn from your poll would be who would be retired or removed from command next.

And only the Republicans are using the word immediate. The Congressman said that nothing further could be gained militarily and that the troops should come home. He didn't say by Christmas, although two years ago several White House officials mentioned that day as a possibility of the war's end.

Joe(My, how time flies!)Nation

Murtha's now infamous speech said withdrawal should begin immediately--I believe he used that word--he certainly said as quickly as it could expiditiously be done. He thought six months for completion of withdrawal would be about right. Then he said the troops should be deployed nearby so they could go right back in if necessary.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
what Murtha actually said
Quote:
My plan calls:

To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.

To create a quick reaction force in the region.

To create an over- the- horizon presence of Marines.

To diplomatically pursue security and stability in Iraq
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:46 am
The refusal to understand how bad things are is the latest in the string of mis-steps this administration and the GOP have made in this effort.
They went in too soon.
They went in on faulty, moldy, biased intelligence.
They overestimated the enthusiasm of the Iraqis for their liberation and the amount of time it would take for Saddam to fall.
They underestimated the number of troops it would take in the aftermath and the tenacity of the Sunnis, oops, the insurgents.
They overestimated, and depended upon, the power of Chalabi to solidify support for a pro-Western government.
They continue to underestimate the both the efforts of the Saudis on the one hand and the Iranians on the other, both of whom keep saying "Who us?"
They are now committed to staying until the insurgency is suppressed and yet the longer they stay the stronger the insurgents become.

They should have taken advantage of this most recent chance and said "You know what? This IS now an internal matter for the Iraqis."

They goofed it.

Joe(too bad. Thisclose to getting something right.)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
what Murtha actually said
Quote:
My plan calls:

To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.

To create a quick reaction force in the region.

To create an over- the- horizon presence of Marines.

To diplomatically pursue security and stability in Iraq

To wantonly split every infinitive.....
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:40 pm
Those who follow the news know that President Bush indicated that Representative Murtha has a right to his opinion. The President, however, does not agree with his opinion.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:29 pm
Blotham as usual, bloviates:

His posts do not cover the essential points concerning Iraq. Those who are interested in looking at the whole picture and not left wing garbage can find the full story in today's edition of the Chicago Tribune-November 20th edition. I will quote from selections.

quote:

"The first authoratative, if indirect, evaluations of those CIA assertions came Oct. 2, 2003, in an interim report from David Kay, the chief US weapons inspector. Kay confirmed that he had not found stockpiles of illicit weapons. He told Congress WHAT HE HAD FOUND.

...dozens of WMD related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq CONCEALED from the United Nations during the inspections that began in 2002.

Evidence of a clandestine network of laboratories and safehouses within the Iraqi Intelligence Services that contained equipment SUITABLE FOR ONGOING WEAPONS RESEARCH.

A systematic sanitation of documentary and computer evidence in a side of offices, laboratories and companies suspecte of WMD work. Kay said it was not clear if Hussein's ambitions focused on "large-scale military efforts of biological warfare terror weapons but that Hussien had all key elements for maintaining a capability for resuming BW production. Kay said multiple sources had said Iraq had explored resuming production of chemical weaponry possibly as late as 2003- that is, until the eve of the war.

Iraqi scientists and senior government officials have said Hussein remained firmly committed to acquiring nuclear weapons.

KAY'S BOTTOM LINE: It was reasonable to conclude that Iraq posed an imminent threat, He told National Public Radio. "What we learned during the inspection made Iraq a more dangerous place potentially than, in fact, we thought it was even before the war....

David Kay's successor as chief US weapons inspector Charles Duelfer reported to Congress on Oct. 6, 2004, that he like Kay, had not turned up stockpiles of illicit weapons in Iraq but DUELFER ADDED AN INTRIGUING NEW DIMENSION TO THE DEBATE--A POSSIBLE PLOT LINE OF WHY HUSSEIN HAD HOARDED NOT HIS WEAPONS BUT, RATHER HIS ABILITY TO PRODUCE THEM...A NATION CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TOXIC WEAPONS ON RELATIVELY SHORT NOTICE WOULDN'T NEED TO KEEP STOCKPILES.

Hussein had come "palpably close to eradicating Un sanctions against Iraq, Duelfer concluded, by corrupting the UN's oil for food program, plundering it to bribe officals and citizens of influentional countries, he sought to balance the need to cooperate with Un inspectors --to gain support for lifting sanctions--with his intention to preserve Iraq's intellectual capital for WMD and with a miminum of foreign intrusiveness and loss of face.

Duelfer's bottom line:

AS SOON AS HUSSEIN'S FRIENDS AT THE UN SUCCEEDED IN REMOVING SANCTIONS FROM IRAQ, THE DICTATOR WOULD REBUILD HIS PRIOR WMD PROGRAMS AND ENHANCE THEM ON ACQUIRING NUKES...

Then there was the pre-war testimony of even the Administration's harshest critic. French President Jacques Chirac-

There is a problem--the PROBABLE POSSESSION OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION BY AN UNCONTROLLABLE COUNTRY-IRAQ"---Chirac told Time Magazine in February 2003( February 2003). THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY IS ...RIGHT IN HAVING DECIDED IRAQ SHOULD BE DISARMED"> In other words, Chirac disagreed not with Bush's assessment of Iraq but rather with his proposed remedy.

In putting so much emphais on weapons, the White House advanced it smore provacative, least verifiable case for war WHEN OTHERS WOULD HAVE SUFFICIED. WITH HIS SUPPORT FOR PALESTINIAN AND OTHER TERRORISTS, HUSSEIN WAS A DESTABLEIZING FORECE IN THE MIDDLE EAST. HIS BALLISTIC MISSLES PROGRAM, WHICH THREATENED SUCH US ALLIES AS ISRAEL, TURKEY AND KUWAIT, GROSSLY VIOLATED THE UN'S LAST CHANCE RESOLUTION 1441 AS DID HIS REFUSAL EVEN TO DIVULGE THE STATUS OF HIS WEAPONS PROGRAMS. WORSE, WITH THE UN FAILING TO ENFORCE ITS DEMANDS, HUSSEIN FREELY PERPETUATED THE GENOCIDAL SLAUGHTER OF HIS PEOPLE.

BASED ON HUSSEIN'S INDISPUTABLE RECORD, THE PRESIDENT HAD AMPLE CAUSE TO WANT REGIME CHANGE IN IRAQ. PUT SHORT, THE BUMPER STICKER ACCUSATION THAT BUSH LIED AND PEOPLE DID WOULD BE MOOT TODAY IF BUSH HAD STUCK TO KNOWN TRUTHS.

Let the Stepford Wife, Nancy Pelosi, bring that "evidence" to Sensenbrenner, the head of the Judiciary Committee which begins all impeachments.

Sensenbrenner will fall down laughing...

We cannot forget what the 20th century's most astute President said:

"The hard fact is that so long as Saddam remains in power, he threatens the well-being of his people, the peace of his region, the security of the world"

and

"And mark my words, he will develop weapons of mass destruction, He will deploy them and he will use them"

Bill Clinton- Dec. 16th 1998-after giving the order that missles be launched against Iraq.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:30 pm
Hillary is a bitch!
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:33 pm
Dyslexia-- I don't understand. Why do you say that about Hillary? Do you have evidence to prove that?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Lash wrote:
Stupid.

This is what I'm paying for.

Is what I thought - except, of course, I'm not paying.

twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
Awhile back, it was a waste of money, an hour later, it's priceless.

Yeah, odd that was.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
Mortkat wrote:
It is apparent that Blatham has not the slightest idea of how the US government works.

Blatham does not know that the House and Senate are the Legislative bodies.

Blatham has either forgotten or not read that the House and Senate HAD to be consulted in order for troops to be sent to Iraq. [..]

I am astounded that he does not know that.

Oh my god ... he's back again too.

A2K is definitely addictive, apparently.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Perhaps the MSM would like to poll all those currently serving in Iraq on whether an immediate pullout is a good idea. Of course, they won't, but it's not difficult to figure out why.

How many prominent Democratic politicians have you heard pleading for "immediate withdrawal" lately?

In Fox's version, we have Murtha saying withdrawal should begin immediately - so that's one, or rather, one half.
0 Replies