what is the meaning of life?

Misti26

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:35 pm
Why does there have to be meaning to life? Why not just decide to be happy, to fulfill your life by living to the fullest, to appreciate each moment and to live the meaning as opposed to trying to find the meaning.

Now, if you're looking for the meaning of your life in particular, then we're afraid we have to fall back on the somewhat predictable response: "It's up to you." Many people try to give lasting meaning to their lives by making the world a better place than when they entered it, either through scientific, philosophical, or artistic contributions. Others try by raising children that can themselves make contributions and preserve important societal and religious values for future generations.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:39 pm
"Why does there have to be meaning to life? Why not just decide to be happy, to fulfill your life by living to the fullest, to appreciate each moment and to live the meaning as opposed to trying to find the meaning. "

Because some truly sick people thought ignorance might Not be a logical answer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:40 pm
NNY, You're right; I found logic to be bothersome in my life. c.i.
0 Replies

Alan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:10 pm
Dear New Haven.

As you state, There is NO reason to speculate about the meaning of life, but human nature tries anyway, because it possesses
an enquiring nature.

My point is that we are really all in the dark. Most of us conclude that we are here to procreate but that may not be the reason. There may be no reason.

Life is an environment that we find ourselves in. If so, we have no idea where that environment is, nor can we ever find out as there is no way to do so. We do not know if we have been put here by someone, (eg a god) or indeed if we are here at all! Perhaps only
our minds exist, so that we are alone and everything is imagined.

If that is true this site does not exist, nor anyone to read this.

The quest is hopeless, we are trapped inside the universe and cannot get outside or behind it to enquire.

Regards

Alan
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:26 pm
LIFE IS A CANOLLI
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:40 pm
I think, like a lot of others have said already, that if there is any meaning to life that it can only be purely individual meaning even in relation to family or groups. We each have to decide for ourselves.

NNY, you're funny -- it sounds like you need some sort of 12-step program to help you out with your addiction to thinking! Smile But I hear what you're saying -- ignorance can be a most relaxing thing sometimes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:22 pm
meaning
Shouldn't the question be something like What meaning(s) can we ascribe to our lives?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:23 pm
meaning
Shouldn't the question be something like What meaning(s) can we ascribe to our lives? For example: a canolli.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:24 pm
meaning
Shouldn't the question be something like What meaning(s) can we ascribe to our lives? For example: a canolli.

OOPS! one canolli's enough.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:25 pm
Canolli works for me...just hard to find a good one around here...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:25 pm
Farmerman has (correctly) identified life as a canolli. My answer to those who question the meaning of life is "Stuff it!"

okbye
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:24 am
A brief modification to setanta's advice:
"stuff it" with a creme cheese filling, and enjoy it; stop worrying about defining it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:46 am
BoGoWo, People who spend their time trying to figure out the "meaning of life," they've learned nothing about living life to the fullest. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:52 am
When I was apprenticing at Palmerston with Jamie Kennedy, we did a a Chocolate Canolli, filled with fresh raspberries and chocolate mousse. A little whipped cream and raspberry coulis finished it off, if memory serves me right....that is about as close to the meaning of life as you can get Very Happy
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
BoGoWo, People who spend their time trying to figure out the "meaning of life," they've learned nothing about living life to the fullest. c.i.

I beg to differ.

Examining ones life does not diminish ones learning or living life to the fullest. (whatever that means).

Matter of fact I think it leads to a fuller life in terms of understanding,...and more.
Those who live life to the fullest, as you say, may be the most delusional;........ caught up in samsara, maya (illusion), without even knowing it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
twyvel, Some people look at pictures of the Taj Mahal. I go to see it in person. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:18 pm
truth
It seems that we have reduced ourselves to two camps, (1) those who say the unexamine life is not worth living, and (2) those who say that the unlived life is not worth examining.
Can we say that both positions are valid and not mutually exclusive?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:28 pm
I'll agree with JLNobody.

Live your life.

Bottom line.

However you see fit.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Some people look at pictures of the Taj Mahal. I go to see it in person.

A bit of false reasoning that, dear CI, without previously seeing pictures of the Taj Mahal, I doubt it would have occurred to you to go there.

Rotarians raison d'ĂȘtre is "Service to Others." It is not such a bad ideal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:58 pm
ok JL , you convinced me. I refute my previous position and now declare that life is not a cannoli.
0 Replies