what is the meaning of life?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 08:36 am
@north,
Humour, dear sir, makes our lives more fun to live. Without it, it's a life without joy and laughter.
Pukka Sahib

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:24 am
@snood,
Count Tolstoy spent much of his later years searching for the meaning of his life, and to find the answer to life’s questions. For someone who had everything in life - fame, fortune, family, freedom - he wanted more; he wanted to know why. He studied all the sciences and philosophy, as well as the great religions of the world. He consulted the greatest teachers, scientists, philosophers and theologians, but he could find none to give any answer to the simple question of existence. All that anyone could tell him was that man and the universe exists, but that there was no explanation for it. No matter how he posed the question, it all came back to the point that life was meaningless; and he knew no more than he knew before. Then, in the end, he ceased to doubt, and took solace in the certain knowledge of his false beliefs. See Leo Tolstoy, A Confession and Other Religious Writings (1879-82).

In 1901, Tolstoy was excommunicated from the church by the Russian Synod and placed on a watch list of subversives by the Czar's government.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:00 am
@Pukka Sahib,
PS, Each individual seeks life's worth on their own terms. It's not something that can be found outside of one self. Tolstoy was seeking something he could never find, but in his quest to seek it, he learned much more about life than he realized.
Pukka Sahib

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am getting old. Having lived this long, I think that I should have learned something about life that would be of some use. One lives and learns, and learns mostly to accept things for what they are. For many, it takes a long time to learn this simple lesson. “Too soon old, too late smart” - as the saying goes. Still, considering past mistakes, one should be glad not to be young and have to go through it all again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:04 pm
@Pukka Sahib,
Looking at our life if we were lucky enough to have experienced what we consider the richness of life, which to me are family, friends, world travel, good food and drinks, good books, satisfying job/career, a balance of sadness-happiness, and good health, and enjoying the arts, I believe are in fact the best it has to offer. I was one of the lucky few in our generation that enjoyed most of what I value.

I love world travel, and you can visit my travelogues at [url]travelpod.com/member/c.i.222[/url]. I'm now working on my travelogue on Cuba and Mexico City which should be completed in the new few days. Please visit and enjoy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:28 pm
For me the meaning of life is good mexican food.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:30 pm
@JLNobody,
For me it's finding new and exciting ways to fool myself.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:30 pm
@JLNobody,
For me the meaning of life is bad mexican food.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:32 pm
@JLNobody,
The mexican food experience? Wink
Around here it's a russian roulette.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:59 pm
@JLNobody,
JLN, Real Mexican food doesn't taste anything like what we eat in California.
Even the ceasar salad (*created in Mexico) is much different in Mexico than what is served in the rest of the world. I like the ceasar salad served outside of Mexico.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was born in California and didn't leave til I was in my thirties. As I recall the best Mexican food is found in East L.A. (even better than much of Mexico).
dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:37 pm
@JLNobody,
best mexican food I've had was at a Japanese restaurant on the outskirts of Hermosillo Mexico (Hy 15)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@JLNobody,
Lots of small storefront places in LA, especially east LA, cook mexican food from specific locales the families were from .. so there's a wide variety .. well, we've talked about this before.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:23 pm
@dyslexia,
The Japanese are famous for copying and improving on other cultures.
Osso, talk about East L.A. Mexican food again, but this time slowly.
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 01:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Humour, dear sir, makes our lives more fun to live. Without it, it's a life without joy and laughter.

true
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 01:55 am

I have been to the depths of thought , the place as Aristotle said ," circle within a circle for infinity "

what brought me back was the relisation that life , the Universe , was more than thought , it was also about experience
north

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:21 am
@north,
north wrote:

I have been to the depths of thought , the place as Aristotle said ," sphere within a sphere for infinity "

what brought me back was the relisation that life , the Universe , was more than thought , it was also about experience, life

enjoy life to the fullest , where ever that takes you , hopefully to the good
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:06 am
@north,
north, If you are interested to see my travelogues, please visit [url]travelpod.com/member/c.i.222[/url]. I'm now working on my journey to Cuba, and will follow with my visit to Mexico City within the next few days.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
What is THE meaning of life? That's a poor question to ask. There are many meanings, and we make them up. Sometimes they're clever and sometimes they're dumb. Which is the following?
What is the meaning of a tree?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:37 pm
@JLNobody,
JLN, I didn't know I was the one who posed that question.